Equine Colleges

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
I think I've finally decided what to do after high school. I think I want to major in business management and then minor in equine breeding of some sort. Now all I need to do is start looking for colleges that have these courses and are good. I don't plan on going next fall but the following fall. I want to knock out some simple classes at CSM and save a few bucks.

Any recommendations or advice?

Gwydion

I think I've finally decided what to do after high school. I think I want to major in business management and then minor in equine breeding of some sort. Now all I need to do is start looking for colleges that have these courses and are good. I don't plan on going next fall but the following fall. I want to knock out some simple classes at CSM and save a few bucks.

Any recommendations or advice?

Find out where you want to go and verify the simple classes you take will transfer over easily.

devenny99

Start by talking to a vet who deals with equines in addition to his practice of small mammals. I believe if you talk to the vets at Tidewater Veterinary Hospital or All Kinds Veterinary Hospital you may get a clue where to start.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
I believe Colorado State is the premiere equine breeding program. UC Davis, Cornell, UVA, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, all great schools with the curriculum you are looking for. In the meantime, you can get practice this spring by interning at my place watching the monitors for BABIES. WooHoo! :)~

Seriously though, in the meantime, get into a great barn (your current one is great, I am just talking one that runs a ton of horses and clients who can show you the good from the bad...I believe your current barn only has good!) and spend all your spare time with that person to learn good and bad conformation/movement/traits etc. Just some thoughts!

Being a graduate of the Colorado State program, I have to agree that they have, hands-down, the best equine reproduction program in the country (and quite possibly the world). However, I would invite you to look a little bit closer to home - I am the coordinator/advisor/teacher for the Equine Business Management program at the University of Maryland... :whistle:

Check out our program at Equine Studies at the University of Maryland; Horse Management Education - I'd be very happy to answer any questions you might have. :howdy:

We'll have a topic at the upcoming horse expo in January on choosing an equine college (not pushing any one program! Honest!), so you might want to stop by to see that. It's scheduled to be at 1:00 on Friday, January 16th. Now that I think about it, though - maybe it should be later so that students interested in college can actually attend! :smack:

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
Being a graduate of the Colorado State program, I have to agree that they have, hands-down, the best equine reproduction program in the country (and quite possibly the world). However, I would invite you to look a little bit closer to home - I am the coordinator/advisor/teacher for the Equine Business Management program at the University of Maryland... :whistle:

Check out our program at Equine Studies at the University of Maryland; Horse Management Education - I'd be very happy to answer any questions you might have. :howdy:

We'll have a topic at the upcoming horse expo in January on choosing an equine college (not pushing any one program! Honest!), so you might want to stop by to see that. It's scheduled to be at 1:00 on Friday, January 16th. Now that I think about it, though - maybe it should be later so that students interested in college can actually attend! :smack:

Thanks and I would much rather stay closer to home! What courses do you normally need to take for the reproduction part? I suck at math so I'm trying to stay far away haha

I'm hoping to attend the expo and I only have 3 periods so I'm going up thurs night hopefully and i think i'll have the flu on that friday *sniffle*sniffle*

Well, if you truly want to get involved in reproduction on more than a "breeder" level, you need to be either a veterinarian (lots of math, chemistry, biology, anatomy, etc.) or get a PhD (again, lots of science). I am planning to re-vamp our program at UM to include some more on-farm learning experiences. My program is geared more towards people who want to manage farms or businesses. Students have to do an internship before they can graduate and if you're interested in breeding, I have just the farm for you to do it at (Standardbred operation on the shore - you'd get TONS of experience there - over 300 mares to foal out each year). If you want to come up for a visit/tour/ask questions, etc., just shoot me an email at pittmane@umd.edu

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Well, if you truly want to get involved in reproduction on more than a "breeder" level, you need to be either a veterinarian (lots of math, chemistry, biology, anatomy, etc.) or get a PhD (again, lots of science). I am planning to re-vamp our program at UM to include some more on-farm learning experiences. My program is geared more towards people who want to manage farms or businesses. Students have to do an internship before they can graduate and if you're interested in breeding, I have just the farm for you to do it at (Standardbred operation on the shore - you'd get TONS of experience there - over 300 mares to foal out each year). If you want to come up for a visit/tour/ask questions, etc., just shoot me an email at pittmane@umd.edu

There you go! Perfect breeding / learning experience. This way you can know ahead of time if you love it or hate it!

SayDLvr01

Bubbalicious!
When I was looking for horsie schools, Virginia Intermont and Deleware Valley (which is in PA) were two that I liked a lot. I don't know if they have breeding but I remember their equine programs sounded very good when I was browsing colleges online.

C

campinmutt

I believe north carolina has a breeding program.i know several stallions that were donated

smurfette

I think the most important thing is that you are working in your current field of study... using what you are learning on a daily basis really makes it stick. Ya know, the old "use it or lose it" saying. I graduated from Virginia Intermont in 95... the progam at that time was very competition based. My last year the program got an awesome new director and made a lot of changes for the better... more management oriented. We did learn a lot about reproduction etc., but the school has no "breeding program" in house... or at least not when I attended As far as riding my advice is don't limit yourself to only one discipline. Be open minded to other equine sports and activities you have not experienced yet. You never know when your passion is not for what you're currently doing, but something totally different in the equine field. The program that's been mentioned at UMD sounds really great. Close to home, practical and hands on..... internship part very important. Hope this helps.