Freddie Gray/Charges

Larry Gude

Strung Out
One police officer, identified as Caesar Goodson, 45, was charged with second-degree murder, while others were charged with crimes including manslaughter and assault.

It sounds like the driver of the paddy wagon was charged with 2nd degree homicide. One of the thoughts was if he went back into that paddy wagon head first. :eyebrow:

These officers are pretty screwed. It doesn't sound like they had a basis for the arrest to begin with. Larry's earlier posting of this blog/article gives a very good description of what has been going on. https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/04/29/david-simon-on-baltimore-s-anguish

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/04/29/david-simon-on-baltimore-s-anguish

Oh, sorry! :lol:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
And this comment from her sort of eludes to this:

She shouldn't be responding to 'no justice, no peace' from people that don't have any shred of facts. She should answering to the facts.

I just turned on the TV for the first time since early this morning and that was the first thing I saw and thought the same thing. But it is what it is and only she has all of the information to reach the conclusion she did.

tommyjo

I'm watching the Baltimore's State's Attorney speak right now. It's refreshing to see someone associated with this situation speak in a way that inspires confidence and demonstrates leadership - and, frankly, doesn't make you question how the hell they got into office. Governor Hogan did the same, but some of the others - I'm thinking first and foremost about the mayor of Baltimore - left a lot to be desired.

EDIT: To reflect that Ms. Mosby is State's Attorney for Baltimore rather than Maryland.

The governor at no point has looked or sounded like a leader. He stumbled over answers, whispered answers, didn't answer and at each occasion has looked like he just rolled out of bed. If you are the leader; act, sound and look like it. This isn't a natural disaster where its ok to walk the streets in a windbreaker and slacks.

This was his first crisis...so hopefully he will learn from it.

This_person

The governor at no point has looked or sounded like a leader. He stumbled over answers, whispered answers, didn't answer and at each occasion has looked like he just rolled out of bed. If you are the leader; act, sound and look like it. This isn't a natural disaster where its ok to walk the streets in a windbreaker and slacks.

Baltimore went from a lawless burning wreck to under control in less than 20 hours. He was prepared and waiting for the required call. Compared with every other "leader" involved, he appears to be the only competent one.

What is the leaked search warrant? I can't keep up with the new information coming out.

At some point a search warrant application was leaked on which an officer claimed that a witness who had been in the vehicle with Mr. Gray said that he heard noises which made it seem like Mr. Gray was trying to injure himself. The suggestion was that he, Mr. Gray, had intentionally caused the fatal injury himself.

That planted story, as it felt like it was, never made much sense. Now it seems even more certain to have been made up.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The governor at no point has looked or sounded like a leader. He stumbled over answers, whispered answers, didn't answer and at each occasion has looked like he just rolled out of bed..

You missed the press conference that I saw. Out buying me another endearing greeting card, werncha? :kisskiss:

Hijinx

why would that matter? at least one of the cops is alledged to be black. So what, no one has said Gray was killed because he was black, not that i have heard anyway

now its your turn to have faith in the justice system. The DA brought these charges based on the facts as presented by the police. Just because you dont like the result you are claiming some sort of unfairness, just like you all claimed the protestors would if they didn't get a result they like..... :eyebrow:

I have faith in the system but not in that DA. She is trying to stop the riots and doesn't mind giving up a few cops to do it.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Hey TJ, what about the mayor who snuck out the back door with good ol' Al when she was asked questions she didn't want to answer.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
why would that matter? at least one of the cops is alledged to be black. So what, no one has said Gray was killed because he was black, not that i have heard anyway

now its your turn to have faith in the justice system. The DA brought these charges based on the facts as presented by the police. Just because you dont like the result you are claiming some sort of unfairness, just like you all claimed the protestors would if they didn't get a result they like..... :eyebrow:

Race is huge in this. Just heard a BPD veteran interview on Hannity with his voice disguised say he was pretty sure it was 3/3, and that that will factor in during this process. The State Attorney, while very clear and concise during her presser this morning, sounded like nothing other than making a political statement to sooth the black community.

The officer, in talking with a few of the now accused, was told they witnessed what was a drug transaction passed hand to hand between Gray and another individual. That's why they chased him down for their probable cause.

We'll see how it all shakes out.

Midnightrider

I thought the gov has been dead on
I have faith in the system but not in that DA. She is trying to stop the riots and doesn't mind giving up a few cops to do it.
What would you base that on? Sounded to me like she was given a pretty clear case of police misconduct and as a result she is charging the officers.
Race is huge in this. Just heard a BPD veteran interview on Hannity with his voice disguised say he was pretty sure it was 3/3, and that that will factor in during this process. The State Attorney, while very clear and concise during her presser this morning, sounded like nothing other than making a political statement to sooth the black community.

The officer, in talking with a few of the now accused, was told they witnessed what was a drug transaction passed hand to hand between Gray and another individual. That's why they chased him down for their probable cause.

We'll see how it all shakes out.
I didn't get that from her at all. While the people may have been happy with the decision to file, she really didn't have much of a choice. I mean the ME said it was a homicide that occurred in the van, and tat police knew Gray needed medical attention but did not get him help. The only question would have been how many get charged and with what.

PsyOps

Pixelated
What was wrong with that statement? She methodically walked through what (the investigation revealed) happened and what charges were being filed, as well as what this all did or didn't mean. Then, I thought, she hit the rhetorical nail on the head with that statement. She was telling the people of Baltimore (or whoever else might be involved) that they needed to behave themselves. She was saying, we - the government - are doing and going to do our job, you - the people - need to hold up your end of the bargain. We are going to get justice, whatever that is - and she had already indicated that the officers were innocent until proven guilty - so you need to maintain peace. I thought that line, that turn of phrase, was nearly perfectly crafted. It said what needed to be said, and it did so in a very simple way that is hard to argue with. You said no justice no peace, and your government heard you and is working to effectuate justice, so you owe peace in return - that was the deal you offered.

She seems to be making her decision based on demands from the public ‘no justice, no peace’ as opposed to just the evidence. She should not be answering to ‘no justice, no peace’; she should be answering to the law. Period!

I still don’t even know what the phrase means… I can guess that it means that if these folks don’t get justice – their version of justice; the same version they are still demanding in Ferguson, despite the facts pointing to Wilson doing nothing wrong; lynching people they feel have done them wrong, where no wrongdoing has occurred – there will be no peace in that city; in other words the violence will continue. I read Mosby’s comment as answering to this demand, rather than the law.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Disagree. She was hard to listen to. I do not trust her..she has an axe to grind towards officers because she blames them for the loss of a family member.

She also has ties with the Gray family...more will come out about this..

Both of Mosby's parents were cops, her grandfather was also a cop.

Midnightrider

http://video.foxnews.com/v/42098156...bnav?&playlist_id=2114913880001#sp=news-clips

This^

And, Kom yes I know that. She said a cousin ( her best friend..her words) was killed by a cop. I will try find video about that.

Funny how yesterday everybody on fox was talking about how the people just need to let the process play out. Now that it is playing out they are crying that its not fair. Well, let the process play out :yay:

It is comical watching the spin and the absolute outrage over her comment, even though when taken in context she was turning that phrase on the protestors and saying the people needed to remain peaceful. But hey, the other smears haven't worked, they just gotta keep slinging

She seems to be making her decision based on demands from the public ‘no justice, no peace’ as opposed to just the evidence. She should not be answering to ‘no justice, no peace’; she should be answering to the law. Period!

That's what she was saying she was doing - answering to the law, pursuing justice under the law. You have to take her comments in context, and based on the context of her statements it's pretty clear that's what she meant. They are seeking justice. Based on what the investigation has revealed so far, she thinks charging the officers involved is apprpriate. They will get to defend themselves against those charges if they wish to, and she went out of her way to reiterate that, under the law, they are innocent until proven guilty. It is a process, a process in pursuit of justice.

Now, you may have reason to believe that charging the officers with what they've been charged with isn't justified by the evidence that she is aware of and the laws as they exist. If that's the case, fair enough; though I would be interested in what you would base such a belief on. I won't pretend to know whether all of the charges can be justified by the evidence they have, obviously I don't know what all of that evidence is. But it seems fairly clear to me that at least some charges against some officers are warranted, someone did something wrong - most likely illegal - here.

But that aside, we're talking about what she said and whether it was appropriate. And it seems to me that it was quite appropriate. She's telling the people of Baltimore, would-be protestors, we've heard you. You want justice. You don't want this to go like other situations have, in your view, gone - where police misconduct was swept under the rug or ignored. You want these officers to be held accountable for what they did. Well, they will be. They will have to answer for what they did, under the law. Again, she was clear that this was a process and that they were innocent until proven guilty. But her point was that the authorities were doing their job - pursuing justice. So the people need to hold up their end, acting peacefully while they pursue it. What in the hell is wrong with that message, it seems dead on balls right to me?

Like I suggested, perhaps you disagree that this is justice - that charging the officers and trying to make cases against them is wrong, that it isn't justified by the evidence but rather is motivated by an improper desire to appease certain people. I don't see that. Perhaps it's true, but I don't have good reason to believe it yet. But as for what she said, it was quite reasonable. She wasn't saying we're ####ing these officers over so ya'll calm down. She was saying, we're pursuing justice so you all be peaceful. She gave no hint in that press conference that she was doing anything other than following the law as you suggest she should be doing.

PJay

New here. Wanted to say really like Sheriff Clarke and have followed him for a while. Too bad more officials and political leaders don't think like him or act as dignified as he does.

Welcome to the forums. And, I agree with you. I love the sheriff.