Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
X-ray Solar Flares
6-hr max: X2 0913 UT May09
24-hr: X2 0913 UT May09
explanation | more data
Updated: Today at: 1150 UT

GEOMAGNETIC STORM WATCH--UPGRADED: This weekend's geomagnetic storm watch has been upgraded from G2 (Moderate) to G3 (Strong). Why? Because giant sunspot AR3664 keeps hurling CMEs toward Earth. There are now at least 3 storm clouds heading our way. See how many you can count in this 24-hour movie from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory:

A NOAA forecast model predicts the first CME will reach Earth late on May 10th. Additional CMEs will arrive on May 11th and possibly 12th. Minor to strong geomagnetic storms could occur on all three days, with auroras potentially visible at mid-latitudes in Europe and the USA.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
ARE WE ABOUT TO EXPERIENCE A NEW CARRINGTON EVENT? No. AR3664 is indeed a 'Carrington-class' sunspot, but the CMEs it hurled toward Earth over the past few days are not as potent as the monster CME of Sept. 1, 1859. NOAA says we might experience a severe geomagnetic storm when the CMEs arrive this weekend. If geomagnetic storms were hurricanes, 'severe' would be category 4. The Carrington Event was category 5 or greater. So this is no Carrington Event. Even so, category 4 is pretty intense--if it happens. Stay tuned for some great auroras! Aurora alerts: SMS Text

FIVE CMEs ARE HEADING FOR EARTH:
Great sunspot AR3664 has hurled an astonishing five CMEs toward Earth. They're all in this frenetic 2-day coronagraph movie from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO):

The Cannibal CME is expected to arrive on May 11th. It alone could spark a strong (G3) geomagnetic storm. With two more CMEs following close behind, storm levels could become extreme (G4), sparking auroras at mid- to low-latitudes across Europe and the USA.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
They're talking about this over on a solar power forum. 2 interesting thoughts/notes: Some reports of being able to see an aurora as far south as Louisiana, not sure that's real but I'm going to keep an eye out. The other is... Space-X Starlink satellites. Are they robust enough to handle a CME of this power?

Hessian

I learnt something! Thanks Sneaks!:yahoo:
Ben Davidson has been WAY ahead of the curve and on top of Solar weather for years. He is articulate, objective, and doesn't sugar coat the problems that most people remain unaware of.
While politicians are planning to "GREEN POLICY" everything...the magnetic pole shift and sun activity will negate ALL of preposterous dictates of the Left.
It is very unsettling what happen in the next 30 years.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Isn't it supposed to be cloudy all weekend?
Won't affect the CME event at all, only the ability to see auroras.

I'm thinking I might head down to the storage unit and bring back a generator. Just in case. If the power goes out... how do you get thru the storage unit electric gates?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Won't affect the CME event at all, only the ability to see auroras.

I'm thinking I might head down to the storage unit and bring back a generator. Just in case. If the power goes out... how do you get thru the storage unit electric gates?
I don't understand what all that stuff means, but I want to see the auroras.

jrt_ms1995

Anthropogenic solar climate change! All the result of centuries of burning fossil fuels!! If only we had known! Where was our prophet in the wilderness ... oh, never mind, Al Gore was there. Had we only listened!
DOOM!
Doom.
doom
doom
doom

PJay

They're talking about this over on a solar power forum. 2 interesting thoughts/notes: Some reports of being able to see an aurora as far south as Louisiana, not sure that's real but I'm going to keep an eye out. The other is... Space-X Starlink satellites. Are they robust enough to handle a CME of this power?
Hoping so 🤞

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

With our weakening magnetosphere, down about 25%, or more by now, with all that energy, magnetism and plasma, wouldn't it be cool to see those auroras in south Florida? And, also, most of that energy hitting the earth, will travel the magnetic field and be directed, through induction, to the center of the earth that could, most likely will, increase the heat of earth's core causing lots of volcanic activity. Satellites in low earth orbit, such as those Starlinks and others, may experience an increase in drag due to the heating of the lower atmosphere, which may, possibly could, cause those satellites to leave their orbits to come back home unscheduled. Just as it happened before when 40 Starlink satellites came back home during a CME, er, a geomagnetic storm, after a launch in 2022.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My daughter that lives in Dublin Ireland has been sending us some absolutely amazing pictures she's been taking this evening from her apartment balcony. I've seen the northern lights many times when I'm in Norway, but they are always a greenish to yellow color...my daughter captured many that were glowing almost a magenta color. Stunning pictures even though only her cell phone camera.

441301178_361030870284215_5756771377225559532_n.jpg

Hessian

JMHO...Being Red-Green colorblind...makes Northern lights little different than the glow above a Walmart parking lot.