Favorite Campground

Elle

Happy Camper!
nachomama said:
That's what I'm talking about! :lol:

I do have a lot of friends who have, in the past year or so, purchased motor homes. Then I see them when I go to the track. I'm starting to want one. Maybe when the chillins get out of college. :nomoney:
We are looking at maybe upgrading to a camper now and there are some that are just out of this world, I guess they are lived in b/c I can't imagine paying that much for a vacation home on wheels. We are just looking at trailers though b/c I like the idea of towing it and then unhooking and being able to still explore the area. I know we could tow a car with a motor home but it would require too much additional investment (towing equipment and not to mention we'd need a new car to tow behind as well)

aps45819 said:
My sister has one, they spend about 10 months out of the year on the road. Thing cost over $100k :yikes: You can stay in a lot of hotels and eat in a lot of resturants for that.
Not to mention the cost to operate, maintain and insure. However, if you got a good deal on a used one you might not make out too bad when you sell it.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
nachomama said:
For real. Some of the motorhomes that roll up to the NASCAR races cost at least twice that. :faint: And no, they belong to the fans, not the drivers.

Yep, when we used to camp at Charlotte, we camped in Rock City which was just across the street from the Johnson RV sales. We walked around and took "tours" of the motorhomes..OMG! totally gorgeous and totally $$ $400K was the average price and that was a few years ago.

Elle said:
We are looking at maybe upgrading to a camper now and there are some that are just out of this world, I guess they are lived in b/c I can't imagine paying that much for a vacation home on wheels. We are just looking at trailers though b/c I like the idea of towing it and then unhooking and being able to still explore the area. I know we could tow a car with a motor home but it would require too much additional investment (towing equipment and not to mention we'd need a new car to tow behind as well)

I liked the fact that if the truck dies, then I still can tow the trailor and go places, the whole camper doesn't get towed into the shop (as it would if you went a motorhome route and the engine dies). Besides, I think that the fifth-wheels feel bigger when you are inside of them, taller ceilings. Just something we have noticed when in a motorhome versus a fifth-wheel.

But for camping places, we enjoy the NRC :lol:

aps45819 said:
I know. theirs was well over $100k. 4 slide outs, turbo diesel
This is exactly why we decided to invest in an interchangeable timeshare. The initial cost of the timeshare plus my entire lifetime of yearly maintenance fees do not come close to the costs of one RV that depreciates in value the moment I drive it off the lot. Add that in with the fact that whichever resort we chose to vacation at is fully equipped, multi-bedroomed and cleans itself so to speak after we leave made resort hoping my preferred vacation method.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
kwillia said:
This is exactly why we decided to invest in an interchangeable timeshare. The initial cost of the timeshare plus my entire lifetime of yearly maintenance fees do not come close to the costs of one RV that depreciates in value the moment I drive it off the lot. Add that in with the fact that whichever resort we chose to vacation at is fully equipped, multi-bedroomed and cleans itself so to speak after we leave made resort hoping my preferred vacation method.

Totally different type of vacationers. Most RV owners are on the road for long periods of time. You can't compare the two really because RV owners never really even consider staying in a hotel. And a great many RV owners tow a car.

mommarock

Lakewood Campground in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. It is a great place for kids. Right on the beach, mini-golf, pool (inside and out), activities for kids, etc. We have been going there for 4 years. Going again this year. Love it.

cattitude said:
Totally different type of vacationers. Most RV owners are on the road for long periods of time. You can't compare the two really because RV owners never really even consider staying in a hotel. And a great many RV owners tow a car.
Very different indeed! I doubt if many RVers have done the Caribean or Cozumel.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Ha! I hate Bethpage:biggrin:

And people think I'm nuts but Point Lookout is great! Greens Loop has the most awesome views and is great for bird watching:yay: The sites are large and most of them a very private. There's fishing, hiking, playgrounds and beaches. Greens loop waterfront sites offer a wonderful breeze that keeps the dang skeeters away:yay::yay: AND there aren't any dang golf carts being driven by underage or drunk drivers flying up and down the road! And camping in the winter there is great because you have the whole joint to yourself! (but you have to have a camper to stay in the winter:biggrin:)

My second favorite is Myrtle Beach Travel Park. Nice lots, indoor and outdoor pools, lazy river, fishing lake, oceanfront, great bath houses and close to the
Super Walmart and the outlets:lol: And it's not oversized so walking to everything is very easy!

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Done the KOA thing a few times and really enjoyed it. Its good camping for city folks who tend to forget stuff. They usually have stores,bathrooms and showers. They had pools and arcades in someplaces. Never had a problem and always felts secure. Will definetely do it again one day.

Pandora

mommarock said:
Lakewood Campground in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. It is a great place for kids. Right on the beach, mini-golf, pool (inside and out), activities for kids, etc. We have been going there for 4 years. Going again this year. Love it.

We stayed next door in Pirate Land and I have always wondered if that was a nice place! Pirate Land was great the first couple years we stayed there but last year, we had a hell of a time getting our camper in the site. They have it way too narrow in there.

Bethpage won a huge award a couple of years back for being the #1 campground blah blah blah, but last year, many children under the age of 6 came down with a flu that was believed to have been caused by the dirty river water. The health department was testing the water the day we left and I am sure they were going to tell nobody of the finding. That ####ty water has to run somewhere. :twitch:

We are heading out to the caverns later this month and we will be out rafting. Friends of ours are at that camp ground now and called my husband earlier today saying it is fantastic. I will have to find out the name.

Edit: Camp Luray Link

Last edited:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Anyone ever been over to Lake Fairfax Park in Reston? Looks like there's a small water park and campground there.

Elle

Happy Camper!
And as an update: Westmoreland SP was realy nice. Lots to do at the campground yet cheap and close to home.

:yay: :yay: - 2 thumbs up