Fuel Pump

D

dems4me

Airgasm said:
$800.00 to replace a fuel pump? With that type of price, it sounds like your truck uses a fuel pump that is installed in the Gas Tank.

Like the previous advise, take it back. Probably something as simple as a fuel line clamp.

Thanks -- yep, it's inside the tank. Apparently according to the garage guy, GMC is famous for having fuel pumps go bad. It's more rare to NOT have had one replaced than it is to have them replaced.... I hate Chevys!!! :mad: It left me stranded when the fuel pump died in Southeast DC... It stood by its slogan... "like a rock" because I'll be golly that truck was going nowhere.... like a rock.... :mad:

B

baswm

Ken King said:
Or that she says something like, "the needle is in the same place when I go get a fill up".

No, the needle is in the middle. She cant tell if it is half full or half empty :confused:

D

dems4me

baswm said:
No, the needle is in the middle. She cant tell if it is half full or half empty :confused:

:shrug: Actually the needle did break and wasn't working for about a month before the fuel pump died. :shrug: it's fixed now. :dance:

B

baswm

Still, 800 bucks is a lot to drop a fuel tank and replace the gas pump/sending unit. Must be the gold washers they used. Dems, take a look under the truck by the tank and see if you see gas dripping. If it is a simple hose clamp, you may be able to tighten it yourself? or stop by a local formite near you and get them to help.

D

dems4me

baswm said:
or stop by a local formite near you and get them to help.

I'm afraid they'd end up making sure it blows up on me... :frown:

I'll do what I can... Its always dark out when I get home and I have no idea if I can even see the fuel pump from underneath.... let alone what should be wet and what shouldn't.... :frown:

D

dems4me

baswm said:
Still, 800 bucks is a lot to drop a fuel tank and replace the gas pump/sending unit. Must be the gold washers they used. Dems, take a look under the truck by the tank and see if you see gas dripping. If it is a simple hose clamp, you may be able to tighten it yourself? or stop by a local formite near you and get them to help.

800.00 is a lot to drop on anything... also bear in mind that didn't include towing expenses and it was hard finding a tow company that would even drive into southeast and then back to MD. :frown: And then exactly a week later is when I got a speeding ticket (fuel pump worked) for $525.00. :frown:

but things could always have been worse :yay:

Pete

Repete
baswm said:
Still, 800 bucks is a lot to drop a fuel tank and replace the gas pump/sending unit. Must be the gold washers they used.
That is about right. The sending unit and pump are one unit and cost about $650 from the dealer.

D

dems4me

Pete said:
That is about right. The sending unit and pump are one unit and cost about $650 from the dealer.

The part I think was only about 250... it was the labor because they had to go inside the fuel tank to fix it. :ohwell:

D

dems4me

baswm said:

I'm not sure about the warranty know... it was repaired October 18th and it's been more than 30 days. :frown:

D

dems4me

The more I think of this the more I think there indeed is a leak.... 1)smell and 2) it's been having a difficult time starting - instead of starting right up with a quick turn of the key, I have to keep it on the start position and listen to it sputer for about 10 seconds before it's got the gas to start.
Thanks for all of y'all's suggestions :huggy: :cheers:

B

baswm

dems4me said:
I'm afraid they'd end up making sure it blows up on me... :frown:

I'll do what I can... Its always dark out when I get home and I have no idea if I can even see the fuel pump from underneath.... let alone what should be wet and what shouldn't.... :frown:

You will not be able to see the fuel pump. It is INSIDE the tank. One of the gas lines going to the tank could be lose at the tank end and sucking air along with gas. The mechanic should do a fuel pressure test to see how much pressure is present.

Where do you live at Dems? Near Hughsville I am guessing from other posts.

Also HOW FAST were you going to get such an expensive ticket?

D

dems4me

baswm said:
You will not be able to see the fuel pump. It is INSIDE the tank. One of the gas lines going to the tank could be lose at the tank end and sucking air along with gas. The mechanic should do a fuel pressure test to see how much pressure is present.

Where do you live at Dems? Near Hughsville I am guessing from other posts.

Also HOW FAST were you going to get such an expensive ticket?

as for the ticket there's a thread on the forums about that already... it was 70 in a 30 (so he says...:ohwell:) 5 points on the license.

When I check for the leak should I have the truck running? Should someone be depressing the gas pedal?

B

baswm

maybe with truck running just at idle. Look for moisture (gas) along the lines. Maybe hard to do in this wet weather. Use a flash light to see with and not the ole match test. :lol:

D

dems4me

baswm said:
maybe with truck running just at idle. Look for moisture (gas) along the lines. Maybe hard to do in this wet weather. Use a flash light to see with and not the ole match test. :lol:

good idea, I might have used a lighter... :lol:

D

dems4me

aps45819 said:
The more i read her posts, the harder it is to believe she actually exists.

:bawl: I was just joking because I accidentally created a gaseous explosion on the grill about a month ago... :frown:

Pete

Repete
dems4me said:
:bawl: I was just joking because I accidentally created a gaseous explosion on the grill about a month ago... :frown:
I thought you didn't have a grill. That is why you were boiling ribeyes. :ohwell:

D

dems4me

Pete said:
I thought you didn't have a grill. That is why you were boiling ribeyes. :ohwell:

I was steaming them... not boiling them... :mad: There's a difference :mad: not much but there is. :mad:

I don't share everything in my life on the forums but just so you can get your chuckle for the day... about a month or so ago, I had some friends over and decided to whip up some hotdogs, burgers lots of :cheers: and lots of :drunk: on my part and others ... I went to get the grill going and realized I didn't have any lighter fluid... I tried using sticks and leaves to get a fire going... paper, anything... even used bacon grease because I know that is flamable to know avail. So then I decide to take a looksie in the basement and what have we in there? My roommate's unused propane cans for ligthing a campstove. I figure ... now THAT will get things going... I take out the can, cut off the top so that I can physically squeeze it all out of the can... about 3/4th of the can later my fingers were starting to freeze, get real cold and about numb. I tossed in the lit match over these now ready coals and KABOOM there's was this big explosion and all I saw was white!!! everywhere for a second or two!! then I realized my hair was on fire on the right side, and the hair on my arm was burnt off (up to the point where it then travelled up my sweater) and into my hair.... I have learned that there is no substitution for lighter fluid and am afraid of the grill. :frown: Dumb grill.... :mad: