Double Fatal Motor Vehicle Collision in Hughesville Saturday

PeoplesElbow

How about more personal responsibility :shrug:, don't drink and drive, text while driving etc.

That is all well and good except for the innocent bystander that gets killed, no amount of personal responsibility or punishment will fix that.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Not blamed, this is not their fault. The point is that if we took some of the hours that are spent running speed enforcement on Saturday and Sunday mornings on Rt 235, and instead dedicated those hours to enforcing things that contribute more to crashes, then deterrence might have an effect. Officers perform the enforcement they are told to perform. And since one of the metrics is numbers of citations given, those activities that generate citations get precedence. Another factor is that speed enforcement gets the officers heads into a lot of cars. And the more cars they stick their heads into, the more chances of catching a real bad guy.

Why don't we just skip the bill of rights and go to warrantless stops, searches and interrogations.
It's for our safety isn't it?

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Or as one paraphrase puts it, "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both."

So what's a little domestic spying, sham traffic stops, sobriety checkpoint anyone.

glhs837

Power with Control
Why don't we just skip the bill of rights and go to warrantless stops, searches and interrogations.

Or as one paraphrase puts it, "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both."

So what's a little domestic spying, sham traffic stops, sobriety checkpoint anyone.

No searches. You broke the law, that gives them the right to stop you and talk to you. Nothing wrong with that. But I do take exception that it's for traffic safety. It's not.

officeguy

That's what a lot of 'traffic enforcement' has become these days. 'I saw you cross that divider line' the ever burnt out taillight lamp or the 'failure to signal'. All pretenses to create stops that may result in picking up someone for a warrant or finding some weed or pills.

BernieP

Resident PIA
No searches. You broke the law, that gives them the right to stop you and talk to you. Nothing wrong with that. But I do take exception that it's for traffic safety. It's not.

broke the law or "probable" cause. I was three quarters of a mile down the road and noticed you didn't come to a complete stop at that right hand turn.
Want to do a check how many people are pulled over for a reason like that? Then the officer plays the cool dude and gives you a pass on the ticket.

No, the real reason he pulled you over was the time of day and you had stuff in your vehicle that made him suspicious you might have robbed a house. But no reported burglary or any other information to indicate you were a suspect vehicle. It is a stop to fish.
Problem is we all know if you piss him off he can write a ticket and the judge will uphold it. So you are now held up for 20 minutes while he does his thing and you are that much later getting to the airport for vacation (that's when bags were stacked in my car - dah)

I was actually stopped once by a local cop for driving on a certain road. No kidding, first words out of his mouth after looking at my license were, "what are you doing on this road?". Mind you, it was a state road and not a dead end or anything. He was running a speed trap because the local home owners in his town wanted through traffic off "their" road. I actually had a state trooper tell me I should fight the ticket and he gave me the way to do it. But it would be pointless, the judge (who had never seen a law book) would have said guilty anyway.
Point was, he was pulling over cars to tell them to go another way and for measure writing a 5 mph over ticket to reinforce the message.
In the mean time he pokes around the car looking for something else to boost his arrest record.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, I wasnt talking about that sort of stuff. I was strictly addressing the whys regarding normal speed enforcement vs driving around tagging folks engaging in really dangerous behaviors instead of doing 57mph up 235 at 9am Sat morning. That way they get to stop 10 lawbreakers an hour.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
so I drove home past the accident site ....
geez the write up made it sound like the guy went flying into the woods 100 yrds ...
nope right beside the road