Flag at half-staff

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is to advise that Governor Larry Hogan ordered the Maryland State Flag be lowered to half-staff effective immediately and returned to full-staff at sunset on the day of interment (not yet known). This action is in honor of Delegate Michael E. Busch, Speaker of the Maryland House of Delegates,who died Sunday, April 7, 2019. Speaker Busch represented Legislative District 30.

TPD

the poor dad
It seems the flag stays at half staff more than fully raised. Mine included.....

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Such ceremonial occasions belong to heroes. Instances such as this belittle, denigrate, and trivialize, the memories of those that gave a true measure to protect the Republic.

It is not a ceremonial occasion, but a sign of respect. I don't think it belittles, denigrates or trivializes anyone else's memory. A government employee of the state has served the state, and out of respect to that service, the flag is lowered to show respect at their passing.

limblips

PREMO Member
From the Maryland Flag Code:
- By order of the Governor or his authorized representative, the Maryland flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of present or former government officials or state and national leaders, and on other occasions as the Governor or his authorized representative directs. The Maryland flag shall remain at half-staff for the period prescribed by the Governor or his authorized representative.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Except it's not the US flag but the Maryland flag.
That may be so. It still stands that a person that works against the rights of the people, should never have any flag flown at half-staff, and never be recognized other than as a traitor to their oath of office and of the people purported to represent.

awpitt

Main Streeter
If I may ...

That may be so. It still stands that a person that works against the rights of the people, should never have any flag flown at half-staff, and never be recognized other than as a traitor to their oath of office and of the people purported to represent.

He was elected by his constituents to be a delegate and subsequently elected by his colleagues to be Speaker. Thus the Maryland Flag Code applies. Your opinion of him has no bearing here.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

He was elected by his constituents to be a delegate and subsequently elected by his colleagues to be Speaker. Thus the Maryland Flag Code applies. Your opinion of him has no bearing here.

Au contraire de ce que tu prétends, cela n’est pas le cas. My opinion has bearing here just as every other a--hole here does.

RodRugg

When my uncle Stanley worked on the grounds crew at the government building he said sometimes they raised the flag just halfway because somebody famous died or because something special happened but sometimes it was because one of the kids from Springdell who got to come over to raise the flag would get tired or distracted about halfway through. They used to tell them kids that if the flag ever touched the ground then they would have to take them out back and destroy them. That seemed to work for that so they probably should have said something like that would happen to them if they didn't get the flag all the way to the top.