Disney

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Elle said:
T's favorite park was EPCOT, he's already decided that we have to make that our first park we visit on our next trip. I'm not saying older kids don't have fun at Disney too, it's just a different type of fun, at 9 when we return, he's not going to think he's meeting Mickey Mouse, he know's it's just some college kid in a suit.

That's fine. You really can't appreciate going with older kids until you've done it. :lol:

krystieg

We have been going to WDW every year for about 4 years now. When we first went my daughter was almost 2. She loved it. She didn't enjoy the characters much but loved everything else. She looks forward to going back every year. My son went on his first trip when he was 5 months old and that was good. He slept most of the time and didn't stop us from doing anything. Granted my parents are there to help out when needed it. This last January my daughter was 5 and my son was 16 months and it didn't go so great for him. He would get very cranky in the middle of the day at nap time, so my parents would take him back to the camper and put him down. Plus he was walking and didn't want to sit in the stroller much. So it was a little rough this year but my 5 year old absolutly loved it!!! So I would say the 9 month old would be ok, but after that wait until they are 4 or 5. Although we will be going back next year.

lovinmaryland

hborror said:
I have booked my vaca to Disney for Dec 1st and by that time my baby will be 9 months. I am now wondering if it's a bad idea to take a 9 month old to Disney? My other daughter will almost be 6 so I know it's the perfect time for her. Has anyone taken a baby this young to Disney before?
i used to live in san diego so we were a hop, skip, and a jump away from disneyland. i have taken my kids numerous times and they were 7 and under. yes it was hectic with the younger ones but i still enjoyed it. no matter what i am sure your 6 year old will love it.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
We went two years ago, kids were 4 and 11. We took my little sister too, who was 13. They all had a blast. The little one still remembers some of it, but we plan to go back when she is around 8, and the oldest will be 15. All their ages had things to do.

They have strollers you can rent at each park too, for $10 a day (they give you a ticket in case you go to another park and then you get a free stroller sicne you paid the $10 at another park that day). We got these for when the little one got a bit tired of walking - this stopped her from getting too tired and grumpy. They have stroller parking at every ride. I didn't leave my belongings in the stroller, though, because I don't trust people! :lmao: Luckily, because I had no diaper bag, we were packed real light and it was no biggie to grab the one little bag and be off to the ride.

It seemed that those parents with kids who couldn't walk and weren't potty trained and had to have bottles were miserable by late morning/early afternoon. :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
People always say young kids aren't old enough to "remember", but I don't think that has anything to do with it. They don't remember the first time you held them or changed their diaper, but it doesn't make it any less special.

That said, Kwillia's right about melting down children - and it was ALL DAY we saw this, not just in the late afternoon. The 9 month old is going to be the bigger problem because they're mobile at that age, yet still can't walk. They'll stroll for awhile, then they want to be unconfined and you can't very well let them crawl around in the streets of Disney. The 6 year old will be fine if you rest her rest frequently so she doesn't get so wound up and exhausted.

Crabby children will make your trip a nightmare, then you've spent all that money to be miserable. So I'd advise leaving the baby with grandma so you can focus on the 6 year old and keep her sane.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
cattitude said:
That's fine. You really can't appreciate going with older kids until you've done it.
I've done Disney with small children, and with teens - with teens is a LOT less stressful and more fun.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
rack'm said:
We're going back in July, hopefully they'll remember it this time.

Yeah, they'll remember sweating their asses off and the LONG lines. :lmao:

The first time I went was in July. BIG mistake. Nothing like standing in line in the sun in 90+ degree heat and sweltering humidity. :hot:

Just remember to go early in the morning, leave in the heat of the afternoon, and come back in the early evening.

lovinmaryland

what about the disney cruise? i mean it would be about the same price as your disney world stay, with hotel, food, etc...

i took my kids on a weekend cruise and they loved it. they have activities for the kids to do all day and it is included in the price (evening babysitting is extra though). we went on a royal carribean cruise for 4 days and it was 349 a person for the first 2 and 99 for each additional.

something to look into

rack'm

Jaded
jazz lady said:
Just remember to go early in the morning, leave in the heat of the afternoon, and come back in the early evening.

That's the plan.....I'm renting a townhouse for the week, so we can go back there during the heat of the day to swim and chill out.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Dear Karma Giver...no, I don't think my way is the right way. Where did I say that? The poster asked a question and I commented. :rolleyes:

I saw way too many screaming kids and exasperated parents. And I did take my first son when he was two. Sure, I have fond memories of him seeing Mickey, etc. but he would have enjoyed seeing somebody in a costume at the local WalMart too.

H

hborror

lovinmaryland said:
what about the disney cruise? i mean it would be about the same price as your disney world stay, with hotel, food, etc...

i took my kids on a weekend cruise and they loved it. they have activities for the kids to do all day and it is included in the price (evening babysitting is extra though). we went on a royal carribean cruise for 4 days and it was 349 a person for the first 2 and 99 for each additional.

something to look into

You know I watched a special on that and to me it looks like the cruise line is aimed more for older people. I would be scared to take my angel :angel: :lmao:

H

hborror

rack'm said:
That's the plan.....I'm renting a townhouse for the week, so we can go back there during the heat of the day to swim and chill out.

Is that cheaper then staying in a Disney hotel?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
How old is she now? I doubt she will remember much when she's older unless she goes back.

Disney is about so much more than Magic Kingdom. I just don't think the younger kids can appreciate everything Disney has to offer until they're older.

My kids were 11, 16 & 18...perfect ages in my opinon. The could go on any ride or attraction they chose, didn't have temper tantrums and if Ott and I chose to sit out something, the kids were fine alone.

She'll be 8 next month. We still look at the pictures and her fondest memory was having the Princess lunch in the castle. We did most of Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom.

I had more fun than I even expected to have and look forward to going back again sometime. :lol:

lovinmaryland

hborror said:
You know I watched a special on that and to me it looks like the cruise line is aimed more for older people. I would be scared to take my angel :angel: :lmao:

yes i see where you are coming from, but the disney cruise line has four or five different rooms for the appropriate age groups, so while your six year old is hanging with mickey and crew your baby will be w/ the other lil ones and you will be basking by the pool :howdy: now that is a vacation :)

Elle

Happy Camper!
hborror said:
Is that cheaper then staying in a Disney hotel?
Most offsite lodging is cheaper but remember you also have to pay $10 a day to park at the parks. With a Dis hotel you can use their transportation or your own and you don't have to pay to park.

Another off topic thing I just thought of, if you are going to ride the monorail be sure to ask the station attendant if there is anyone riding the front wiht the driver, my son loved doing this.

jenbengen

Watch it
hborror said:
I have booked my vaca to Disney for Dec 1st and by that time my baby will be 9 months. I am now wondering if it's a bad idea to take a 9 month old to Disney? My other daughter will almost be 6 so I know it's the perfect time for her. Has anyone taken a baby this young to Disney before?

I have been to Disney many, many times with my daughter and grew up around there. I wouldn't take any kid to Disney until they are at least 3. Definitely not a baby that is 9 months old if you want to enjoy it. I don't want to damper your plans, I'm just telling you from experience what I have discovered. I'd want somebody to be honest to me. :howdy:

If you have a grandparent or somebody else who is willing to go simply to watch the baby at the parks and all, then it may be better. Otherwise, you are tag teaming with hubby all day and missing out.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Vince said:
Took the kids to Disneyland in Ca. Son was 1 and daughter was 3. Big mistake. Besides them not remembering any of it, an infant at Disney is a very bad idea. You don't enjoy anything. Wait till the kids are much older or find someone to babysit and take the 6 year old.

I have to agree. I went to Disneyland in CA when I was about 3 and remember nothing about it although my sister, who was around 6 at the time, does. :ohwell:

But my mom loves to remind me about bumping my head on the Dumbo ride and :bawl: my eyes out. :rolleyes:

Elle

Happy Camper!
hborror said:
Certain ones yes but there are lots of family cruise lines also.

Disney, Royal Caribbean and some Carnival itineraries are great for families

Most cruise lines charge per person so it might cost a little more(at the parks anyone under 3 is free). And you'll have the same other drawbacks as at the parks with the baby.