Dumb question about spiders

RPMDAD

Just had a door to door pest control salesman come by my house. I did not nibble and thanked him for his time. He did show me the contract and said they treat the house and yard for many things, however it did mention Brown Recluse Spiders. i didn't think they were native to Md. Does anybody here know for sure. I have heard of people in Md. getting bit by them but i think that is rare.

C

czygvtwkr

I think about half the people I know claim to have seen one or know someone who knows someone who was bit by one. They are not native to somd, but as much as we get around these days it's not like they couldnt catch a ride. Black Widows on the other hand I see everywhere.

mamatutu

mama to two
I think about half the people I know claim to have seen one or know someone who knows someone who was bit by one. They are not native to somd, but as much as we get around these days it's not like they couldnt catch a ride. Black Widows on the other hand I see everywhere.

That is what I have heard. They hitch rides in moving boxes and stuff. Our pest control person said a recluse was stuck in one of the sticky traps that we keep in the storeroom in our basement. I saw it, and it did look like one. But, I decided I don't want to believe it, and that she is wrong. I sleep better at night that way! :lol:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Just had a door to door pest control salesman come by my house. I did not nibble and thanked him for his time. He did show me the contract and said they treat the house and yard for many things, however it did mention Brown Recluse Spiders. i didn't think they were native to Md. Does anybody here know for sure. I have heard of people in Md. getting bit by them but i think that is rare.
You did right by sending him on his way.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/33494

Attachments

• ZSWQV0PQD0PQZSPQC0QKEKKKNKZK1KBQC05Q6K0KT0HK2K5QNKRKUKHKB06QUKSKDKMKTKIKDKGK.jpg
    ZSWQV0PQD0PQZSPQC0QKEKKKNKZK1KBQC05Q6K0KT0HK2K5QNKRKUKHKB06QUKSKDKMKTKIKDKGK.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 219
Spider bites

Yea, not native to here, and well over half of spider bites are misdiagnosed as brown recluse bites.

Very true. I was bit by a black widow, the SMH ER triage marked it down as a brown recluse because the file drop down menu didn't have an option for bw spider, the nurse showed me this. I was treated correctly-bw is a neuro toxin, br is more corrosive venom. So dumb. Black widows are everywhere in soMD.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I was bitten by a brown recluse. ... and I was in md... but I do think it happen to be from a work truck that came from the midwest...

they are not native to the area so those that are here have hitched a ride.

Chris0nllyn

They typically don't make it through the winter, if outside.

If inside, they are typically found in the deepest, darkest, dampest part of your basement.

bilbur

A friend of my dad's was bit while working in his woodpile in MD and he let it go too long. They ended up having to cut off a big chunk of his leg due to the tissue necrosis. From what I was told they are not native but they can hitch a ride on packages as a previous reply said.