Donald junior's evolving story

Wishbone

The only way to make it more affordable will be severely painful.

You would need to end the insurance industry in Medical care as it is today and go back to catastrophic care policies only and Everything else is Out-Of-Pocket.

This_person

No.

In regards to the stabilizing the exchanges, they basically need to stabilize the pool (the % of sick people vs. healthy people). Once the insurance companies have this information, they should be able to price their products so as to make a profit.

How do you do this?

In regards to rising costs, I can think of a few options though they all seem unappealing (price control certain things or ration care), so you need a creative solution to that.

The more sick people covered (the goal of the ACA, recall, was to force healthy people onto the market that would otherwise choose NOT to be, so they could pay into insurance to cover the costs of sick people - all the while making sick and healthy people pay the same for their insurance, all the while making it cheaper for all involved), the more expensive overall coverage would be.

Since you can't ask people who we KNOW will cost a hell of a lot more to pay a hell of a lot more, you must make everyone else pay a good bit more to cover the costs of the people who cost a hell of a lot more.

If you remove the mandate, thus giving people the choice to be in the market or not, you take away the source of funds from people who cost you little or nothing, thereby making it even MORE expensive for all.

The real answer is to remove the mandate, remove the restrictions on varying charges based on actuarial charts of costs, and remove the restrictions on who may sell where. Meanwhile, give us back our health savings accounts as tax-free, and while you're at it make it a tax write-off for individuals purchasing insurance just like it is for companies, and I think you'll see the cost curve bend down for 95+% of people, while the cost of health insurance will necessarily rise for those people who we know will cost a lot. Make donating to these people's health care costs tax deductable, and I think you'll see the bulk of the problem go away.

PsyOps

Pixelated
The only way to make it more affordable will be severely painful.

You would need to end the insurance industry in Medical care as it is today and go back to catastrophic care policies only and Everything else is Out-Of-Pocket.

When we can shop around, prices will automatically go down. I don't know how this is painful at all? Well, perhaps painful for the insurance industry.

Wishbone

When we can shop around, prices will automatically go down. I don't know how this is painful at all? Well, perhaps painful for the insurance industry.

It will be painful for a while due to the time necessary for an entirely different economic model to be implemented.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well your assumption is wrong as there are dozens and dozens and pages of pages of his tweets where he criticizes Obama for doing the exact thing he is doing now.

Feel free to google it and stop assuming

Ad yet you can't provide a single example?? seriously??

Sapidus

Ad yet you can't provide a single example?? seriously??

Here's two. feel free to follow the link to find dozens more

"3 Chief of Staffs in less than 3 years of being President: Part of the reason why Obama can't manage to pass his agenda." - 2:07PM. Jan 10, 2012

"Historic Change! Obama has spent over $44M of our money on travel expenses, the most for any president ~ 4:40 PM - 7 Jul 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrumpCriticizesTrump/