First They Came for Alex Jones

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
When Maher explained to his audience that Apple, Google, Facebook, and Spotify colluded to boot Jones and InfoWars from their platforms, most in the audience applauded enthusiastically. More troubling, guest Jennifer Granholm, a former Michigan governor, shouted, “Thank God.”

To his credit, the contrarian Maher scolded the audience. "If you're a liberal you're supposed to be for free speech,” he said. “That's free speech for the speech you hate." He made little headway with the audience or his guests. If any other prominent liberal voice in the media protested Jones’s exile, he or she or ‘zhe’ has done so sotto voce.

One can argue that the media platforms that evicted Jones were private concerns, but the collusion among them was symptomatic of the nearly universal urge on the left to suppress speech that challenges the left/liberal agenda.

The private enterprise argument cannot be made in the four cases that follow. In these cases, the media conspired with the government to punish individuals whose media efforts threatened Democrats in power. I have met the individuals profiled here in the course of my own work. I am sure there are many more that I have not met who have suffered similar or worse fates.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2018/08/first_they_came_for_alex_jones.html#ixzz5OiYpi4la

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Granholm — a far-left CNN commentator and advisor to Media Matters — yelled "thank God!" after Maher brought up how social media companies had kicked Jones off their platforms (after receiving pressure from CNN to do so).

Maher, who noted that Jones had told "crazy lies" about him, responded to Granholm's smirk — and cheers from the audience — by saying, "well, if you’re a liberal, you’re supposed to be for free speech."

"That’s free speech for the speech you hate," Maher passionately stated. "That’s what free speech means. We’re losing the thread of the concepts that are important to this country."

"If you care about the real American sh*t or you don’t," Maher continued. "And if you do, it goes for every side. I don’t like Alex Jones, but Alex Jones gets to speak. Everybody gets to speak."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/34704/watch-cnn-analyst-cheers-banning-alex-jones-bill-ryan-saavedra

I despise Maher ... but at least HE Gets it

SamSpade

I despise Maher ... but at least HE Gets it

From time to time - I do agree with him.
I do think he's probably a very disagreeable person - in person - but I've read some of his stuff.
Remember when he took Bush to task for calling the 9/11 attackers cowards?
He wasn't wrong. Yes, they took innocent lives, but while doing what they did was not heroic,
most people aren't brave enough to incinerate themselves for what they believe.

I remember when he challenged the concept of cultural imperialism - the idea that our pop culture, TV,
movies, junk food and so forth are spreading across the planet and forcing its way into every other
culture on the planet. So what? he said. You think the most powerful nation to ever exist on this planet
wouldn't be felt ANYWHERE? And he mentions of the premier powers that have existed on our planet at
any given time - America has striven greatly to tread lightly on everyone else - unlike every other power
that has exploited it for themselves and run roughshod on everyone else.

The reason we let EVERYONE speak as they want is, once someone has the power to shut another up -
it may one day be someone who can shut YOU up. As long as no one has the power, EVERYONE's voice
is free.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
America has striven greatly to tread lightly on everyone else - unlike every other power
that has exploited it for themselves and run roughshod on everyone else.

That is the most under appreciated quality we have.

They teach students to view the U.S. in the vein of the exploits from the British, Spanish or Roman Empire.