DU Tread of the Day

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Tonio
No matter what your opinion on homosexuality's morality (I'm straight and I don't believe that homosexuality is immoral), does the government have a compelling interest in outlawing it? Many sodomy laws were written to specifically ban it between gay couples, and those laws have been successfully challenged in court. Maybe the best way to go is to have all marriages private, so it isn't a government issue at all.
Compelling interest? None readily observed, just as there aren’t any for the prevention of bigamy. Is the establishment of a societal norm a compelling interest?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by Ken King
Is the establishment of a societal norm a compelling interest?

I don't think so. For one thing, making homosexuality illegal isn't going to make it go away. (I've written before that the idea of sexual orientation as a choice sounds laughable to me.) For another, how does one determine a legal definition of a "societal norm"?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I don't think so. For one thing, making homosexuality illegal isn't going to make it go away. (I've written before that the idea of sexual orientation as a choice sounds laughable to me.) For another, how does one determine a legal definition of a "societal norm"?
Well like Maryland Law concerning marriage where it clearly states that marriage is between a man and a woman. Wouldn't that be a societal norm?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by *archimedes*
:confused:

Lee Iacocca says that Henry Ford III told him to fire a manager whom Ford judged to be gay. Apparently the man wore his pants too tight and had an insufficiently masculine manner.

Toxick

Splat
Wow... that DU sure looks like a fun place.

So I finally went over to this DU website. That is the most partisan gaggle of bleating sheep who have ever taken a breath of air.

I wonder if Kerry pointed at a summit, if all those people would run right off the side like lemmings.

My guess is that they would.

What a bunch of brainless pukes.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Lee Iacocca says that Henry Ford III told him to fire a manager whom Ford judged to be gay. Apparently the man wore his pants too tight and had an insufficiently masculine manner.
And that was HOW long ago?

I swear, first you're bringing up Nixon as an example of Republicans today, now you're bringing up Henry Ford as an example of today's attitudes toward gays. Come into the 21st century!

PS, blacks are allowed to sit undisturbed at lunch counters these days, too. And women can vote! :lol:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
And that was HOW long ago?

I swear, first you're bringing up Nixon as an example of Republicans today, now you're bringing up Henry Ford as an example of today's attitudes toward gays. Come into the 21st century!

PS, blacks are allowed to sit undisturbed at lunch counters these days, too. And women can vote! :lol:

:lol: I get your point, Vrai. I've seen surveys showing that younger people are more accepting about homosexuality.

Still, we have 21st-century pundits like Pat Buchanan who seem to demonize not just homosexuality, but gays themselves. Maybe I'm too influenced by my own school experience (being mistaken for gay) but that sounds to me like a witch hunt. That's the problem with politics--too many holy wars. Some on the left try to demonize all Christians, and some on the right try to demonize all gays. That's going on right now, not 30 years ago.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Still, we have 21st-century pundits like Pat Buchanan who seem to demonize not just homosexuality, but gays themselves. ]
And he has been elected to public office HOW many times? Don't you worry about the Republicans - we police our own.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Don't you worry about the Republicans - we police our own.

Then I issue a challenge to the Democrats here to police their own, too.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Then I issue a challenge to the Democrats here to police their own, too.
They won't do it.

When Bill Clinton committed perjury, treason and adultry, the Dems came out en masse to stick up for him and tell why it was all Ken Starr's fault.

When Trent Lott made those unfortunate remarks, he was removed from his leadership position.