Favorite book when you were 12?

DaSDGuy

Read these when I was about 8 years old - The Lensman series.

Those are a series of science fiction novels by American author E. E. "Doc" Smith. It was a runner-up for the 1966 Hugo award for Best All-Time Series, losing to the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
And sometimes the changes they made to the movie.

Read Fatherland by Robert Harris, then saw the movie with Rutger Hauer. Totally different endings and paths to the end.

Blade Runner was like that too. Not the same story as Do Andriods Dream Of Electric Sheep.
Haven't read or seen those either.

SamSpade

Read these when I was about 8 years old - The Lensman series.

Those are a series of science fiction novels by American author E. E. "Doc" Smith. It was a runner-up for the 1966 Hugo award for Best All-Time Series, losing to the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.
And in retrospect, probably should have won. I've still only made it about halfway - and at this point, probably ought to rewind a book or two, because I've forgotten so much. Admittedly, I'd never heard of them until I'd read that J. Michael Straczynski drew inspiration for Babylon 5 from that series.

And you read them - at 8? Man.

DaSDGuy

And in retrospect, probably should have won. I've still only made it about halfway - and at this point, probably ought to rewind a book or two, because I've forgotten so much. Admittedly, I'd never heard of them until I'd read that J. Michael Straczynski drew inspiration for Babylon 5 from that series.

And you read them - at 8? Man.
My parents always encourage us to read. We actually had time limits each day so we would stay active outside, sorta like kids with good parents have nowadays with their electronics.

SamSpade

My parents always encourage us to read. We actually had time limits each day so we would stay active outside, sorta like kids with good parents have nowadays with their electronics.
You know what I just realized? My parents noticed that I liked Star Trek back in the late 60s and early 70s - and they chose a book by a writer of one of their episodes (Harlan Ellsison) - and a book by the only sci-fi writer they knew of, Ray Bradbury - and bought me those, for Christmas. By the time I entered college, I had over a hundred sci-fi books, subscriptions to Analog, F&SF and Locus newszine.

Sadly, somewhere in college, I stopped reading for enjoyment - and I still struggle to do that now. I suppose part of it is that if I DO read, I read history or commentary or technical material - because somehow, I've convinced myself that my need to be smarter and know more things is greater than the value of reading just to enjoy it. Same thing with music - arrived in college with dozens of records, tapes, eight tracks, a stereo system - and a penchant for buying albums JUST TO LISTEN TO THEM as though I were reading a book. Lost that somewhere.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was addicted to the Tarzan series, all the John D. McDonald "Travis McGee" books, and anything/everything written by Louis L'Amour. Plus pretty much everything else I could get my hands on...I was a voracious reader then and still am now.