Dolphins in the Chesapeake Bay

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
They've been in the bay and lower Potomac by the hundreds for decades now... DNR has determined that some pods are breeding here now...i.e..permanent residents
Someone I know that's on the water a lot, put a video on facebook last summer of a few of them in the Wicomico.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We see them around there often. They'll run alongside us sometimes when we're making the trip between St. Catherine's and St. George's islands.

My charter fishing buddys that work out of Deale/Fairhaven area have little use for the exploding porpoise population because they've been hell on the rockfish populations. I have to assume they've put a dent in the rockfish down here too (Smith Point to Smith Island area)
Someone I know that's on the water a lot, put a video on facebook last summer of a few of them in the Wicomico.

3CATSAILOR

We see them around there often. They'll run alongside us sometimes when we're making the trip between St. Catherine's and St. George's islands.

My charter fishing buddys that work out of Deale/Fairhaven area have little use for the exploding porpoise population because they've been hell on the rockfish populations. I have to assume they've put a dent in the rockfish down here too (Smith Point to Smith Island area)
DNR seems to be more concerned about the catfish than a porpoise. I saw a picture of a catfish the other day. It looked like it was over five feet long.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
DNR seems to be more concerned about the catfish than a porpoise. I saw a picture of a catfish the other day. It looked like it was over five feet long.
Both are decimating various native species ..but yeah, the blue cats are apparently the worst of the invasive bunch. I catch the hell out out of them..awesomely good eating fish, they are. Unlike the rockfish, the quality and texture of blue cat filets does not seem to change regardless of size. I have always had little regard for the monster rockfish...I want the 18-24" ones for my cooking.

TPD

the poor dad
Haven't heard much about snakeheads lately. My daughter tells me they have gotten the population under control in the creek behind our farm. So much so apparently that the kids are now going to Virginia to hunt snakeheads.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Haven't heard much about snakeheads lately. My daughter tells me they have gotten the population under control in the creek behind our farm. So much so apparently that the kids are now going to Virginia to hunt snakeheads.
i read somewhere recently that their designation as an invasive species AND their official name have both ben changed.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In 1996, a bunch us were at Swann's when a huge pod of them proceeded past and continued toward the head of St. George's Creek. We tried to count them...it was roughly 100 of them in a long lazy train that seemed to take forever to fully pass us. When they returned a short time later, they turned right and headed out under the island bridge, in to the Potomac.

I see dolphins in the Chesapeake and Potomac fairly often. I was a couple hundred feet offshore in the Chesapeake once and a pod of them swam by about 100 feet from me.

I'd add that their frequency (and how far north they come) should correlate with salinity and (water) temperature. Generally speaking, the higher the salinity and temperature the more likely they are to be around - though neither salinity nor temperature is particularly high in this area right now.

Last edited:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member