Do you have career satisfaction?

PeoplesElbow

I have been searching for career satisfaction and am wondering if it is overrated and am I wanting something that is unlikely to happen. I know people who would kill to have the freedom I have in my work day, but others I work with can't handle the stress. I don't mind the stress so much if I get to do more than just plug the hole in the dam, but lately that's all that it has been is plugging hole after hole, many of which are created by people who have no desire to learn.

Long ago my dad told me it was called work for a reason and that you don't have to like it.

My career satisfaction peaked in the early 90s and went downhill quickly thereafter. When it peaked, it was good. Great, even. I loved what I was doing, and was making a real contribution to my field and company.

As we approached 5 years just prior to retirement, it was basically 'get thru the day, the end is near'.

Starman

My career gives me a great deal of satisfaction, but it's not because of the career itself. I work in a small company (am an owner) and there's no "career ladder" to speak of. Many people equate climbing that ladder as success. There's always another step to make before you get that grade or step increase or whatever. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but I knew pretty early on I didn't care about that stuff. I just wanted to figure out how to get paid for what I enjoy: write software.

I'll always work in some fashion, but I hope to retire from this in the next few years. I'll travel for the next few years and that'll be my full-time job until I find a place to settle for a bit. But I'll still do something. I started out in a large financial services firm in NYC, and it's difficult not to feel like a cog in the wheel in that size environment. I never worked for government directly, but I interned at a government agency many years ago. The culture there was much different, but nonetheless no less full of cogs in wheels.

DEEKAYPEE8569

My career satisfaction peaked in the early 90s and went downhill quickly thereafter. When it peaked, it was good. Great, even. I loved what I was doing, and was making a real contribution to my field and company.

As we approached 5 years just prior to retirement, it was basically 'get thru the day, the end is near'.

I retired early, but I'm still retired. 28FEB2018 to be precise. :biggrin:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Congrats. I've been retired since July 2013 at 59. No need or intention of ever working again.
Thanks, GW. Now.....I have to get serious about finding part time work; either at a place like Cheseldine Car Wash; or work for myself.....cutting grass/pressure washing in the summer; clearing driveways when it snows.....that kinda stuff.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I started my career when I was 23 years old. Loved it for a long time. Then it got boring and routine. 23 years later, I made the switch. Same company, different section. The "love" is back. Everything is brand new and I can't wait to get to work and find out what's on tap for the day.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have career satisfaction. When you can make money doing what you enjoy and are good at, it's satisfying. But everyone has a different criteria for being "satisfied".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
While quite a bumpy ride at times, overall I'd say that I couldn't imagine any other option working for me than being an entrepreneur for 40 years now...I started my first business in 1978 and started the one I have now in 1999. I worked for "somebody else" for a couple short stretches in all those years and that was too much.

But when you are looking at an empty working account and not sure where the next contract is going to come from, it certainly can get stressful.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I have been searching for career satisfaction .....

Yep .. working on computers and getting paid to do it .... yeah some customers suck, and office politics sucks ... but the JOB is good

but then I have worked a myriad of JOBS working with my hands, and I have generally been happy ... never dreading going to work

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Congrats. I've been retired since July 2013 at 59. No need or intention of ever working again.

October 31, 2009 @55 for me. 32 years, 4 years military buyback, and one year of sick leave gave me 37 under CSRS. Worked out well for me. It was a job that paid the bills, about finished putting the kids through college. Very content where I am @ 63.

The only job I did since then was being Mr. Grandma for my two local grand kids. The pay was terrible for the grandson, and when the granddaughter came along, my pay was doubled to what it was before - nothing. But the benefits of having them from about 8 weeks old up to pre-K is/was priceless.:buddies:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Funny this topic came up because last week something in me snapped during a management meeting. I had to leave the room for a minute and it was so out of character for me, phone calls came in the days after just checking on me. I'm not angry, mad or demanding changes - just done.... done with the stupidity, disorganization, years and years of the same thing, just all of it. Nothing ever changes and there really is no fruit in my labor anymore.

I have been eligible to retire and I would leave today but there is a benefit I want that would be better if I wanted just 12 months and 17 days to get.

I have plans after I retire but I will never end up in this current cog again.

It is crazy how for years I was unsure and that moment of clarity came to me in an instant. Days later, I reflected and felt relieved. I have never had anything in life hit me like that before.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Funny this topic came up because last week something in me snapped during a management meeting. I had to leave the room for a minute and it was so out of character for me, phone calls came in the days after just checking on me. I'm not angry, mad or demanding changes - just done.... done with the stupidity, disorganization, years and years of the same thing, just all of it. Nothing ever changes and there really is no fruit in my labor anymore.

Straight up, I could not do your job. I'd have snapped and started killing people a long time ago. Between the bosses and the "consumers", I'd have lost my mind the first week.

:notworthy:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Straight up, I could not do your job. I'd have snapped and started killing people a long time ago. Between the bosses and the "consumers", I'd have lost my mind the first week.

:notworthy:

My husband said the same thing. Average burnout for this job is 7 years. I have seen things I would have never seen had it not been my job.... but like I said, I'm not mad, angry about any one thing but just done.... and relieved about that decision. There is no money worth doing this and I'm sure my words shock many who knew me two decades ago when I took this transfer.... but at that instant, I just realized.

I have heard women say they had those moments when they were ready to file for a divorce. I never felt that way about him or anything else like I did at that very moment I decided I was done doing this for a living.

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
It seems, the closer I get to retirement, the less job satisfaction there is. Just kinda' riding it out right now. Looking forward to not sitting at a desk all day.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Yup, Been at the tip of naval aviation flighttest since Jan 1980 here at PAX, Seen many firsts!!!!

stgislander

PREMO Member
I'd have to say I've been very satisfied. Not many places where I can do what I do all the while dressing like a waterman and bringing my dog to work. Sometimes the waiting for a paycheck is unbearable, but when you're vested in a company like I am, you suck it up and keep charging ahead. I also look forward to the day when I no longer have to drive to an airport and catch an airplane.