Dog Pulling - need anti-pulling aid help

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Clinton the pitbull mix rescue we have available for adoption is a great dog. Loves people, loves other dogs, cats, etc. He is a strong dog and he obviously needs obedience training since he pulls on the leash and won't sit for you unless you get directly in front of him and look him in the eye and say SIT.

I saw a worker at HS the other day showing a lady how to use an anti-pulling type of leash like this.

Would something like this work for a large dog? He is probably about 50-60 lbs. Some of those specialty leashes look pretty flimsy to be using on a strong dog. I generally use horse lead ropes on big dogs.

Clinton has been in a foster home for several months. I tried to get Clinton micro-chipped on Sunday at HS, but I was no match for his strength. He wouldn't stand still, so I left w/o getting the microchip. I just didn't want to TRY to stand there in line for 1+ hours waiting for our turn and have to keep fighting with him to stay still. He kept pulling to go visit other dogs. So I need something to use that can deter his pulling. I took him to Petsmart to get his dog food, and he left a bad impression on everyone there by his pulling and dragging me around the store. I think everyone there heard me saying CLINTON STOP :frown:.

NRIT

Clinton the pitbull mix rescue we have available for adoption is a great dog. Loves people, loves other dogs, cats, etc. He is a strong dog and he obviously needs obedience training since he pulls on the leash and won't sit for you unless you get directly in front of him and look him in the eye and say SIT.

I saw a worker at HS the other day showing a lady how to use an anti-pulling type of leash like this.

Would something like this work for a large dog? He is probably about 50-60 lbs. Some of those specialty leashes look pretty flimsy to be using on a strong dog. I generally use horse lead ropes on big dogs.

Clinton has been in a foster home for several months. I tried to get Clinton micro-chipped on Sunday at HS, but I was no match for his strength. He wouldn't stand still, so I left w/o getting the microchip. I just didn't want to TRY to stand there in line for 1+ hours waiting for our turn and have to keep fighting with him to stay still. He kept pulling to go visit other dogs. So I need something to use that can deter his pulling. I took him to Petsmart to get his dog food, and he left a bad impression on everyone there by his pulling and dragging me around the store. I think everyone there heard me saying CLINTON STOP :frown:.

Prong collar... Some people do not like them because they have a mistaken impression that it hurts the dog... it closes in on itself, it doesnt actually hurt the dog. Animal rights people would be all over it if it did anyway... :)

They are magic. One, two, sometimes three pops and then the dog automatically will not pull.

Never hurts to try.

Leerburg Dog Training | How to Fit a Prong Collar

some help on sizing and fitting.. :)

Last edited:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Positive dog training.... always the first thing before working out of a training collar.

I have told ya before and several times... you should take a class at My BFF pet services... and the tools you LEARN THERE can be applied to all your foster dogs.

:coffee:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

a halti is good.. BUT YOU HAVE TO TRAIN THEM TO IT... YOU HAVE TO WORK WITH THEM WITH IT... and many dogs will never take to it. out of ALL of my dogs.. .only 1 will wear it with no issues.

and YES i have worked with all of them in a halti.

be careful of ONE of the trainers up there.... he uses e-collars... AND YOU SHOULD NEVER start any type of training right off in an e collar (I dont care what type of ecollar it is... it is not a positive training experiance for any dog)

NRIT

Icit, do you ever use prong collars?.. I am almost out of needing it for Duke, and Iris hasn't needed one for years. :)

Just curious what you think of them! :)

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Icit, do you ever use prong collars?.. I am almost out of needing it for Duke, and Iris hasn't needed one for years. :)

Just curious what you think of them! :)

I do use them.... but only for certain dogs and certain times. When i work with them in training I do NOT use them (they may wear it....)

I would never recommend them for/to someone who doesnt know how to really work with a dog... or how to use a prong correctly.

I DO KNOW... you know what you are doing :yay: so I do dont worry that YOU will do any damage such as negative training while you use it.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Prong collar is ONLY A TRAINING COLLAR... and NEVER INTENDED TO STOP A DOG FROM PULLING...

if this is the intention of use for this collar ... you will be doing negitive training on the dog and then will have two issues to have to work on.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Prong collar... Some people do not like them because they have a mistaken impression that it hurts the dog... it closes in on itself, it doesnt actually hurt the dog. Animal rights people would be all over it if it did anyway... :)

They are magic. One, two, sometimes three pops and then the dog automatically will not pull.

Never hurts to try.

Leerburg Dog Training | How to Fit a Prong Collar

some help on sizing and fitting.. :)

a pun? lol

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Positive dog training.... always the first thing before working out of a training collar.

I have told ya before and several times... you should take a class at My BFF pet services... and the tools you LEARN THERE can be applied to all your foster dogs.

:coffee:

It would certainly benefit me to take a class, I agree, however, when would I go? I can't even find time to ride my horse. If I can get these kittens adopted out, that will help. I work FT, spend 2 hours driving to/from work, get home to do critter chores, cook/eat dinner, laundry ... you know how it goes.

I've decided no more dog rescues for a while. Once we get the pitbull adopted out I need to not take in any more dogs for a while. They are much more difficult to deal with since my boy can be anti-dog (depending on the personality/gender). He seems to be ok with subordinate females, but no dog can get between him and food, period, or an all out war ensues.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
It would certainly benefit me to take a class, I agree, however, when would I go? I can't even find time to ride my horse. If I can get these kittens adopted out, that will help. I work FT, spend 2 hours driving to/from work, get home to do critter chores, cook/eat dinner, laundry ... you know how it goes.

I've decided no more dog rescues for a while. Once we get the pitbull adopted out I need to not take in any more dogs for a while. They are much more difficult to deal with since my boy can be anti-dog (depending on the personality/gender). He seems to be ok with subordinate females, but no dog can get between him and food, period, or an all out war ensues.

You need to make time ... 1 day... 1 hour.... 6 weeks.

getting him this training will make him easier to adopt out.

frequentflier

happy to be living
a halti is good.. BUT YOU HAVE TO TRAIN THEM TO IT... YOU HAVE TO WORK WITH THEM WITH IT... and many dogs will never take to it. out of ALL of my dogs.. .only 1 will wear it with no issues.

and YES i have worked with all of them in a halti.

be careful of ONE of the trainers up there.... he uses e-collars... AND YOU SHOULD NEVER start any type of training right off in an e collar (I dont care what type of ecollar it is... it is not a positive training experiance for any dog)

The halti type collars we carry (Gentle Leaders)come with a DVD that we encourage people to watch before using them on their dogs.

Last edited:

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
We have a 70 pound chocolate lab that loves to walk. She also LOVES to pull. We have tried everything and the only thing that has worked is a Gentle Leader - like what you have pictured.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
We have a 70 pound chocolate lab that loves to walk. She also LOVES to pull. We have tried everything and the only thing that has worked is a Gentle Leader - like what you have pictured.

I have heard of that one.

I have a friend that lives on a good sized farm that is looking for another Chocolate Lab. I said I will keep an eye out for one for ya. He just loves that color/breed and his old one died.

luvmygdaughters

I bought one for Captn. Morgan for the same problem. The collar wouldn't stay on. She has a short snout and after reading the booklet that came with the collar. It said not recommended for dogs with short snouts. If you want it, you can have it. I still have the DVD that came with it. Morgan has gotten much better with just using a choker collar. The only time we put it on her is when she walks on the leash. Her sit, stay, down and recall are greatly improved...thanks to ICIT's help and hotdogs. LOL. good luck.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I bought one for Captn. Morgan for the same problem. The collar wouldn't stay on. She has a short snout and after reading the booklet that came with the collar. It said not recommended for dogs with short snouts. If you want it, you can have it. I still have the DVD that came with it. Morgan has gotten much better with just using a choker collar. The only time we put it on her is when she walks on the leash. Her sit, stay, down and recall are greatly improved...thanks to ICIT's help and hotdogs. LOL. good luck.

Clinton has a short snout also.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

oohhhhhh :whistle: :gossip: Im gonna pm you the news i have!!!!!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Clinton has a short snout also.

The foster didn't respond to helping Clinton with the pulling on leash, and with me being injured I can't help. So I was wondering if someone here could help us with his pulling?

Clinton is about 75 lbs, pitbull mix, and he gets along with other dogs great (plays with resident dog in foster home). If we don't get Clintons pulling under control he can't go into social situations on leash due to his dragging me around, which nakes him look bad as an adoption prospect.

We have the special gentle leader set which was donated that could be used.

Midnightrider

The foster didn't respond to helping Clinton with the pulling on leash, and with me being injured I can't help. So I was wondering if someone here could help us with his pulling?

Clinton is about 75 lbs, pitbull mix, and he gets along with other dogs great (plays with resident dog in foster home). If we don't get Clintons pulling under control he can't go into social situations on leash due to his dragging me around, which nakes him look bad as an adoption prospect.

We have the special gentle leader set which was donated that could be used.

gentle leaders have worked on all of my dogs (I think we actually use the halti brand). the only problems are that dogs tend to fight it a lot at first or when they get into that intense social setting. Then they feel like a fish on a line, jumping and pulling with all their might as they twist and spin. Once you get past that stage they rarely pull and are gentle as can be while on the leash. You might want to have someone else get him acclimated or wait until you recover.