Flounder gigging

ohstate

Airgasm said:
For a real thrill try this on a skate :yay:

We've had people spearfishing for skate on Hellens Creek in years past. Haven't seen anyone lately. At first I was wondering what they were doing with what appeared to be a bow and arrows in the water. That was before I knew anyone actually ate skate. I haven't seen any skate and/or rays in the creek this year.

Mikeinsmd

ohstate said:
We've had people spearfishing for skate on Hellens Creek in years past. Haven't seen anyone lately. At first I was wondering what they were doing with what appeared to be a bow and arrows in the water. That was before I knew anyone actually ate skate. I haven't seen any skate and/or rays in the creek this year.
It's still a lil early. Wait for the dog days of summer, you'll see em.

Agee

ohstate said:

They usually show up by the hundreds in the shallows of the Patuxent River (Town Creek) in June for mating.

Portions of the wings are edible, but I have no desire to catch them by any method. They are more of a nuisence when you're trying to catch fish. When around in large numbers, skates are all you end-up catching.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
elaine said:
I think we should have a girls night out...floundering. :lmao:

Oh, wouldn't THAT be the sight. :jet: Of course, with our personal built-in flotation devices, I don't know how much we'd "flounder." :wink:

Mikeinsmd

jazz lady said:
Oh, wouldn't THAT be the sight. :jet: Of course, with our personal built-in flotation devices, I don't know how much we'd "flounder." :wink:
My money is on the flounder... :lol:

I'm sure there'll be some "yellowtail" present as well. :lmao:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Isn't it the tip of the spear that determines whether or not it is a gig? And since you can take any fish within season and limits with a spear gun and spear between June 15 and Dec 31 in tidal waters it seems like gigging might be okay. It might be worth it to drop the DNR an email to find out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ken King said:
Isn't it the tip of the spear that determines whether or not it is a gig? And since you can take any fish within season and limits with a spear gun and spear between June 15 and Dec 31 in tidal waters it seems like gigging might be okay. It might be worth it to drop the DNR an email to find out.
:nerd: