Votes: 24 66.7%
  • Malarky

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Lady or hungry fireman, I can and do eat like both extremes. :dance:

I believe it is a continually wonderful experience to become educated and knowledgeable in proper and formal dining etiquette. I definitely chose worthy.

Open mouth chewing and smacking is sooo annoying :barf: -- as well as blowing boogies... :ohwell:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Definitely worthwhile. My wife had to educate me on the whole proper untensil thing early in courtship. I figured "what the hell, if I can stab my steak with it I'm good to go." Knowing AND USING proper etiquette is never pretentious. :yay:

XOXO17

vraiblonde said:
Malarky, except for "napkin in the lap" to protect your clothing from spills and a handy place to wipe your hands. That said, you should at least know HOW to do it so you can make a good show when confronted with a pretentious hostess at a dinner party.

My grandmother says the only real table manners you need to know are chew with your mouth closed and don't blow your nose at the table. If you can get those two down, you're golden.
Don't forget to keep your elbows off the table..my Dad was always on me about that!

XOXO17

Toxick said:
I'm talking about all the trimmings. Salad Fork, Dinner Fork, Shrimp Fork, Soup spoon, dessert spoon and knife, white wine with fish and poultry, red wine with beef, napkin on the lap, and knowing how all of this functions smoothly during a fine dining experience.

Worthwhile or Malarky?

I'm just wondering if everyone things all these formal rules of etiquette and table manners are good and useful, or a simple waste of time and effort.
I its fun to get dressed up and go out to a formal dinner-but its still fun to go out to a casual laid back dinner..You should always know how to act in a formal setting...just so you don't make an ass of yourself!

mAlice

professional daydreamer
XOXO17 said:
I its fun to get dressed up and go out to a formal dinner-but its still fun to go out to a casual laid back dinner..You should always know how to act in a formal setting...just so you don't make an ass of yourself!

Oh, the irony. :rolleyes:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Formal Dining Etiquette 04-28-2005 06:21 AM you are a b*tch

:diva:

Thank you for noticing!

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I had to think about this one for awhile. I'm kind of torn between answers, but commonsense tells me you need one knife, one fork, and one spoon to eat a meal. Keeping elbows off the table and keeping one napkin in your lap are simple good manners, just like chewing with your mouth closed.

I have eaten in places that put all that extra cutlery on the table and "expect" exaggerated forms of etiquette, and while I survived the experiences and was able to mimic all the right moves, I must say that observing the formalities really distracted me from enjoying the food.

SmallTown

Football season!
Railroad said:
I must say that observing the formalities really distracted me from enjoying the food.
Which is exactly why learning and knowing the proper ways is a good thing. When you know it, it becomes second nature and you can be as comfortable then as you are with a single fork, knife, and spoon.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
SmallTown said:
Which is exactly why learning and knowing the proper ways is a good thing. When you know it, it becomes second nature and you can be as comfortable then as you are with a single fork, knife, and spoon.
I suppose that's true. My personal preference is to avoid eating in places like that (they're most likely out of my price range anyway).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
XOXO17 said:
Don't forget to keep your elbows off the table..my Dad was always on me about that!
"Sit/stand up straight" was a basic that was to be observed at all times, not just at the dinner table. Since it's impossible to prop your elbows on a table when you're sitting up straight, it was never an issue.

SmallTown

Football season!
vraiblonde said:
"Sit/stand up straight" was a basic that was to be observed at all times, not just at the dinner table. Since it's impossible to prop your elbows on a table when you're sitting up straight, it was never an issue.
What if you are like Kain? Is it ok for a person to rest their boobs on the table during dinner? :confused:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
SmallTown said:
What if you are like Kain? Is it ok for a person to rest their boobs on the table during dinner? :confused:
Some people can't help it. :lmao: The table keeps them off the floor. :killingme

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
cattitude said:
"How do the little piggies eat?" "That's it...mommy's little piggy." :yay:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cattitude again.

:lmao: