Freedom of Speech Is Dead

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

The court’s action happened on Thursday, according to the Washington Post.

Virginia Supreme Court puts school boards on notice: preferred pronoun mandates won’t fare well
Big win for @ADFLegal & @JasonMiyaresVA, bad sign for @VASchoolBoards
Virginians enjoy stronger conscience rights than under U.S. Constitutionhttps://t.co/pHhBVE14rN
— Greg Piper (@gregpiper) December 15, 2023

The newspaper continued:

In a split 143-page decision, the justices overturned a lower court decision dismissing Peter Vlaming’s case, which has drawn national attention because it pitted the hotly contested issues of transgender rights and religious freedom against each other. In its 4-3 decision, the Supreme Court remanded the case to a lower court for trial.
The Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), the conservative Christian group that is representing Vlaming, called the ruling a “sweeping victory” for free speech and religious rights, and Virginia Attorney General Jason S. Miyares (R) said “it dramatically expands the protection of religious liberty.”

In a social media post on Thursday evening, the Babylon Bee’s Seth Dillon shared his thoughts on the issue, writing, “Cases like these prove that they aren’t just ‘preferred’ pronouns. They’re mandatory.”

“You’ll be fired if you don’t use them. So let them fire you, then sue them and defend your freedom. You have every right to refuse to affirm radical gender ideology,” he stated:

Reactions: TPD

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Feds Are Cracking Down on Humor

The self-righteous, "saving the world" joy suck attitude gets even worse when leftists get into government. The federal bureaucracy can drain the sunshine out of anyone's psyche, and it begins to affect even non-leftists in government after a while. The malaise so afflicts them that they begin looking for ways to mandate their misery.

Athena wrote a story yesterday about the latest bout of federal morosity:

God forbid anyone enjoy a light-hearted laugh as they trudge along on the daily treadmill of life. When you're driving down the highway in late October, say, why should you enjoy a chuckle at a sign reminding you to “Make mummy happy, buckle up," when you can instead be bleakly chided, “UNBUCKLED SEAT BELTS FINE + POINTS.”
Here comes the government to fix more problems we didn't know we had. Policy wonks have been busy updating the rules, and now funny variable message signs (VMS) such as these must go from the wayside:

I've long admired lighthearted VMS messaging. Many times, whilst stuck in Los Angeles traffic, a clever message on a freeway sign may have been the one thing that saved me from a road rage incident. OK, that's a stretch, but better a bad joke on a sign than a finger-wagging.

Given my rather unflattering view of bureaucrats at any level, I was always surprised to find that there were some with a sense of humor. I wonder if they'll all be fired now.

Athena's post is filled with examples of these highway humor breaks. Looking at them, you would be hard-pressed to find fault with the messages or how they're conveyed, which means you wouldn't be fit for government work.

SamSpade

Feds Are Cracking Down on Humor

The self-righteous, "saving the world" joy suck attitude gets even worse when leftists get into government. The federal bureaucracy can drain the sunshine out of anyone's psyche, and it begins to affect even non-leftists in government after a while. The malaise so afflicts them that they begin looking for ways to mandate their misery.

Athena wrote a story yesterday about the latest bout of federal morosity:

I've long admired lighthearted VMS messaging. Many times, whilst stuck in Los Angeles traffic, a clever message on a freeway sign may have been the one thing that saved me from a road rage incident. OK, that's a stretch, but better a bad joke on a sign than a finger-wagging.

Given my rather unflattering view of bureaucrats at any level, I was always surprised to find that there were some with a sense of humor. I wonder if they'll all be fired now.

Athena's post is filled with examples of these highway humor breaks. Looking at them, you would be hard-pressed to find fault with the messages or how they're conveyed, which means you wouldn't be fit for government work.
Highways can be overful of distractions - signs, billboards and so forth. We already have people barely watching the road while they text, navigate their complicated dashboard screens and - actually watching movies or videos while driving.

Now we're supposed to believe - that with everything else vying for our attention - freeway signs THAT ARE HUMOROUS are distracting, but ones that are NOT humorous, are not.

I can't believe any such research was conducted to prove this - because it's easier to believe the Earth is flat.

DaSDGuy

Highways can be overful of distractions - signs, billboards and so forth. We already have people barely watching the road while they text, navigate their complicated dashboard screens and - actually watching movies or videos while driving.

Now we're supposed to believe - that with everything else vying for our attention - freeway signs THAT ARE HUMOROUS are distracting, but ones that are NOT humorous, are not.

I can't believe any such research was conducted to prove this - because it's easier to believe the Earth is flat.
So we should ignore ALL messages on the VMS boards to avoid being distracted. Got it. I think those speed limit signs are taking my eyes off traffic too so no more looking at them. It will make for interesting testimony in court - "The government told me not to be distracted by looking at signs so I didn't see the speed limit go from 65 MPH to 35 MPH."

Hijinx

I don't think sign are that bothersome, fact is when I go down I-95 I do look at the signs and they keep me from being bored to death.
I-95 appears to be bumper to bumper most days, and the signs do break the monotony a bit.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Public statements by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott made it clear that both laws were aimed at correcting a perceived bias against conservative speech. As they see it, Facebook et al. are using their influence to promote a progressive agenda.

Whitaker nevertheless insisted that content moderation decisions do not communicate any particular message. When platforms enforce their terms of service, he said, they are engaging in "conduct, not speech."

Yet that conduct, like the constitutionally protected decisions of newspapers and parade sponsors, reflects value judgments about which sorts of speech are beyond the pale, which is precisely why DeSantis and Abbott object to it. If platforms are legally barred from discriminating based on "content" or "viewpoint," they cannot exercise those judgments.

Even DeSantis and Abbott might not like the results. If the Texas law takes effect, Clement warned, his clients would be forced either to decree that users must avoid certain subjects altogether or to treat all viewpoints the same, no matter how abhorrent they might be to users and advertisers.

If platforms allowed pro-Jewish speech, for instance, they would have to give anti-Semitism equal prominence. They would be required to take a neutral stance regarding suicide prevention vs. suicide promotion, speech condemning terrorism vs. speech glorifying it, and posts encouraging vs. discouraging dangerous conduct such as bulimia and the "Tide Pod Challenge."

That is probably not a situation that most users would welcome, which is why platforms established content rules to begin with. While people may reasonably object to the specifics of those rules or the way they are enforced, those complaints do not justify using state power to impose different policies.

Given the choices available to people who do not like a particular platform's rules, equating those rules with government censorship is "a category mistake," as Clement observed. Based on that mistake, politicians are perversely arguing that the First Amendment must be sacrificed in order to save it.

Freedom of Speech means ALL Speech ..... let the content consumers curate their own feeds

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

SCOTUS Set to Hear Free Speech Case on Biden Admin Colluding With Big Tech to Stifle 'Misinformation'

Are you ready? Something big is set to start on Monday.

As we wrote in Oct. 2023, the attorneys general of Missouri and Lousiana, along with five plaintiffs, asked the United States Supreme Court to stay the Biden administration from colluding with Big Tech companies in stifling free speech on social media sites by calling it "misinformation." They also argued that the case should be heard in front of the High Court.

My colleague Susie Moore gave us the good news and the bad news:

Now, here's where the bad(ish) news comes in. The court granted certiorari in conjunction with granting the government's request for a stay, meaning that the injunction is placed on hold pending the court's deciding the case on the merits, presumably in June of 2024.[...]
Some good news to report on this frenetic Friday: The United States Supreme Court has granted certiorari in the landmark free speech case of Missouri v. Biden, meaning the high court has agreed to hear the case.[...]
So what does this mean? It means that the case will be heard by the Supreme Court, but the injunction prohibiting the government from coordinating with social media platforms to censor certain speech is on hold until it renders its decision.

somdwatch

You've obviously have seen what our taxpayers dollars have been spent on. Surely they wouldn't have shorted someone from conducting such a study!! 😂

SamSpade

You've obviously have seen what our taxpayers dollars have been spent on.

Oh I have SEEN the stupid-ass things our government has paid for - usually, it's because someone urgently pleads with them to have it funded, and manages to convince them that in the larger picture, it's chump change to pay for. You and I see a million wasted on something stupid, but a Congressman sees, oh that's about 30 seconds' worth of government spending.

But - it is ASKED for - and granted.

Surely they wouldn't have shorted someone from conducting such a study!! 😂
That is the part that - surprises me. One is, government usually doesn't mind SPENDING a little here and there for stupid ass things. As much as we bellyache about waste on thes boondoggles - Golden Fleece awards - foreign aid or even the NASA program - they pale in comparison to a 5% reduction in our entitlements would yield - and a BIG difference compared to the INTEREST we are now paying.

I'm thinking that someone in government DECIDES to reduce paying for something - an event that rarely happens - because they get a complaint from their district. THEN they waste precious resources checking it out.

SamSpade

Yeah Progressives do not think like this
There's been a streak of social media posts where progressives believe that rights are derived from the government and bristle at the thought that they come from GOD - a concept that they fundamentally deny but exploit when the need suits them.

You don't have to believe in God to grasp the idea - humans are BORN with the right to be free. Unless you believe that right and wrong are determined solely by humans and law and government, this should be a simple basic understanding - whether you believe in God or not.

That we have a SCOTUS judge who believes that circumstances may permit the abridgement of rights is shocking to me - because if they can believe and worse, rule on that - your rights can be abridged not just in emergencies -but on a whim.

We put these things in a Constitution SO THAT THEY CAN'T BE DISMISSED easily.

Hijinx

There's been a streak of social media posts where progressives believe that rights are derived from the government and bristle at the thought that they come from GOD - a concept that they fundamentally deny but exploit when the need suits them.

You don't have to believe in God to grasp the idea - humans are BORN with the right to be free. Unless you believe that right and wrong are determined solely by humans and law and government, this should be a simple basic understanding - whether you believe in God or not.

That we have a SCOTUS judge who believes that circumstances may permit the abridgement of rights is shocking to me - because if they can believe and worse, rule on that - your rights can be abridged not just in emergencies -but on a whim.

We put these things in a Constitution SO THAT THEY CAN'T BE DISMISSED easily.
Lately the Constitution has been dismissed pretty often.
We have a right to a speedy trial
We cannot be imprisoned without a trial.

BULLSHT. The are people sitting in jail for 3 years with no trial nor do they know the specific charges brought against them.
To Nancy Pelosi the Constitution is to be torn up just as she did to Trumps SOTU speech.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Progressives WANT TO CONTROL THE NARRATIVE to control the masses

This is why Rush was so HATED ..... rising during the Clinton years, Rush exposed the Clinton Grift, the lies behind proposed Budgets, Programs [ remember Hillary Care ] what ever the Democrats were trying to put forth ... lies about Whitewater, Hillary's Commodity Trading

With Talk Radio the left could no longer control the flow of information reaching public