Feedback on Rookie Baseball game

I_LUV_KIDS

I'm not here to name teams or details... just interested in some feedback :) Sure there are folks on here who are some how involved or know somthing about rookie baseball. Had issues in many games on the following issues and differant coaches seem to have differant opinions on them.

1. I can't seem to find official rules for the Babe Ruth Rookie leage, my nephew is playing on a team in the Cal Ripken division. Is there a rulebook specific to that? Everything I find is talking about 2 umpires at every game and all that, which isnt the case.

2. What is a foul ball? When it lands inside the baseline and rolls out? Or when it lands out and rolls in was that a fair ball... etc... In short, is it where it first hits the ground or where it stops that counts?

3. When the ball is thrown infield but no one has picked it up does that mean the runners keep going? Or must runners stop as soon as it is thrown in?

4. Must the game stop 2 hours after start time? even when 6 innings have not been completed?

Thanks!

thurley42

HY;FR
I'm not here to name teams or details... just interested in some feedback :) Sure there are folks on here who are some how involved or know somthing about rookie baseball. Had issues in many games on the following issues and differant coaches seem to have differant opinions on them.

1. I can't seem to find official rules for the Babe Ruth Rookie leage, my nephew is playing on a team in the Cal Ripken division. Is there a rulebook specific to that? Everything I find is talking about 2 umpires at every game and all that, which isnt the case.

2. What is a foul ball? When it lands inside the baseline and rolls out? Or when it lands out and rolls in was that a fair ball... etc... In short, is it where it first hits the ground or where it stops that counts?

3. When the ball is thrown infield but no one has picked it up does that mean the runners keep going? Or must runners stop as soon as it is thrown in?

4. Must the game stop 2 hours after start time? even when 6 innings have not been completed?

Thanks!

2. A foul ball is any ball that leaves the field of play prior to the bag, or lands outside of the field of play at any time. A ball cannot start foul and roll fair at anytime.

3. The runners can advance at any time prior to time being called. The ball must be in possession of an infielder and time has to be asked for and granted.

Thanks!

Sounds to me you are looking for some ammunition to hurl at someone. Sit back, watch, and enjoy the little tikes. Don't make mountains out of mole hills. There will be plenty of years left for that!

2. A foul ball is any ball that leaves the field of play prior to the bag, or lands outside of the field of play at any time. A ball cannot start foul and roll fair at anytime.

3. The runners can advance at any time prior to time being called. The ball must be in possession of an infielder and time has to be asked for and granted.

Where did you ever get your rules from? A foul ball is any ball that hits AND settles outside the baseline PRIOR to crossing the 1st or 3rd base bag. A ball can land in foul territory prior to the bag and roll back fair. It is thus ruled a FAIR ball UNLESS a fielder touches it in foul territory. A bounding ball that crosses any part of the 1st or 3rd bag is a FAIR ball, regardless whether the ball hits outside the foul line (think in the outfield) after bounding past the bag.

Please quote me the rule number concerning runners advancing.

I_LUV_KIDS

Sounds to me you are looking for some ammunition to hurl at someone. Sit back, watch, and enjoy the little tikes. Don't make mountains out of mole hills. There will be plenty of years left for that!

I am not looking for amunition. Other people have made a mountain out of these things so that is why I'm asking. I'm in no way connected to the coaches and my words will not be used or even considered if I did speak up. This is for personal interest :)

I_LUV_KIDS

Where did you ever get your rules from? A foul ball is any ball that hits AND settles outside the baseline PRIOR to crossing the 1st or 3rd base bag. A ball can land in foul territory prior to the bag and roll back fair. It is thus ruled a FAIR ball UNLESS a fielder touches it in foul territory. A bounding ball that crosses any part of the 1st or 3rd bag is a FAIR ball, regardless whether the ball hits outside the foul line (think in the outfield) after bounding past the bag.

Please quote me the rule number concerning runners advancing.

Just remember we are talking rookie, so many rules are differant than they are at a higher level. Thats why I was inquiring about a leage specific rulebook

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Just remember we are talking rookie, so many rules are differant than they are at a higher level. Thats why I was inquiring about a leage specific rulebook

If'n you really loved kids, you could have done a simple Google search. https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclie....,cf.osb&fp=f6f446b1266aff10&biw=1680&bih=838

Fer'instance there's http://www.springfieldtownshiprec.org/2009 Rookie Boys rules.pdf page (a little dated but a fer'instance)

Then maybe there's Babe Ruth League fer'instance.

As you can see BEREA YOUTH BABE RUTH LEAGUE : Babe Ruth League Online the rules drift a little depending on the local league. Maybe contacting the local county sports program would get you local rules?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
A ball can land in foul territory prior to the bag and roll back fair. It is thus ruled a FAIR ball UNLESS a fielder touches it in foul territory.

Granted I'm not a pro or anything..

But that's the first I've heard a ball can land in foul territory and roll fair..

I've always heard, and saw, the other way around.. landed fair and rolled foul.

Freefaller

Wow, so uninformed

Granted I'm not a pro or anything..

But that's the first I've heard a ball can land in foul territory and roll fair..

I've always heard, and saw, the other way around.. landed fair and rolled foul.

Wow, do you have alot to learn about baseball. A batted ball can role foul all the way down the baseline, then hit the outside portion of the 1st (0r 3rd) base bag and you will have a fair ball. If a batted ball hits first in fair territory, then, untouched by any player, goes foul, prior to passing a base, you have a foul ball.

I'm guessing that the original poster is talking about the Charles County Youth League. Why don't you talk to the officials who run your league. I'm sude they would be happy to educate you in their local league rules.

Freefaller

For your info

Thanks!

If you're talking about the Charles County Youth League, here is some contact info.

The Commissioner for Rookie Baseball is Corey Mccabe. He can be reached at corey.mccabe@comcast.net.

You can also visit the website @ Charles County Youth League (CCYL)

I'm sure those nice folks would be glad to answer your questions.

I_LUV_KIDS

Thanks for all the info guys! Its a St. Marys county leage.

I am totally confused about this whole foul ball thing!!! What IS a foul ball anyway? LOL maybe there isnt even a rock solid rule for every little leage

yankee44

Rookie Baseball Rules

Rookie League Baseball (7 – 8 yr. olds)

-Each game shall be six (6)innings in length.

-There shall be a one hour and thirty minutes (1:30) time limit for all regular season games. Once an inning has started, it must be completed.

-Reduced Injury Factor (RIF) Level 5 baseball shall be used for Rookie League.

-A maximum of five (5) runs per team may be scored per inning until the end of the 4th inning. There will be no run limit from the 5th inning on.

-A maximum of 11 players allowed on defense (6 infield and 5 outfield). Outfielders must play in the grass area. With each new inning the team coach MUST rotate the extra player (s) in the field and a new player sits the bench for the next half inning.

-Maximum number of players per roster is 15.

-Games can be played with as few as 8 players.

-All players listed on the roster must be placed in the batting order.

-Line up must be turned into the official scorekeeper 15 minutes prior to game.

-A batter gets five pitches to either hit safely or be put out, but will not be called out on a foul ball on the 5th or subsequent pitch.

-Runners may not lead off or steal and may not leave the base until the ball is put in play. Runners leaving early may be called out.

-No bunting or “easy swings” are allowed.

-The batter must hit the ball past a ten (10) foot reference point in front of home plate and between the foul lines for it to be considered a fair and in play ball.

-Defensive player in the pitcher position must have at least one foot inside of the designated circle until the ball is put into play.

-The coach pitching to the batter must have at least one foot inside the designated circle.

-A maximum of 1 manager and 2 coaches per team are allowed to participate in the game. A team on defense may have 1 coach on the outside of each foul line (not in fair territory).

-No “big barrel” bats and no bats over 29 inches.

-A 10 run mercy rule will be in effect after 4 innings.

-Base running/field guideline

“A Dead Ball”

Once the pitcher has control of the ball and at least 1 foot inside the pitcher’s circle, the umpire should call time. (The pitcher does not have to hold the ball up or verbally call time, just have control of the ball with at least one foot inside the circle.) This is not a local rule, please see Babe Ruth 2010 handbook for further information.

-The infielder can prevent base runners from advancing any additional bases, if they obtain and retain possession of a thrown ball. Infielders should make an attempt to make a play on all batted balls.

“An Overthrow”

-Runners advance at their own risk. The defensive team may elect to attempt a play on the advancing runner.

-A batted ball is in play until the lead runner is stopped. Runners may advance on an overthrow until the lead runner is stopped.

“A Judgment Call”

-Advancement of base runners or the denial of advancement is at the umpire’s judgment.

THE ACTUAL RULE from the rule book

A FAIR BALL is a batted ball that settles on fair ground between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that is on or over fair territory when bounding to the outfield past first or third base, or that touches first, second or third base, or that first falls on fair territory on or beyond first base or third base, or that, while on or over fair territory touches the person of an umpire or player, or that, while over fair territory, passes out of the playing field in flight.

A fair fly shall be judged according to the relative position of the ball and the foul line, including the foul pole, and not as to whether the fielder is on fair or foul territory at the time he touches the ball. If a fly ball lands in the infield between home and first base, or home and third base, and then bounces to foul territory without touching a player or umpire and before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball; or if the ball settles on foul territory or is touched by a player on foul territory, it is a foul ball. If a fly ball lands on or beyond first or third base and then bounces to foul territory, it is a fair hit.

I_LUV_KIDS

thanks yankee44! think this is one of the things i read, just that enough of things don't line up so I figured there must be local guidlines... for example, lots of the games have been 2 hrs long.

yankee44

thanks yankee44! think this is one of the things i read, just that enough of things don't line up so I figured there must be local guidlines... for example, lots of the games have been 2 hrs long.

They do that alot at the local level because for 7 and 8 year olds seem to start to get distracted and tired of playing after that amount of time.