Generator recommendations...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
5500 Watt Portable Generator - Generators - Troy Bilt

Currently have this one. Go to Lowes and price them. Comes with a 220 plug, but you'll have to get something to adapt to where you're plugging it into. Recommend you see what you want to run with it and go from there, and get an adapter kit for the plug in. You won't be able to run heat pumps, but it will run an air con window unit. Don't try to run your deep well pump off of it unless you want to take the chance on burning it up and replacing it. From everything I've read, portable generators might not operate at the exact voltage and freqs required by a deep well pump. I run my frig, freezer, some lights, TV, etc. off of it and not all at once. In the summer, I used it when we had the hurricane come through and had a window air con unit on it as well. Never really loaded it down to see what it could do.

Need to know how deep it is.

100' should be OK. Anything over that and voltage drop comes into play; bad mojo.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Ok, scratch the troy built. No voltage regulation. Centurian has voltage regulation. :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Actually, no... if they had a type 'Z' personality, that would be me.....

I'm listening... :popcorn:

I would not be happy having saved a few hundred bucks, need to alternate what is plugged in, end up with a 24-48 hour outage and then lose $300 worth of groceries because, for whatever reason, it didn't get alternated.

I have a 'you get what you pay for' personality. :lol:

Vince

Need to know how deep it is.

100' should be OK. Anything over that and voltage drop comes into play; bad mojo.
100' is a fairly shallow well. Mine runs down about 400'. I would definitely hate to have to pull that deep well pump and replace it. :banghead: But then during a drought, I don't run out of water. My neighbor had a shallow well at about 50' and during summers with no rain, he would run out of water. The well would get so low he'd have to wait for the level to come back up.

Not exactly kosher, but this is what I do: I turn off the main breaker. Then I turn off all the other breakers. Plug the generator into an outdoor 20A outlet with a short adapter cord. Turn on that breaker, then turn on only the other breakers required (all 220v stay off). And since a single 110V breaker is only on one buss in the breaker panel, only lines on breakers on the same buss will work, unless you get creative and move some breakers in the panel.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
100' is a fairly shallow well. Mine runs down about 400'. I would definitely hate to have to pull that deep well pump and replace it. :banghead: But then during a drought, I don't run out of water. My neighbor had a shallow well at about 50' and during summers with no rain, he would run out of water. The well would get so low he'd have to wait for the level to come back up.

It is good you brought the point up.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not exactly kosher, but this is what I do: I turn off the main breaker. Then I turn off all the other breakers. Plug the generator into an outdoor 20A outlet with a short adapter cord. Turn on that breaker, then turn on only the other breakers required (all 220v stay off). And since a single 110V breaker is only on one buss in the breaker panel, only lines on breakers on the same buss will work, unless you get creative and move some breakers in the panel.

:buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

My dad put in a 50a/2 pole plug in the garage for that very reason. He can run ANYTHING he wants. Just can't run EVERYTHING he wants.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
That's why I am going to back feed through the dryer. I'll get the full 240V.

My dad put in a 50a/2 pole plug in the garage for that very reason. He can run ANYTHING he wants. Just can't run EVERYTHING he wants.

That's why I am going to back feed through the dryer. I'll get the full 240V.

Exactly what I'd do if I had a 220v genny. We wired my Dad's house with a spare 220v outlet just under the breaker panel for just that reason.

NTNG

I bought a 10K Generac portable right after Isabel in '93. I also had a switching panel put in, 12 "survival" circuits. Lights, fans, well pump, freezer, oven, microwave. SMECO goes down, I start genny, throw the switch, and power routes thru it. When SMECO comes back on line, it switches to the main. While putting in a 220v outlet might be cheaper and perhaps easier, my concern was if "something" went wrong, what would homeowners insurance company do? Last thing I want to find out is that because I did an installation that was being used in the manner you describe, that they say " so sorry" if there is a problem. So I used a licensed electrician, and put in the switching panel.

I'm just sayin'....

Whups... Ok, so I lied.... But at least it's another source of info.

In reading one of the reviews, someone mentioned that Honda generators have an auto-idle state when there is no load. Maybe something to look for.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Whups... Ok, so I lied.... But at least it's another source of info.

In reading one of the reviews, someone mentioned that Honda generators have an auto-idle state when there is no load. Maybe something to look for.
No you were correct. That's why I deleted my post. :lmao: Looks like HD has better prices than Lowes but the one in Waldorf SUX.

No you were correct. That's why I deleted my post. :lmao: Looks like HD has better prices than Lowes but the one in Waldorf SUX.

I mail-ordered a snow thrower from HD this winter. Shipped free to the house, didn't have to deal with the store or driving to Waldorf.

Vince

I mail-ordered a snow thrower from HD this winter. Shipped free to the house, didn't have to deal with the store or driving to Waldorf.
What snow blower did you get? Thinking about getting one for this winter.