Getting ordained to perform a wedding ceremony

justin

I need to get ordained in order to perform a wedding ceremony. I am looking for any input from those that have or knows someone that has done this in the state of Maryland and who did you/they use to get ordained. Thanks for the help.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I think you can do it online. I think Slotted did that, but he hasn't been here in a long time.

acommondisaster

I need to get ordained in order to perform a wedding ceremony. I am looking for any input from those that have or knows someone that has done this in the state of Maryland and who did you/they use to get ordained. Thanks for the help.

You don't have to be an ordained minister to perform a wedding in Maryland. "In Maryland, any adult can sign as clergy, as long as the couple who are getting married agree that he is a clergy. The celebrant doesn't have to be a resident, register in advance, or fulfil any other requirements. " http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/officiants_requirements/

I'd always thought you needed to be a notary public to perform a wedding, but it appears not. I know when my son was looking for an officiant, the person they selected made a point of saying they were "ordained" and that not all are. Personally, I'd give the courthouse a call in the county where you're going to be doing the wedding to get the real skinny. :) Have fun!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
You don't have to be an ordained minister to perform a wedding in Maryland. "In Maryland, any adult can sign as clergy, as long as the couple who are getting married agree that he is a clergy. The celebrant doesn't have to be a resident, register in advance, or fulfil any other requirements. " http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/officiants_requirements/

I'd always thought you needed to be a notary public to perform a wedding, but it appears not. I know when my son was looking for an officiant, the person they selected made a point of saying they were "ordained" and that not all are. Personally, I'd give the courthouse a call in the county where you're going to be doing the wedding to get the real skinny. :) Have fun!
That seems contrary to the law. See Md. FAMILY LAW Code Ann. § 2-406
A marriage ceremony may be performed in this State by:
(i) any official of a religious order or body authorized by the rules and customs of that order or body to perform a marriage ceremony;
(ii) any clerk;
(iii) any deputy clerk designated by the county administrative judge of the circuit court for the county; or
(iv) a judge.

acommondisaster

That seems contrary to the law. See Md. FAMILY LAW Code Ann. § 2-406

I think this is the hair splitting:
any official of a religious order or body authorized by the rules and customs of that order or body to perform a marriage ceremony

In Maryland, any adult can sign as clergy, as long as the couple who are getting married agree that he is a clergy.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I think this is the hair splitting:
any official of a religious order or body authorized by the rules and customs of that order or body to perform a marriage ceremony

In Maryland, any adult can sign as clergy, as long as the couple who are getting married agree that he is a clergy.

Hair splitting? That is what you are doing. The clear text of the law does not say any adult can sign, it lists specific persons that are authorized, not those that you want it to be.