FiOS coming to La Plata !

CK-1

Good question.. Five months with no reply.... Doesn't look good

Will FIOS be availible at Stoneleigh (off of Grosstown Road/Oliver Shop Rd)?

CK-1

The wait continues

FYI... About a week ago, Verizon setup a booth at the corner store parking lot of Wheatley Rd and Rt.6. It seems Verizon was handing out flyers to people who lived in the general area that contained TV Channel info. People who had a "Welcome to Verizon/FIOS" flyer in or on their mailbox where switched on. As many of us here are still waiting for some kind of fiber optics to happen, I asked the Verizon people when will internet be available further down Oliver Shop Road and Grosstown. The look on their face wasn't encouraging and they didn't know the answer as well.

hockeynutmd

I asked as well on two different occasions, sent two different emails with never a reply. I did get a reply from the Charles County CIO, Evelyn Jacobson, who stated that Verizon told her it was not technically feasible to expand the fiber that has already been run.

Email response below:

On Sep 19, 2014, at 9:09 AM, "Evelyn Jacobson" <jacobsoe@charlescountymd.gov> wrote:
Good morning Mr. xxx,

After multiple emails from the County regarding service to your home, Verizon responded yesterday that your address is still beyond Verizon's fiber capabilities.

I am sorry that I do not have more positive news to relay.

Please let me know if I can provide you with any further information... or ask for any additional information from Verizon regarding your address.

Thank you,

Comcast truck was on Olivers Shop Road,(near Grosstown Rd). Driver said he was measuring for service on new road, Cindy's Shop Pl continuing to Durner Place on Saturday OCT 29, 2016. No other info known.

matb1906

Comcast on Grosstown Rd

Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this forum but Comcast is surveying the communities off of Grosstown Rd. It looks like they are heading down Oliver Shop. At this point I will take Comcast or Verizon, whichever comes first.

Dbuck913

Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this forum but Comcast is surveying the communities off of Grosstown Rd. It looks like they are heading down Oliver Shop. At this point I will take Comcast or Verizon, whichever comes first.

I spoke with the Comcast tech that was doing the survey in my development off of Grosstown rd. He told me they plan to have service to our neighborhood by June 2017. I wont hold my breath, just passing along the information he shared.

Last edited:

Dbuck913

This past August I sent an email to the Charles county IT office, asking when my home located off Grosstown Rd would get FIOS. I had sent a similar request to them back in 2015. Here is the response:

"It is our understanding, from Verizon, that your home would receive service from their LaPlata Wire Center location. We had inquired, with Verizon, about serviceability to your home in January 2015. At that time, Verizon indicated that your home was beyond the technical capabilities of the LaPlata Wire Center's equipment; per Verizon, the equipment in the wire center could only send the FiOS signal approximately 65,000 feet and your residence was beyond that.

Since that time, Verizon has been working on an upgrade of the equipment in the LaPlata Wire Center. In response to our most recent request (August 2016) regarding serviceability to your residence, Verizon responded with the following... "This address is also located in a hub that is being redesigned with our extended reach optics and at this time I cannot tell you if it qualifies for density. You can check back in a few month if you would like."

matb1906

That's good to know but, like you I am cautiously optimistic. For now I am using Timbuktu Wireless which is meeting my current need for unlimited data. It is about as fast and reliable as DSL and allows me to stream video and music so I am good for now.

matb1906

This past August I sent an email to the Charles county IT office, asking when my home located off Grosstown Rd would get FIOS. I had sent a similar request to them back in 2015. Here is the response:

"It is our understanding, from Verizon, that your home would receive service from their LaPlata Wire Center location. We had inquired, with Verizon, about serviceability to your home in January 2015. At that time, Verizon indicated that your home was beyond the technical capabilities of the LaPlata Wire Center's equipment; per Verizon, the equipment in the wire center could only send the FiOS signal approximately 65,000 feet and your residence was beyond that.

Since that time, Verizon has been working on an upgrade of the equipment in the LaPlata Wire Center. In response to our most recent request (August 2016) regarding serviceability to your residence, Verizon responded with the following... "This address is also located in a hub that is being redesigned with our extended reach optics and at this time I cannot tell you if it qualifies for density. You can check back in a few month if you would like."

I will take whichever comes first, I am not overly picky. It will be interesting to see the pricing with and without the competition. Thanks for sharing the information.

Dbuck913

That's good to know but, like you I am cautiously optimistic. For now I am using Timbuktu Wireless which is meeting my current need for unlimited data. It is about as fast and reliable as DSL and allows me to stream video and music so I am good for now.

How is the Timbuktu service?

matb1906

How is the Timbuktu service?
It allows us to watch Netflix on multiple devices without any buffering. It's about as fast and reliable as dsl. Serves its purpose for sure. I will keep it until Comcast or Verizon arrives. Billing is month to month with no contracts so it's no risk.

Dbuck913

It allows us to watch Netflix on multiple devices without any buffering. It's about as fast and reliable as dsl. Serves its purpose for sure. I will keep it until Comcast or Verizon arrives. Billing is month to month with no contracts so it's no risk.

However, back on October 13th, we had also reached out to Verizon to see if there had been any change in your area due to their recent upgrades in the La Plata Wire Center. We hadn't heard back from them as of today, so your email prompted us to follow back up with them.

Verizon responded that your home does meet their density calculation and also that, due to the upgrades in their La Plata Wire Center, it also meets their technical requirements. As a result, Verizon states that they do plan to extend service to your home. However they do not have an estimated date yet and have asked us to check back with them in March 2017.

Please note that this recent upgrade to the Verizon La Plata Wire Center resulted in their ability to provide service to many additional homes; Verizon is currently busy with construction projects both in the eastern and western side of the County. They have not shared with us their anticipated build schedule however we plan on trying to get a better feel for their timelines.

Dayton22

Friggin Comcast

I live off of Oliver Shop Road and I'm not sure if you guys noticed, but the cable being pulled past TC Martin Elementary ends on the corner of Oliver Shop and Edelen Road. I stopped and spoke with the crew that was working on the line during the week and they responded that as far as they knew that location was the end of their pull. I'm thinking maybe the cable stops at the border of Bryantown and Hughesville? I live in Hughesville and as usual we get left in the dark by Comcast. If you go to Comcast website and search for service you get a message to call Comcast if you put in an address in the area where the cable was pulled. If you put in an address near Grosstown Road you get a service not available in your area message.

Maybe sometime next Summer for FiOS in Hughesville depending on how long it takes to get the lines in the ground?

osedelen.JPG

Dbuck913

I live off of Oliver Shop Road and I'm not sure if you guys noticed, but the cable being pulled past TC Martin Elementary ends on the corner of Oliver Shop and Edelen Road. I stopped and spoke with the crew that was working on the line during the week and they responded that as far as they knew that location was the end of their pull. I'm thinking maybe the cable stops at the border of Bryantown and Hughesville? I live in Hughesville and as usual we get left in the dark by Comcast. If you go to Comcast website and search for service you get a message to call Comcast if you put in an address in the area where the cable was pulled. If you put in an address near Grosstown Road you get a service not available in your area message.

Maybe sometime next Summer for FiOS in Hughesville depending on how long it takes to get the lines in the ground?

View attachment 115981

In Mid October, Comcast was in my community which is located off Grosstown rd. I stopped and talked with the tech, and he stated he was taking measurements for cable installation. When I asked him when the planned install would happen, he didn't have an answer!!! No Surprise.

Dbuck913

I just got an email from the county that Comcast will begin installation of service to my community on grosstwon Rd in June 2017. The county also informed me that Verizon also plans fios service to my community in early to mid 2017. Will see if it really happens.