FiOS coming to La Plata !

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Found out our HOA is blocking Verizon Fios from connecting us in CRE. No idea why since Comcast Xfinity is available to us.

Comcast is a non-regulated company, therefore they can enter into exclusivity contracts, usually at a price, with HOA's to keep Verizon out.

Dbuck913

Comcast is a non-regulated company, therefore they can enter into exclusivity contracts, usually at a price, with HOA's to keep Verizon out.

Construction is underway all along Oliver Shop rd, Oaks road and most of the sub-divisions. Hopefully service by the end of summer

OldHillcrestGuy

Construction is underway all along Oliver Shop rd, Oaks road and most of the sub-divisions. Hopefully service by the end of summer

Be nice if they would come out Oaks Road to Three Notch Rd. In my opinion there are more homes from Carrico Mill rd. to Charlotte Hall rd. then there is around Oliver Shop and Grosstown. Last year some guys came through my development taking measurements and left little sprayed painted numbers in the street. My thoughts were maybe Fios, we already have Comcast in our neighborhood, the streets our fine they don't need to be resurfaced and SMECO came through about 5-6 years ago and did complete rewire and new transformers (the power was always going out). So Fios was about the only other thing they could have been measuring for.

Dbuck913

Be nice if they would come out Oaks Road to Three Notch Rd. In my opinion there are more homes from Carrico Mill rd. to Charlotte Hall rd. then there is around Oliver Shop and Grosstown. Last year some guys came through my development taking measurements and left little sprayed painted numbers in the street. My thoughts were maybe Fios, we already have Comcast in our neighborhood, the streets our fine they don't need to be resurfaced and SMECO came through about 5-6 years ago and did complete rewire and new transformers (the power was always going out). So Fios was about the only other thing they could have been measuring for.

It looks to me like that is the plan. I noticed new white spray painted marks on Oaks rd starting from Oliver Shop. There are also new spray painted marks along Oaks rd at the entrance to all of the developments between Oliver shop and Three Notch. They are the same white painted marks that FIOS is using for install along Oliver Shop rd, so my guess is it is coming your way as well.

hockeynutmd

It looks to me like that is the plan. I noticed new white spray painted marks on Oaks rd starting from Oliver Shop. There are also new spray painted marks along Oaks rd at the entrance to all of the developments between Oliver shop and Three Notch. They are the same white painted marks that FIOS is using for install along Oliver Shop rd, so my guess is it is coming your way as well.

Comcast is being installed along Oliver Shop Road and into the developments. No word on FiOS expansion.

Dbuck913

Comcast is being installed along Oliver Shop Road and into the developments. No word on FiOS expansion.

I am fairly sure Verizon has started to install fiber in multiple developments off oliver shop rd. They have not yet started to install the fiber along Oliver shop to connect the developments. Take a drive down Corinthian Court, Amberleigh Lane, Crescent Run and you will see the fiber installed but not yet connected.

hockeynutmd

You're correct, I live off of Amberleigh Lane and they are installing conduit and main line fiber; but the vendor is Comcast not Verizon.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Don't put too much stock in FIOS. We lived in Calvert for 20 years, and it never happened. We even had to wait for Comcast to get to us. We now live in Montgomery County., and have Verizon FIOS for internet which goes in and out all the time. We chose to use DirectTV instead of Comcast for tv. They are ok, sort of. My dot and SIL just gave up FIOS for internet and tv (Mont Cty), and have found alternatives; I don't know the details. Also, when our contract with Verizon for phone is ended, we will be changing that, too. What I can't stand is even though no plan change is requested, these companies send bills that up the charges. I am tired of fighting with them all.

Dbuck913

You're correct, I live off of Amberleigh Lane and they are installing conduit and main line fiber; but the vendor is Comcast not Verizon.

Verizon was in my community off grosstown rd today marking for install. Spoke with the verizon tech, and he told me we should have fios service within the next 1-2 months.

hockeynutmd

Verizon was in my community off grosstown rd today marking for install. Spoke with the verizon tech, and he told me we should have fios service within the next 1-2 months.

Verizon's vendor also dropped off cables and underground boxes in Amberleigh Farms yesterday afternoon.

matb1906

Verizon now shows a day counter for service availability in Hughesville. The counter shows 78 days for my address off of Grosstown Rd. That puts us in early November.

Clem72

It looks like a new option for high-speed internet will be coming on Nov 1: https://www.peakenetbroadband.com/

Looks interesting, though I think their prices might be a bit too high to be competitive in areas where they overlap with Metrocast. But for those with no options or DSL, this will probably work well.

I used a similar service about 15 years ago and paid $50 for 1mbit so I'm glad to see the tech has improved.

Dbuck913

Verizon now shows a day counter for service availability in Hughesville. The counter shows 78 days for my address off of Grosstown Rd. That puts us in early November.

That seems long, considering Verizon has already installed the underground fiber in my development off Grosstown Rd. But then again, for as long as we have waited for them to provide service, I guess nothing should surprise us at this point..

Will be interesting to see if Comcast provides service sooner. Seems like they are racing each other at this point to get cable and Fiber installed in all of the developments between Wheatley and Oaks Rd.

Can you post the link to the Verizon counter you mention?

Thanks

wubbles

Anyone have an idea of what ping times will be like for Peake? The speeds seem great but doesn't matter if everything has a quarter second pause from high ping.

matb1906

That seems long, considering Verizon has already installed the underground fiber in my development off Grosstown Rd. But then again, for as long as we have waited for them to provide service, I guess nothing should surprise us at this point..

Will be interesting to see if Comcast provides service sooner. Seems like they are racing each other at this point to get cable and Fiber installed in all of the developments between Wheatley and Oaks Rd.

Can you post the link to the Verizon counter you mention?

Thanks

The link to check the number of days can be found here www.verizon.com/local/washington-dc-fios/. I have also attached an image

Verizon.jpg

Clem72

Anyone have an idea of what ping times will be like for Peake? The speeds seem great but doesn't matter if everything has a quarter second pause from high ping.

Their tech said ~2ms per hop, at most 4 hops to their upstream connection. If true, that's in line with most wired ISP solutions.

Dbuck913

Thanks for the link, I tried it for my address, which is off Grosstown and Sandy Bottom and it came back as no planned service, even though Verizon has already installled the fiber in my delevlopment. Time will tell.

Just checked the Verizon link, and it still indicates another 55 days until service will be available. Which now puts it in late November/early December. I guess I should not be surprised at this point. Both FIOS and Comcast have finished the install in my community. Not sure why the delay in connecting the communities to the main line