Found in the woods

black dog

Free America
I made this sword in 1983 from leaf spring stock as an accoutrement for the late 14th Century half Scot - half Welsh mercenary Archer I have portrayed since 1978.

View attachment 120326

That's very nice, I weld for a living and manufacture a few different tools that I wholesale out. But I don't beat on a anvil for fun..
I do own a anvil, But its a Bridge Anvil.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
That's very nice, I weld for a living and manufacture a few different tools that I wholesale out. But I don't beat on a anvil for fun..
I do own a anvil, But its a Bridge Anvil.

I will admit there was no pounding on that one, and only a little welding.

I shaped the blade with a belt sander and files.

Welded up the crossguard out of 1/4" x 1/2" pieces of plate steel.
The pommel is a cast steel, auto body repair heel dolly in which I drilled a pair of interlocking holes side by side that the tang fit into, and welded it on.
The grip is wood I glued to the tang and then wrapped with leather boot laces.

I do have an anvil (107#) and have used it to make pieces of armor.

I participated in fully armored, full contact sward and shield fighting for over 20 years until I developed bad tendinitis in both shoulders.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Found this at the Kabar site, my newest knife purchase.

1249_16-Product-Catalog-Image.png

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Just curious, when would you use that? In the bush?

Yes, it replaces my old, full size machete, in my camping gear.
I find a machete, or a well balanced heavy knife, better for clearing small branches off larger branches I gather for firewood, where that is allowed.

General Lee

I find a machete, or a well balanced heavy knife, better for clearing small branches off larger branches I gather for firewood, where that is allowed.

Always had an interest in that style "machete". Just haven't gave it a whirl yet.

Clem72

My only issue would be the sharpened reverse edge, bit of a liability in a chopper and only there for looks. Might as well stick a runnel on it too, for all the sap I guess.

black dog

Free America
My only issue would be the sharpened reverse edge, bit of a liability in a chopper and only there for looks. Might as well stick a runnel on it too, for all the sap I guess.

Quoted for Truth....
For unremembered reasons, I sharpened to a razor edge, both sides of my M7 bayonet one evening.. After giving blood to the bayonet God's a few times, I requisitioned a new one.. Almost thirty years later my son found it, and he was told that one will cut you.
LOL... He hasn't taken it out of it's scabbard since...

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

The one I bought does not have that reverse sharpening.