Federal Govt Employees - Dec 24

Thor

Isn't that timesheet fraud?

Not if you are working from home. I was always an IT contractor so there was always something I could do from home. Or at least there was always something I could say I was doing from home.

belvak

Happy Camper
It's amazing that the tax payers have to foot the bill for an additional day off for feds yet everyone else has to burn leave.

I'm a Federal employee and I'm also a taxpayer. So, doesn't that mean I am paying for my Christmas Eve administrative leave that was just issued to me...:whistle:

ImnoMensa

It would cost more to have them working, opening the offices for a day in which no work would get done anyway.

I am happy they get the day off, I am not jealous as some appear to be. Why is it that some get upset over a benefit given to others? Its Christmas ,be a little generous. Those of you who have to work on Christmas Eve , be thankful you have a job and think of those who dont.

bubble_gum_yum

It would cost more to have them working, opening the offices for a day in which no work would get done anyway.

I am happy they get the day off, I am not jealous as some appear to be. Why is it that some get upset over a benefit given to others? Its Christmas ,be a little generous. Those of you who have to work on Christmas Eve , be thankful you have a job and think of those who dont.

:yeahthat: Tis the season to be happy for employment, health, family and friends.
If I had to work, I'd do it with a "smile" and bring along a tons of goodies to share and start the holiday off right :drool:

awpitt

Main Streeter

I don't have a problem with people getting a four day weekend. It's a four day weekend for me because my company moved the Columbus Day holiday to Christmas Eve. Perhaps the fed govt could've done the same thing. It would've achieved the same results for Christmas weekend without the additional cost.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Lost productivity. 12 paid holidays instead of the budgeted 10. Feds aready got an extra holiday when Pres Ford passed.

Are you suggesting they aren't productive when at work?
Tony, take it up with the Chief Executive as to your objections, and do not forget that not all Feds get the day off. I wonder, do you get upset when they have to work on a holiday or any other day that you have off?

mkd20012001

Live~Love~Laugh
Contractors will have to take leave. The executive ordered days off are not written in your contract. I work at a military command and the Gov't and militray people get off with special liberty for military and an unscheduled holiday or admin leave for civilians. ALL others... i.e. contractors, are not expected to work; however, must take leave to get the day off.

My contracting company made it a holiday for us...woohoo.

cecelia0613

December 24

It's amazing that the tax payers have to foot the bill for an additional day off for feds yet everyone else has to burn leave.

Yep, let's turn the electric and heat on for the two or three people who show up...that would waste more money than giving the day off.

Anyway, some businesses (non-govt) have already decided to close down on both the 24th and 31st. Of course that would be tough for those in the service industry (McDonalds, Target, Walmart, etc.) to do.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Tony, take it up with the Chief Executive as to your objections, and do not forget that not all Feds get the day off. I wonder, do you get upset when they have to work on a holiday or any other day that you have off?
Hi Ken. I know from experience that it's not good anytime one has to work on Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. We're not talking about that here. We're talking about an additional holiday beyond the ten federal holidays. I spent a few holidays on duty when in the NAV. I spent one Thanksgiving GITMO. I know the civ fed employees who have to work on holidays are well compensated for it through comp time, OT or differential.

Oh, and the Chief Executive is doing what has always been done out of habit and in January, he'll be lecturing us about govt spending.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Contractors will have to take leave. The executive ordered days off are not written in your contract. I work at a military command and the Gov't and militray people get off with special liberty for military and an unscheduled holiday or admin leave for civilians. ALL others... i.e. contractors, are not expected to work; however, must take leave to get the day off.

It is written in my contract, I get the day off with pay! :yahoo:

C

czygvtwkr

I know the civ fed employees who have to work on holidays are well compensated for it through comp time, OT or differential.

You mean getting a standard days pay for working a holiday?

I worked Columbus and Martin Luther King day this year and just got 9 hours of pay straight time, no different than working a CWS friday or a Saturday.

kalmd

You mean getting a standard days pay for working a holiday?

I worked Columbus and Martin Luther King day this year and just got 9 hours of pay straight time, no different than working a CWS friday or a Saturday.

You should get time and half (or double time I forget) when you work a federal holiday. I know in our payroll system, we code it as holiday not worked (gives you the normal pay) AND holiday worked (gives you the extra pay).