First Gun

sockgirl77

Any recommendations for a first gun for an 8 year old boy? The boy wants to hunt. I'm not ready for it, but he is. :ohwell:

Any recommendations for a first gun for an 8 year old boy? The boy wants to hunt. I'm not ready for it, but he is. :ohwell:

robot.jpg

:coffee:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
:nono: He's past that stage now. I pacified him with Super Soakers and Nerf guns for a few years. He's had the biggest and baddest but they're not real. The boy wants a real gun. The Air Soft will kill a dove but not a deer. The Super Soakers and Nerfs wouldn't do any damage to anything but my head.

ok... so here is the big difference.

you hope to bring your child up with respect of guns. :yay:... UNLIKE SOME OF THE FOOLS OUT THERE.

i watch my neighbor kids role play with the gun LIKE THEY ARE KILLING SOMEONE OR ROBBING THEM!!!

this is the reason I feel guns should not be given out in schools... taken to schools... i dont care if they are fake.

please tell me how you will feel about a kid sneeking a REAL gun into school and aiming it at your child.

not to say any child could not go crazy.... but many that have been brought up with the respect of firearms know what could happen.

I think its fine to get your child something to go hunting with... Im sure its not going to sit in his closet or where he can just go grab it.... Im also sure he isnt going in the wood alone :buddies:

good luck

DEEKAYPEE8569

What does he want to hunt? Small game or 30-pointer's?
Get him a .22 and teach him how to shoot first. THEN, move up to something with a little more "grunt." JMHO

sockgirl77

you hope to bring your child up with respect of guns. :yay:... UNLIKE SOME OF THE FOOLS OUT THERE.

i watch my neighbor kids role play with the gun LIKE THEY ARE KILLING SOMEONE OR ROBBING THEM!!!

this is the reason I feel guns should not be given out in schools... taken to schools... i dont care if they are fake.

please tell me how you will feel about a kid sneeking a REAL gun into school and aiming it at your child.

not to say any child could not go crazy.... but many that have been brought up with the respect of firearms know what could happen.

I think its fine to get your child something to go hunting with... Im sure its not going to sit in his closet or where he can just go grab it.... Im also sure he isnt going in the wood alone :buddies:

good luck

I just asked for advice on a first HUNTING gun to ####ing get him. I'll make sure that he doesn't sneak his rifle into his bookbag. :yay:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
also look at some of the hunt clubs... they may even help him out..

both of you need to learn the basics of the gun.... learn all about the gun, how to clean it, how to unjam it, all the what ifs....

sockgirl77

Get him a .22 and teach him how to shoot first. THEN, move up to something with a little more "grunt." JMHO

The bf is a coon hunter so I'm sure that he'll be tagging along for that but he really wants to bring Mommy some Bambi burger. :smile:

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Socki - my first rifle was a Henry 22 lever action rifle but I had already been firing hand guns.

Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right

But the Cricket rifles for youths are nice and much more reasonably priced and they are single shot, which is good for learning on.

Crickett Rifles, Davy Crickett, Youth Rifles

And I know the NRA recommends the Savage (and Cabellas carries those - so you could do a road trip to check them out)
Savage® Arms CUB Mini Youth .22 LR Single-Shot Rimfire Rifle, Single-Shot, Rimfire Rifles, Shooting : Cabela's

sockgirl77

Socki - my first rifle was a Henry 22 lever action rifle but I had already been firing hand guns.

But the Cricket rifles for youths are nice and much more reasonably priced and they are single shot, which is good for learning on.

And I know the NRA recommends the Savage (and Cabellas carries those - so you could do a road trip to check them out)
Savage® Arms CUB Mini Youth .22 LR Single-Shot Rimfire Rifle, Single-Shot, Rimfire Rifles, Shooting : Cabela's

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed. :love:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I just asked for advice on a first HUNTING gun to ####ing get him. I'll make sure that he doesn't sneak his rifle into his bookbag. :yay:

oh.. im on your side.... simmer

I know you are the type to teach your child right... I just dont trust everyone will do the same.

DEEKAYPEE8569

good luck

When I was about 12 years old, my Dad handed me my Grandaddy's .22 single-shot rifle; grabbed his .22 and showed me how to shoot.
A short time later, he taught me how to safely handle and fire my granddaddy's pearl-handled .38 revolver.
Now THAT was FUN!

Last edited:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
When I was about 12 years old, my Dad handed me my Grandaddy's .22 single-shot rifle; grabbed his .22 and showed me how to shoot.
A short time later, he taught me how to safely handle and fire my granddaddy's pearl-handled .38 revolver. Now THAT was FUN!

I have handled guns since i was very young.... my father NEVER was the type to hide them (locked up yes)

we always sat down with him and helped clean and learn about them

.... I have taken my time and finally purchased my first hand gun.

I am pro gun.... but know when they fall into wrong hands its bad.

oohh and that does sound like fun.

sockgirl77

oh.. im on your side.... simmer

I know you are the type to teach your child right... I just dont trust everyone will do the same.

I'm looking into hunter safety courses now. As scared as I am of guns, I'll be taking all precautions to keep the gun locked up and my boy safe.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I'm looking into hunter safety courses now. As scared as I am of guns, I'll be taking all precautions to keep the gun locked up and my boy safe.

:huggy:... dont be scared...

you will become comfortable with it.. and will learn to love to go shoot it

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

:yeahthat: single shot .22
Learn safe handling, marksmanship and respect for the lethality without the possibility of rapidly repeating the same mistake

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I'm going to have to take the course with him. Shooting a gun is on my bucket list. :lol:

i wish they would have another ladies shoot night....

those were great!!!!!

I have to contact sharon and get up there soon!!

sockgirl77

:yeahthat: single shot .22
Learn safe handling, marksmanship and respect for the lethality without the possibility of rapidly repeating the same mistake

So I now know what the boy is getting for Xmas. Guess I'll start shopping now. I miss my baby boy. :ohwell: