Does God as we think we know him exist?

BlueBird

When I was a 'believer' I had this same question. There seems to be no definitive answer to this question for Catholic and Protestant alike.

Yes, more than likely your indoctrination from a young age results in feelings of comfort and security. This is primarily why people who have been inactive in their 'faith' and then fall on hard times - divorce, death in family, illness - become re-engaged, sometimes very heavily involved, in the faith of their youth.

Religious leaning people will typically assign 'agency' to their emotional feelings. This is also why people say "everything happens for a reason", etc,. It sounds like to me you still have a very strong inclination to gravitate back to the faith of your youth. But, you also seem to have a healthy respect critical thinking. Reason will always line up in opposition of the Abrahamic faiths. I have been both a practicing Catholic and Protestant. I am obviously neither now, but that's neither here nor there. Since you don't sound like the type to become a sanctimonious a-hole pushing your belief system on others, you should choose the spiritual life that you are comfortable with. As for me, I am a humanist with Tibetan Buddhism teachings as a guide. It fits with the way I would like to live my life and doesn't require intellectual dishonesty with myself.

This is a very thought provoking answer so thank you for posting. From a psychological perspective I think you hit the nail on the head more than once as it relates to the why's I want to go back to church. It's familiar, sure we've all been indoctrinated in one way or another and institutionalized is a word that comes to mind when we default back to what we know and what made us feel secure. Take anything away from a person after it's become embedded in their routine and that person will feel that something is missing.

Religion is different though because we have scripture and evidence that something great happened for all of humanity. The birth of Jesus Christ who died for our sins so that we may be forgiven. What if this isn't just a story created by man, what if it's all real? We're told to believe and to have faith, but as humans can we really be expected to truly believe with out ever doubting? I find it unreasonable to believe that any organized religion should expect us to.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Bluebird, for what it's worth, I understand your questions and musings. I grew up Baptist, then Episcopalian, went to church with Catholics, then traced my roots to Cherokee heritage. Traveled the world with the Navy. Studied a lot of religions. All to come to this belief of mine. I don't like organized religion, I feel too many times it has been used as an instrument of politics, control of the masses and war. I personally don't have anything against any religion, if that is what helps a person find their peace, spirituality and moral compass.

I do not believe in the god that the bible describes. I feel the old testament was an instrument used by the church to convert pagan masses into civilized, albeit fearful, citizens and church goers. The new testament was a written way to justify breaking away from the politics and hierarchy of the "church" as a political and governing body. I feel that Jesus was real, but likely not god incarnate come to walk the earth. I feel he was a great teacher, leader and prophet who was persecuted for rebellion. Much like many other such people through history. I do not feel the bible is an accurate portrayal of history and has been edited, changed, interpreted and misused by the "churches" and other people for centuries.

I don't think that Jesus died for salvation of the masses, nor was he god on earth to suffer like man. If god is omnipotent and omniscient, then god could not suffer like man, because then there would be no fear of death, knowing what was to come thereafter.

I do believe that we should live life here and now, being as good of a human as possible, treating each other well and respecting all things around us. I don't think we are the only ones in this vast universe, but do believe that some power started the whole chain of events that led us to here.

I do not believe in simply "faith" as an answer to things I can't explain. I believe in free thought, contemplation and study. I understand there are things and mysteries I will never know. If we knew how it all ended, what fun would life be?

If you find comfort in the fellowship of a church and it offers you the place and mind set to contemplate and worship, follow you heart. For me, a walk before dawn seeing the stars and milky way, witnessing nature and the creation, puts me at peace and gives me the chance to "talk" with the forces that bring me vision, thought, peace of mind and soul and comfort.

I hope you find what makes you at peace and happy.

seekeroftruth

Bluebird..... I want to tell you what happened to me.

I had been away from the church for a long time. My prayers, although very sincere, were sporadic, based on need instead of praise. I was doing my best to be a good girl based on what I was taught as a child in the church. I couldn't comprehend the King James Bible, and hadn't been introduced to the NIV, so I was basically without the Word back then.

I had a dream. Jesus told me to take my adopted daughter to church.

When I got up the next morning, I told my husband about the dream and told him I was going back to church. When I went into my room to get dressed, I turned on the TV. How convenient! I decided that I would watch church on TV that morning and scope out the churches to find one that suited my needs [like the nearest Baptist church] so I could return to church the following Sunday.

At that very second, the preacher on TV pointed right at the camera [which means he pointed directly at me] and said "You need to go to church today".

I said out loud "Ok you don't have to tell me three times!"

I turned off the TV and got us dressed and went to the Methodist Church near the house. It was there that I was introduced to the NIV.

I've found that when I have that "is it all real" feeling.... it's usually followed by a calling that is real and tangible. The best way for you to find out what God wants you to do is ask Him. He'll tell you in plain english and it will be followed by real proof. You'll know it when it happens.... pray about it.

:coffee:

C

Chuckt

Actually--using I speculate anywhere (in a theological sense) in a sentence makes any adherent to sola scriptura a hypocrite. I would argue that the RCC is accused of speculation all of the time and called out on it by fundies all the time even though it was accepted by the early church--you know that church--the one that existed before the 14the century...

Be a man, it's ok to say asshat, you all say worse than that in the privacy of your homes while watching a football game drinking beer.

New International Version
Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.

http://biblehub.com/james/1-26.htm