Ficus Ginseng Bonsai

sockgirl77

I bought this little dinky thing last week. Not sure why. I felt sorry for the little guy. All I have managed to find are care instructions on it. I've always wanted a bonsai but have never bought one. I wanted one with lots of leaves. I'm thankful that I didn't get one that had to be regularly pruned though.
Does anyone have any care tips? Or does anyone know how big they get?

Larry, can you help? I'm so not green-thumbed.

sockgirl77

You'll find it is easiest to stick with the basic 'landing strip' shape when trimming your bush.

:lmao: I expect no less from this damn place. The one damn time I'm actually trying to get serious info. It's usually me that ruins threads. Karma. :banghead:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I bought this little dinky thing last week. Not sure why. I felt sorry for the little guy. All I have managed to find are care instructions on it. I've always wanted a bonsai but have never bought one. I wanted one with lots of leaves. I'm thankful that I didn't get one that had to be regularly pruned though.
Does anyone have any care tips? Or does anyone know how big they get?

Larry, can you help? I'm so not green-thumbed.

I'm not Larry, but you picked a good one for your first bonsai. It'll take all kinds of mistakes and pull through fine. It's a slow grower, so it won't get too big on you. Technically you should be misting it pretty regular - which makes it happy that you are recreating it's tropical home environment, but if you aren't it'll be okay. In the winter you'll need to water it more than you are right now, but if your forget and make up the watering, that tree will forgive you. A year to two from now you will need to repot it.

Good rule of thumb for new growth...for every six new leaves you should pinch off two to three to maintain the symmetry/crown shape. That's it. Enjoy it.

sockgirl77

I'm not Larry, but you picked a good one for your first bonsai. It'll take all kinds of mistakes and pull through fine. It's a slow grower, so it won't get too big on you. Technically you should be misting it pretty regular - which makes it happy that you are recreating it's tropical home environment, but if you aren't it'll be okay. In the winter you'll need to water it more than you are right now, but if your forget and make up the watering, that tree will forgive you. A year to two from now you will need to repot it.

Good rule of thumb for new growth...for every six new leaves you should pinch off two to three to maintain the symmetry/crown shape. That's it. Enjoy it.

Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I'm awful with plants and actually hate the damn things. I hate dirt in the house so I opted to get one of these. I wanted something to grow with us. I live in a condo so I can't go outside and plant a tree. :ohwell:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Oh and when you prune it, it may "bleed" a milky substance. It's okay. Leave it alone and it'll seal up on it's own.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I'm awful with plants and actually hate the damn things. I hate dirt in the house so I opted to get one of these. I wanted something to grow with us. I live in a condo so I can't go outside and plant a tree. :ohwell:

If you want a larger indoor tree in the future, another very forgiving larger tree would be a rubber tree plant.