Electric service box

PeoplesElbow

Damn, I want to turn your power off now, would be just like turning the bars CO2 off when I saw that I could when taking a piss in the alley....

I can not imagine a house where there is no power panel / electric service box in the house. That is weird to me.

Same here. All the breakers are even labeled. Kitchen, dryer, etc.
And Larry it looks like any other box, no special weather protection.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Wild West, huh? Wow. We have a few extra lawyers lying around. Maybe we could send a few 1,000 out to start suing people for safety threats? :lol:

The builder's electricians must have partaken in some pre-study for legalized marijuana or something.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm betting that they made sure it was the good stuff given that the breaker boxes ended up outside. :cool:

Oh, wait, did you mean electrical inspector?

That fails NEC as far back as I am aware, at least '80. never mind common sense. So, I am guess this is one of them them good old boy things where my cousin the electrical contractor gets along well with my sisters ex husband the local inspector.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
That fails NEC as far back as I am aware, at least '80. never mind common sense. So, I am guess this is one of them them good old boy things where my cousin the electrical contractor gets along well with my sisters ex husband the local inspector.

After checking around it seems this is done in a few arid areas (at least Nevada and Colorado), of course using an exterior box that contains the panel.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I am sure it is different then an interior panel. Hell some inspectors in the CO area recommend that you don't lock them as they are for safety and not security.

http://radianthomeinspections.com/should-you-lock-your-electrical-panel/

I may have mis-read him then in which case it's no big deal. Old people like me remember exterior fuses boxes so, an exterior breaker panel is not some sort of total oddity. Anyone who has seen a slasher film has seen an exterior fuse box...

This is it. A bit less likely to get water in it than some, but not really water tight. Thanks for the link Ken.

Attachments

• 10952394_10202745982645629_8575566042295268385_n.jpg
    10952394_10202745982645629_8575566042295268385_n.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 172
OK, but, that is an outdoor panel. So, it's cool...

Seems like. No one else seems to be bothered by it. I will not be happy going out in the middle of the night to check a breaker in sub freezing temps with foot of snow on the ground though. I have never seen an outdoor panel so I wouldn't know what they look like. Looks better than the ones in that article though.

Chris0nllyn

Ah, gotcha. Those are called meter breakers (with distribution), or house panels.

They are NEMA 3 rated for outdoor use. While a bit atypical around here, they aren't uncommon. Especially in trailer parks.

Weird that they wired everything on one side, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Ah, gotcha. Those are called meter breakers (with distribution), or house panels.

They are NEMA 3 rated for outdoor use. While a bit atypical around here, they aren't uncommon. Especially in trailer parks.

Weird that they wired everything on one side, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Yeah, but the ones that use most power are on the left. Water heater is gas.