Does anyone know what happened on Ball Road Saturday Night?

MMDad

Lem Putt
Hard to believe you can use being Drunk as an excuse to kill somone, but if he was sober he would be guilty of involuntary manslaughter (at the least) and would be doing more time..
This kid was convicted of Vehicular Manslaughter, which carries the same prison time as Manslaughter, but also allows a $5,000 fine. He was charged appropriately.

§ 2-207. Manslaughter.

(a) Penalty.- A person who commits manslaughter is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to:

(1) imprisonment not exceeding 10 years; or

(2) imprisonment in a local correctional facility not exceeding 2 years or a fine not exceeding $500 or both.

§ 2-209. Manslaughter by vehicle or vessel.

(a) "Vehicle" defined.- In this section, "vehicle" includes a motor vehicle, streetcar, locomotive, engine, and train.

(b) Prohibited.- A person may not cause the death of another as a result of the person's driving, operating, or controlling a vehicle or vessel in a grossly negligent manner.

(c) Name of crime.- A violation of this section is manslaughter by vehicle or vessel.

(d) Penalty.- A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 10 years or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
This kid was convicted of Vehicular Manslaughter, which carries the same prison time as Manslaughter, but also allows a $5,000 fine. He was charged appropriately.

So should he be going to jail for 20 years (he did kill 2 people) and not be back on the street in a year (or less)?

So the Jury did what they were supposed to do, the prosecutor did what he was supposed to do, and the judge gives him a way to get out of all of it, again, because he was drunk at the time.

Did he even lose his license? Like FOREVER??

citysherry

I Need a Beer
So should he be going to jail for 20 years (he did kill 2 people) and not be back on the street in a year (or less)?

So the Jury did what they were supposed to do, the prosecutor did what he was supposed to do, and the judge gives him a way to get out of all of it, again, because he was drunk at the time.

Did he even lose his license? Like FOREVER??

Personally, I would rather that people like this kid be rehabilitated (aka second chance) than see a pedophile or rapist let out of jail.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Yes, the judge probably could have given him consecutive instead of concurrent sentences.

He was sentenced on three counts, two manslaughter and one injury.

I agree that letting him out after a year, if it happens, is way too little. Drunk driving sentences are way too short as it is, but when someone dies all bets are off.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Personally, I would rather that people like this kid be rehabilitated (aka second chance) than see a pedophile or rapist let out of jail.

So, how many people would you suggest someone can kill, before they are actually punished for it??

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Oh, and he's not a kid.. he's an adult.. he was 18 at the time, people as young (and younger) serving their country and fighting in Iraq.

This wasn't a 5 year old kid, it was an 18 year old ADULT..

MMDad

Lem Putt
And in less then a year (after that) he'll probably be caught DUI again. :loser: Hopefully he won't kill anyone else.

There are people who have been successfully rehabilitated and never reoffend. He could be one. I doubt it, but since he'll be back on the streets before he's 25, we can only hope.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
So, how many people would you suggest someone can kill, before they are actually punished for it??

I'm not suggesting that anyone NOT be punished for their crime. What I am saying is - when it comes to picking between the lesser of the two evils I would choose him over a pedophile every time.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm not suggesting that anyone NOT be punished for their crime. What I am saying is - when it comes to picking between the lesser of the two evils I would choose him over a pedophile every time.

Pedophile and a killer, the only thing they have in common is neither can be rehabilitated, and both should never see the light of day without looking through steel bars.

I would bet by the year 2012 this MAN will be in the news again. Either he's going to kill himself, or he's going to kill someone else in ANOTHER DUI accident. I don't want to take the chance that the next person he kills is me or one of my family, and if he does who's going to take responsibility? his parents (AGAIN)? His defense lawyer? The JUDGE??

What's the headline going to be??

Failed Rehabilitation!??

Did we not love him enough!??

He's a good man, give him another chance?

Bull####, don't give him another chance to kill ONE more person, send him away NOW!