Fox News Cheers Trump Over 1,000 Carrier Jobs; Denounced Obama For Saving 1.5 Million Auto Industry

Clem72

It still boggles my mind that anyone thinks that taking fewer taxes is giving away money, but I have to think that saving 1000 jobs permanently helps local business and produces taxes from salaries.
"Growing" your own revenue at home has to beat just reaching into Uncle Sam's pocket and giving it away in the form of handouts.

I didn't say it was giving away money, I was just answering (I thought) the question asked. I believe in general these situations end up being non-profitable for the cities/states that give the tax breaks, but maybe this one will be different (seems to be more reasonable).

That said, sometimes they do literally give away money. Quite often the locality kicks in a lot of taxpayer money to furnish buildings and infrastructure, rather than just provide the company with a tax incentive. That IS giving away money. Especially when the company just ends up leaving once the contract is up (unless they can get the city to provide even more kickbacks).

It's a race to the bottom as it doesn't fix the issues driving businesses away, merely provides incentives for the few big player companies at the expense (sometimes) of the many smaller ones.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's a race to the bottom as it doesn't fix the issues driving businesses away, merely provides incentives for the few big player companies at the expense (sometimes) of the many smaller ones.

If it was anyone but Trump, I'd readily agree. The thing is, who knows what he will actually do? If you look at his history, shedding debt, that is the one sure thing that would heal our economy and do it quickly. That is SOP for business. If the business is healthy but simply has too much debt, you get rid of it. Vendors would rather write off old debt and do new business. A consumer, man, get them cleaned up.

Right now is an epic opportunity, because interest rates are so low, to write off debt and spend be it the trillion he's talked about on infrastructure or what have you. Just gotta get rid of the debt.
He does that, man, things could improve for EVERYONE but quick.

:shrug:

black dog

Free America
Dude, think this through; yeah, it would be nice if all the illegals went away and those jobs were filled by people otherwise getting welfare. What, then, of the landlords and everyone who makes money off them now, including bosses? So, that's not happening, at least not in a major way.

Next up, it's gonna take something like 2 American's to replace each illegal, give or take.

Let's look at it your way; end all welfare today. What then? There are not those 50-60 pages of help wanted, are there? And, if 94 million idle American's go into the market, actively, what's that gonna do to wages? They fall even more.

Best example I have so far is musical chairs; the best, fastest, strongest, meanest, most connected will always get a chair. For the rest, we're not talking about being a chair or two short. We're 94 million chairs short. Say 30 million illegals go away, magically. That's still 64 million short and that's to say nothing of the lost productivity going from an eager illegal to an American whose been sitting.

Our economy needs MORE consumers. A lot more.

I'll start with, how did we as a country get along so well before we had this influx of illegals?
We both know that everyone's not ever going to go to work.
How do you come up with 2 Americans to replace 1 illegal ?
How do all these skilled trades make it work without illegals?
How does the higher education jobs make it without illegals?
We used to be a country that manufactured and shipped to the world, if we turned back into the Manufacturing powerhouse we used to be the world again will demand our products.
One of the biggest problems with illegals is that they steal and defraud more Government benefits then they ever will put back into the system.
I worked in the irrigation industry for almost 10 years and every illegal that worked under me severely abused the government giveaway system.
23 year olds taking 6-7 dependants on there tax's, living for free with there girlfriend in subsidized housing along with snap, wic, food/ clothing giveaways and more while sending 200 a week back ho.e south of the border.
They all know the system well. Most folks just don't see all that goes on behind the seen.
Think of the Hundreds of Billions we spend on people here every year that are not citizens and broke the law coming here.
Grayhound/ Trailways and Southwest should be ordering new buses and planes to ship all of them back to there motherland starting this coming January.

Last edited:

richmanmh

Less than 20 miles from me is Anderson, Indiana. Not to many years ago there were over 20 GM , Delco and Fisher plants operating in Anderson, about 28 thousand Union Auto workers. Great jobs with excellent pay and benefits.
Fast forward 15 years, ALL those jobs are gone, along with Nickelson File, Firestone and many others. All moved overseas.
The town I live in has under 5000 residents and we have three empty factory buildings just rotting away with the roofs collapsing in that are the size of super Walmarts.

Funny you bring up Anderson, I grew up there and my first job was with GM. It's very sad to go back home and see the empty fields that used to be huge manufacturing plants (more than an acre under roof), the town reduced from 3 large high schools to 1 and all of the empty or run down housing and empty stores and malls.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'll start with, how did we as a country get along so well before we had this influx of illegals? Dunno. We've always had illegals.
We both know that everyone's not ever going to go to work. Agreed. My point is that the percentage will continue to decline and the rate will accelerate. We ought to start thinking what 30, 40+ % unemployed, and not needed, looks like and how to manage it
How do you come up with 2 Americans to replace 1 illegal ? I've seen both in action
How do all these skilled trades make it work without illegals? You checked lately? A LOT of skilled guys are now not native born
How does the higher education jobs make it without illegals? such as? If you're in medicine, you've got the strongest union there is
We used to be a country that manufactured and shipped to the world, if we turned back into the Manufacturing powerhouse we used to be the world again will demand our products. Not if they cost 2 and 3 times. And quality, worldwide, is amazing even with cheap labor
One of the biggest problems with illegals is that they steal and defraud more Government benefits then they ever will put back into the system. Sez you. I doubt that
I worked in the irrigation industry for almost 10 years and every illegal that worked under me severely abused the government giveaway system. Is it their fault for taking the free lunch?
23 year olds taking 6-7 dependants on there tax's, living for free with there girlfriend in subsidized housing along with snap, wic, food/ clothing giveaways and more while sending 200 a week back ho.e south of the border. Yet another reason they're not going away. We can't afford, or won't, to replace them
They all know the system well. Most folks just don't see all that goes on behind the seen. Which is why I have SOME hope if we simply build a more sensible system. They WILL respond
Think of the Hundreds of Billions we spend on people here every year that are not citizens and broke the law coming here. Think of all the people who willingly do that and WANT to
Grayhound/ Trailways and Southwest should be ordering new buses and planes to ship all of them back to there motherland starting this coming January.

Yeah, good luck with that last. :shrug:

black dog

Free America
Funny you bring up Anderson, I grew up there and my first job was with GM. It's very sad to go back home and see the empty fields that used to be huge manufacturing plants (more than an acre under roof), the town reduced from 3 large high schools to 1 and all of the empty or run down housing and empty stores and malls.

Yep, it's truly disappointing. Folks that don't see it and or live around it just don't understand what desolation and lack of good jobs that went overseas can do to a town.
Sure Anderson has a few new factory's but unless you have a marketable skilled trade it's a 9 to 12 dollar a hour job.
Anderson like many other rust belt towns will truly be in worst shape once all the retired auto / skilled factory workers that lost or retired pass on and that monthly checks stop being spent in the local economy.

Hijinx

Pretty hard watching the tobacco barns falling down and backhoe's digging perc holes in the fields that used to support families too.