Elephant's Trunk

Thor

Tinkerbell said:
Does anyone here remember the Elephant's Trunk? If so, do you know who owned it? And why it shut down? TIA

Yup I remember it, I don't remember the name of the guy who owned it but I do remember he was quite eccentric.

I am pretty sure he sold the building and lot when they started developing all those new businesses.

Tinkerbell

Baby blues
Thanks for the responses! I really liked that place. In my opinion, it was much better than Apple Basket or anything else around here.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
morganj614 said:
Linda Hopkins?... and i can't remember the guys name

I think that was her name but don't remember his name. The widening of 235 was going on and they were losing the property to the project, so they closed shop and moved to Florida.

I miss that store. :frown:

morganj614

jazz lady said:
I think that was her name but don't remember his name. The widening of 235 was going on and they were losing the property to the project, so they closed shop and moved to Florida.

I miss that store. :frown:

Me too. I always found great gifts and cool jewelry there.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
morganj614 said:
Me too. I always found great gifts and cool jewelry there.
I still have quite a bit of stuff I bought from there. Nice pieces of jewelry and home decorations. I could wander in that store for hours just looking around.

R

remaxrealtor

jazz lady said:
I still have quite a bit of stuff I bought from there. Nice pieces of jewelry and home decorations. I could wander in that store for hours just looking around.
Same here...I'm looking at a bronze winged pig sculputure from there. Still has the Elephants Trunk sticker on the bottom.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
I still own a reproduction "ice box" I got there years ago. There is a place in up north off route 5 called Traditions that's pretty cool. I think its considered Loveville but not sure.

keekee

I think Mr. Hopkins was the Art Teacher at Leonardtown Middle School back in the early 80's, right?

Redwing91

Elephant's Trunk was my favorite store when it was here. The guy who owned the place was an ass though. A real snob. Just as nice as he could be to customers who appeared to be upper-middle class, or college students. But not so nice to lower-middle class type people (like me and my mom.) He actually made a snotty remark to me once about the sweater I was wearing. The two women who worked there were nice though. Does anyone remember the vicious little dog they had in the store?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Redwing91 said:
The guy who owned the place was an ass though. A real snob.
He was like that to everyone, as far as I could tell. He was my client at Channel 10 and would bust on me for showing up in more casual attire, but if you showed up in a skirt and heels, Yaz would jump on you and rip up your pantyhose. :lol:

wineo

loving life
The teacher Mr. Hopkins was Lindas Dad. Her husband/BF was a piece of work, he look down at everyone. It was her store, Dad owned the building. There in FL and Dad is still here, he still goes in Lindas for breakfast every now and then.

spookthis

I never knew Mike to be like that. I use to rent an apartment from Linda and him that eventually ended up as the last rooms of their shop. In the winter I would have to keep my heat turned up so the pipes wouldn't freeze, costing me more in fuel, but Mike would cut $$ off the rent for it. I was def not heels and suit or college type, just another SMIB. There use to be a roller rink there before. I miss the shop too, sigh. You could always find a gift you knew would be unique...