Fish identification

fishinfool

Among other things
thakidistight said:
Well you cant be that much of a Fishin Fool if you dont know what a toadfish is...... :lmao:

The bay isn't the only body of water in the world. I'm just learning its ways.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Mikeinsmd said:
No, by spine I mean their backbone. To kill them. :dead:
That's what I meant. Kill them because their spines are poisonous. I remember my folks always stabbing them with an ice pick, removing the fish from the hook while being careful not to touch the fish itself, then chucking the speared fish back into the water using the ice pick. :dead:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
jazz lady said:
That's what I meant. Kill them because their spines are poisonous. I remember my folks always stabbing them with an ice pick, removing the fish from the hook while being careful not to touch the fish itself, then chucking the speared fish back into the water using the ice pick. :dead:

Soooooo..... It it the same thing in with the shellfish at the Marine Museum. Or is it at least possible?

I've been waiting all day to make an "I told you so" phone call. :tap:

SeaRide

pixiegirl said:
I did fool but I can't tell. The ones at the Marine Museum are only like 2-3 inches but their little info board said they get to about 6 inches. They look similar but I can't tell if it's the same thing.

I think it's called "bennies" .. if you had read the sign it would have mention the names of the fishes.

Let me search for a pic on the 'net.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
SeaRide said:
I think it's called "bennies" .. if you had read the sign it would have mention the names of the fishes.

Let me search for a pic on the 'net.

It had the scientific name but no common name. Toadfish isn't too scientific now is it? :lol:

Mikeinsmd

Triggerfish said:
Did you also enjoy tearing legs and wings off insects when you were a kid? :confused:
Yea I did. :lol: I believe the purpose was we believed they ate oysters and weren't good for anything so we killed em. :yay:

Triggerfish

The toadfish has no commercial value and is generally considered a nuisance due to its powerful and potentially dangerous jaws which make it tough to remove from fishing hooks; however, it is edible.
It can survive out of water for extended periods.
This fish is also plays an important role in medical research.
NASA and the Marine Biological Lab in Woods Hole just completed experiments in which toadfish were sent to space.

http://www.fisheries.vims.edu/toadfish.htm

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Triggerfish said:
The toadfish has no commercial value and is generally considered a nuisance due to its powerful and potentially dangerous jaws which make it tough to remove from fishing hooks; however, it is edible.
It can survive out of water for extended periods.
This fish is also plays an important role in medical research.
NASA and the Marine Biological Lab in Woods Hole just completed experiments in which toadfish were sent to space.

Ok maybe they do have some value, just not to me as of right now, unless they some how are used to permantley get rid of grey hairs?

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Triggerfish said:

Why does this remind me of some of the random cruelty a kid will do? Instead of "hamster in a microwave" it's "toadfish in space."

Please note: I'm not encouraging anyone to do either of these things.

Unless it's for science! :lol:

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Triggerfish said:
Fish identification 09-21-2005 12:26 PM I enjoyed ripping the gills out of triggerfish

grey karma....hmmm...I wonder who gave me grey. :lol:

Probably the same toadfish that gave me red. Some folks just don't think anything is funny.

Mikeinsmd

tlatchaw said:
Probably the same toadfish that gave me red. Some folks just don't think anything is funny.
Fish identification 09-22-2005 07:18 AM Torturing small animals as a boy. Why doesn't this surprise me?

Our local peta goobers.... :lol: No balls to sign though, I love it!! :lmao:

Triggerfish said:
Fish identification 09-21-2005 12:26 PM I enjoyed ripping the gills out of triggerfish

grey karma....hmmm...I wonder who gave me grey. :lol:
We used to catch hundreds of triggerfish in the gulf of california. Great fighters and good eating! I liked the way they chomped on the pliers. Made bar dogs look like toothless old ladies.