Exactly what increased???

Password

I saw a reduction of about $85 in my net pay due to the SS tax and the increase in health insurance premium. $85 x 26 paydays = $2,210 ($184 a month) in lost income for 1 year.

That's one way to look at it. The other way is to realize that you gained $85 per paycheck over the last 2 years, which may not have happened if the payroll tax holiday never took place.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
That's one way to look at it. The other way is to realize that you gained $85 per paycheck over the last 2 years, which may not have happened if the payroll tax holiday never took place.

The majority came from the increase in health insurance premium .... not SS.

Okay so a year ago it was this:

Calling it a “big deal,” the president today said the legislation, which he will sign into law when it reaches his desk later this week, will help middle-class Americans by providing an extra $40 a week in their paychecks.

“That $40 helps to pay the rent, the groceries, the rising cost of gas, which is on a lot of people’s minds right now,” Obama said as he stood with Americans who will benefit from the tax cut.

Here we are a year later and groceries are even MORE expensive than they are a year ago, the cost of gas is just as expensive and expected to become more expensive than ever before... why take back that "little extra something" that was meant to help the middle-class when they need it more than ever...:confused:

Obama Touts Payroll-Tax Cut Compromise - ABC News

thatguy

Wirelessly posted

kwillia said:
Okay so a year ago it was this:

Calling it a “big deal,” the president today said the legislation, which he will sign into law when it reaches his desk later this week, will help middle-class Americans by providing an extra $40 a week in their paychecks.

“That $40 helps to pay the rent, the groceries, the rising cost of gas, which is on a lot of people’s minds right now,” Obama said as he stood with Americans who will benefit from the tax cut.

Here we are a year later and groceries are even MORE expensive than they are a year ago, the cost of gas is just as expensive and expected to become more expensive than ever before... why take back that "little extra something" that was meant to help the middle-class when they need it more than ever...:confused:

Obama Touts Payroll-Tax Cut Compromise - ABC News

Obama didn't take anything back, your congressmen refused to extend the tax holiday. You should be asking why our republican reps who have sworn to not raise taxes didn't vote for this to be extended.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
PS - for $85 to be 2% (it was 2% right?) of my income I'd have to be making $110,000 a year. I assure you if I was making that much $85 wouldn't really be a lot to gripe about LOL

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
PS - for $85 to be 2% (it was 2% right?) of my income I'd have to be making $110,000 a year. I assure you if I was making that much $85 wouldn't really be a lot to gripe about LOL

Wow, that is a really good point.

I just figured mine and I'm paying more than the 2% too. It is actually 3.9%, and that is not including any changes to my health care.

What a scam. :mad: :burning:

My boss told me it went from being 5.65% to 7.65%.

The total employee's side of FICA taxes went back to 7.65%. That's 6.2% for Social Security and 1.45% for Medicare. Only the Social Security tax had been cut (to 4.2%, which meant 5.65% total).

The employer pays another 7.65% with the same split (6.2% and 1.45%).

Password

keep in mind any changes to your PRIVATE health insurance costs as well. I initially thought mine had gone up more than 2% too, until I realized my health insurance company raised our per-paycheck price a few bucks.

abcxyz

The total employee's side of FICA taxes went back to 7.65%. That's 6.2% for Social Security and 1.45% for Medicare. Only the Social Security tax had been cut (to 4.2%, which meant 5.65% total).

That is so important that it should be said again:

I wish I only had a 2% increase instead of a 2% increase x the number of employees I have.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

Ok, that makes more sense to me. I'm not very savvy with political stuff. I need "Politics & Your Financial Future For Dummies". :lol:

That is so important that it should be said again:

I wish I only had a 2% increase instead of a 2% increase x the number of employees I have.

Just so that no one takes this the wrong way: The employer's side of the Social Security tax didn't go up as it hadn't been cut to begin with. It was only the employee's side that was cut from 6.2% to 4.2%.

Ok, that makes more sense to me. I'm not very savvy with political stuff. I need "Politics & Your Financial Future For Dummies". :lol:

Well... I don't know about the financial future, but politics IS for dummies. :smile:

abcxyz

You are correct and I should have worded it better.

When an employer collects the employees taxes, they are really just holding that money until they send it in to Uncle Sugar.

Since the employees didn't have to pay it, we didn't have to hold it so the check we sent in was less which made it feel like we had more money. Now that 2013 is here and that coupon expired, we hold more money but that means we have to send in more money.

Tomorrow is January 15th which means it is tax day for employers. We were running the projections for 2013 and I'm not very happy today.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Just so that no one takes this the wrong way: The employer's side of the Social Security tax didn't go up as it hadn't been cut to begin with. It was only the employee's side that was cut from 6.2% to 4.2%.

Well... I don't know about the financial future, but politics IS for dummies. :smile:

:lol: True. I'll be the first to admit I don't follow (therefore I don't understand) politics. Hard to decipher who's lying less.

Last edited: