Girl Dinner

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I keep seeing these shorts (ok, tiktoks) celebrating the "Girl Dinner" concept, and honestly I'm glad to have a term for the so-called-dinners I used to throw together of nothing and everything all at once. Snacks for meals - random fridge ingredients - minimal effort at best. Sometimes I look forward to my husband going on travel just so I can take a break from the effort of THINKING of a meal. Because that's the point, not thinking or preparing for it at all.

I also find it funny that now the phrase has been coined, the concept completely baffles men and they're already trying to mansplain it back to us. My husband insists it's just leftovers - NOPE. That's leftovers of meals I've already thought of and made - different genre. I've seen several male chefs start off a short saying "I got a great Girl Dinner recipe for you" and immediately start chopping something or break out a pan -- NNNOPE!! The point of a Girl Dinner is to NOT make a dinner, so while I appreciate their quick little one-pan meal, that's not the point. MIN-I-MAL-EFF-ORT - Plate of snacks - NO COOKING - NO CLEANING - Assorted fridge and pantry grabs!

I love and miss my Girl Dinners and have certainly gotten caught up in the role of providing 2-3 balanced meals for my family every day (leftovers included, I'm not a robot). @vraiblonde and @RoseRed I think of you often eating your Girl Dinners in the Dinner Threads :cheers: you know what I'm talking about. When my best friend and I lived together, every Sunday we'd eat chips and guacamole throughout the afternoon then around 6pm we'd side-eye one another and do that "are you hungry?" "nah not really, are you?" "nope..." and go back to show/movie. A plate with random fancy-sounding cheese we grabbed from Aldi and a sleeve of crackers. Some leftover veggies and dip, but also a dunkaroos packet. An apple with peanut butter plus some cookies. My ultimate favorite: a tortilla covered in shredded cheese and rolled up. Chef's kiss. It could be anything.

So what's your favorite Girl Dinners?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I keep seeing these shorts (ok, tiktoks) celebrating the "Girl Dinner" concept, and honestly I'm glad to have a term for the so-called-dinners I used to throw together of nothing and everything all at once. Snacks for meals - random fridge ingredients - minimal effort at best. Sometimes I look forward to my husband going on travel just so I can take a break from the effort of THINKING of a meal. Because that's the point, not thinking or preparing for it at all.

I also find it funny that now the phrase has been coined, the concept completely baffles men and they're already trying to mansplain it back to us. My husband insists it's just leftovers - NOPE. That's leftovers of meals I've already thought of and made - different genre. I've seen several male chefs start off a short saying "I got a great Girl Dinner recipe for you" and immediately start chopping something or break out a pan -- NNNOPE!! The point of a Girl Dinner is to NOT make a dinner, so while I appreciate their quick little one-pan meal, that's not the point. MIN-I-MAL-EFF-ORT - Plate of snacks - NO COOKING - NO CLEANING - Assorted fridge and pantry grabs!

I love and miss my Girl Dinners and have certainly gotten caught up in the role of providing 2-3 balanced meals for my family every day (leftovers included, I'm not a robot). @vraiblonde and @RoseRed I think of you often eating your Girl Dinners in the Dinner Threads :cheers: you know what I'm talking about. When my best friend and I lived together, every Sunday we'd eat chips and guacamole throughout the afternoon then around 6pm we'd side-eye one another and do that "are you hungry?" "nah not really, are you?" "nope..." and go back to show/movie. A plate with random fancy-sounding cheese we grabbed from Aldi and a sleeve of crackers. Some leftover veggies and dip, but also a dunkaroos packet. An apple with peanut butter plus some cookies. My ultimate favorite: a tortilla covered in shredded cheese and rolled up. Chef's kiss. It could be anything.

Potato chips and onion dip (the Lipton soup mix)! But alas, I hardly ever do that because I'd be big as a house! Red, yellow or orange bell peppers and chunky Bleu Cheese dressing. Cheese and crackers. A whole container of blueberries. :lol:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I usually dig in to our snack shelf and grab a robust handful of caramel popcorn mixed with cheese popcorn, a chili-spiced dill pickle, some pepperoni, a couple of string cheese sticks, and some grapes.

And agree, nothing that you need to "fix" or cook ....just grab and go works great for me.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
ramen.jpg

I put the block of noodles in a dolsot bowl with the seasonings and water, throw it in the microwave for 10 minutes - boom. Dinner.

Also popcorn or just a grilled steak with nothing else. Last night I had bougie pop tarts for dinner. One of my favorite meals is cacio e pepe, which sounds fancy but is just spaghetti noodles with butter or olive oil, then tossed with grated parmesan cheese and lots of coarse black pepper. If I have salami I'll julienne it and throw that in too.

Technically it's still cooking, but only takes a few minutes and doesn't dirty enough things that I have to wash dishes afterward.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I ❤️ a girl dinner. Lately I've been addicted to Ritz crackers, so I usually just slap some cream cheese or PB on them and add whatever I have around to the plate. Last night I made a smoothie. I guess it's my reward for making dinner for over 30 years. Happiness is never having to hear someone ask, "what's for dinner"? :lmao:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Happiness is never having to hear someone ask, "what's for dinner"? :lmao:
I keep a Meals of the Week type of chart in the kitchen for this very reason as those words are an immediate trigger for me...but I still have to sit down once a week and think of things to put on it :lmao: its never ending.

phreddyp

A redhead about 25.

CPUSA

WTH??
Ya'll can't even be bothered to make your OWN selves sammiches nowadays?...Sheesh!!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Lunch today: two leftover chicken wings, some chili-marinated German pickles and a handful of grapes.

Dinner tonight: roasted pork tenderloin and real mashed potatoes.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
@vraiblonde and @RoseRed I think of you often eating your Girl Dinners in the Dinner Threads :cheers: you know what I'm talking about. When my best friend and I lived together, every Sunday we'd eat chips and guacamole throughout the afternoon then around 6pm we'd side-eye one another and do that "are you hungry?" "nah not really, are you?" "nope..." and go back to show/movie. A plate with random fancy-sounding cheese we grabbed from Aldi and a sleeve of crackers. Some leftover veggies and dip, but also a dunkaroos packet. An apple with peanut butter plus some cookies. My ultimate favorite: a tortilla covered in shredded cheese and rolled up. Chef's kiss. It could be anything.

I buy a "healthy" tortilla chip by Late July that are whole grain and have seeds in them, (they are stamped whole grain on the bag!) and I will throw some of those onto a plate with shredded cheese and possibly chopped jalapenos and nuke them - viola! Instant cheese nachos that I'll eat with my favorite chunky, medium salsa.

OR, I'll take pepperoni, and/or salami , some cheese (whatever types I happen to have) with maybe some bread & butter pickles, along with crackers, grapes.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I keep a Meals of the Week type of chart in the kitchen for this very reason as those words are an immediate trigger for me...but I still have to sit down once a week and think of things to put on it :lmao: its never ending.
Not to mention having to make the dreaded grocery list and actually do the shopping :dead: When my son was a teenager, he would swing the garage door open as soon as I pulled in from work and say those hateful words. Even if I knew what I was going to make I wanted to :smack:him :lol: