Flag at Potomac Speedway

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Hey, if they want to go down in history as being on the side of slavery, assassins and other criminal acts (like murder), let them live with that proud tradition.

That legacy belongs to the North. :patriot:

Who do you think pardoned murderers if they would fight for him? Who do you think unleashed the criminally insane?
If you guessed Lincoln, give that man a Cupey Doll!

"Some men you just can't reach"

TheLibertonian

One of the beautiful things about Maryland is its strange intersection during the Civil War. Maryland voted overwhelmingly to stay with the Union. I forget the exact numbers but it was more then 85% of the states delegates.

However, due to Lincolns actions during the war, many Marylander citizens were very anti-Lincoln. The fact that Baltimore was a stopping point for northern troops on the way to the front became a tension builder during the early civil war, and lead to a infamous riot.

Slavery was also not the same in Maryland as it was in the deeper south. For one thing, there is evidence of black plantation owners who had slaves. For another, the jim crow laws, both written and unwritten, were not so harsh here as they were elsewhere. That is not to say the situation was in parity or equality reigned, but there is a sharp division line that is drawn upon the Potomac River. Maryland was Southern, but it was Tidewater Southern, midatlantic southern.

Marylands history with the confederacy is mixed. The fact is, at the time and for many years after, there was tension between Maryland and Virginia due to the long disputed river, and the economic competition.

And as I've indicated, the state was largely anti-seccessionest.

If an individual wishes to wave the flag of an enemy state that declared war upon the United States of America, that is their prerogative. I would not hold it illegal for a man to wave the flag of Iraq or Great Britain or Germany. Whether I think it' personally stupid doesn't matter a lick.

That being said....the "flag of the confederacy" is the "battle flag of northern virginia". It is not the flag of Maryland patriots who fought for the South.

They flew the Crossland arms.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
One of the beautiful things about Maryland is its strange intersection during the Civil War. Maryland voted overwhelmingly to stay with the Union. I forget the exact numbers but it was more then 85% of the states delegates.

However, due to Lincolns actions during the war, many Marylander citizens were very anti-Lincoln. The fact that Baltimore was a stopping point for northern troops on the way to the front became a tension builder during the early civil war, and lead to a infamous riot.

Slavery was also not the same in Maryland as it was in the deeper south. For one thing, there is evidence of black plantation owners who had slaves. For another, the jim crow laws, both written and unwritten, were not so harsh here as they were elsewhere. That is not to say the situation was in parity or equality reigned, but there is a sharp division line that is drawn upon the Potomac River. Maryland was Southern, but it was Tidewater Southern, midatlantic southern.

Marylands history with the confederacy is mixed. The fact is, at the time and for many years after, there was tension between Maryland and Virginia due to the long disputed river, and the economic competition.

If an individual wishes to wave the flag of an enemy state that declared war upon the United States of America, that is their prerogative. I would not hold it illegal for a man to wave the flag of Iraq or Great Britain or Germany. Whether I think it' personally stupid doesn't matter a lick.

That being said....the "flag of the confederacy" is the "battle flag of northern virginia". It is not the flag of Maryland patriots who fought for the South.

Various Maryland CSA units flew various flags to include the battle flag of northern Virginia as well as the Crossland banner. There was also the "My Maryland" used by the 2ND Maryland Infantry .

TheLibertonian

Various Maryland CSA units flew various flags to include the battle flag of northern Virginia as well as the Crossland banner. There was also the "My Maryland" used by the 2ND Maryland Infantry .

Of which I know every line. I humm it regularly.

And that's true, but I mean both the civilian and the active arms population. You saw certain flags flying in the southern part of the state as compared to the north or the Appalachians.

Hijinx

The secession vote might have had something to for with Maryland Representative being locked up in Frederick and the President violating the Constitution by canceling Habeas Corpus. Tough for watermen to make a living in Southern maryland after the North burned all of their boats. Great little prison camp at Point Lookout also where so many Confederate troops died due to a lack of medicine provided by the north as paybacks for Andersonville. Placing Negro troops on the gates who shot southern prisoners for sport.

Yes Maryland has a divided history and obviously you are from the Northern part.

DannyMotorcycle

I wish the south would have won. Perhaps we wouldn't be ruled by the federal oligarchy. It's like the tenth amendment never existed. Or the second now that i think about it.. and the liberals are working on the 1st as we speak. We need some rope and a liberal purge day..week..month.. perhaps a year..

TheLibertonian

that's helpful. i thought maybe someone could tell it off the top of their head or something..

I can't actually remember off the top of my head. It was in a book I was studying for maryland history. I don't think it was Crime and Punishment in Colonial Maryland but it may be something in that vein.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Here's some good background.

[video=youtube;iMZfCar-Ks8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMZfCar-Ks8[/video]

glhs837

Power with Control
I would say Henry Louis Gates is a pretty good source (short of citing history papers):

http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2013/03/black_slave_owners_did_they_exist.html

From the link....

And for a time, free black people could even "own" the services of white indentured servants in Virginia as well. Free blacks owned slaves in Boston by 1724 and in Connecticut by 1783; by 1790, 48 black people in Maryland owned 143 slaves. One particularly notorious black Maryland farmer named Nat Butler "regularly purchased and sold Negroes for the Southern trade," Halliburton wrote.