Girls only party

puggymom

When it is OK to have a single sex birthday party? My daughter is turning 4 and wants an Alice in Wonderland themed cake for her birthday.

So I thought about having a Princess Tea Party where she could be dressed as Alice and her friends could each borrow and wear one of her other princess dresses (or their own whatever they felt comfortable). So of course for this I would only invite the girls from her preschool (and dance class but those are all girls anyway).
I feel kind of bad leaving the boys out so I guess I am wondering if I should go with this or have it at one of the fun center places where I can invite everyone?

puggymom

Because I have never done the birthday party thing before so I am not sure of the etiquette.

Would the boys want to come to something like that?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She can have a girls only party at any age she (and you) want. :shrug:

But it would be fun to have the little boys dress up as the Mad Hatter, Dormouse, Cheshire Cat, Tweedledee, etc. :yay:

tyky

eieio
Because I have never done the birthday party thing before so I am not sure of the etiquette.

Would the boys want to come to something like that?

Invite them and on the invite write wear your prettiest princess dress! At least it will weed out the ones she probably shouldn't date in the future:killingme

pebbles

I personally can't afford to invite the whole class on top of our friends & family's kids. So we do girls only quite a bit. She's 7 now. We don't even invite all the girls from the class. Neat idea you have though.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
When it is OK to have a single sex birthday party?

Any time, if that's what your daughter wants. Or, invite the boys and have them dress up as princes. Or, don't dress up and just have games and prizes, cake and ice cream at home. If it's warm enough they could play outdoors and have a ball. You don't have to invite the entire class unless your daughter wants to. Just don't hand out the invites at school unless there's one for everyone.

vbailey

vbailey
When it is OK to have a single sex birthday party? My daughter is turning 4 and wants an Alice in Wonderland themed cake for her birthday.

So I thought about having a Princess Tea Party where she could be dressed as Alice and her friends could each borrow and wear one of her other princess dresses (or their own whatever they felt comfortable). So of course for this I would only invite the girls from her preschool (and dance class but those are all girls anyway).
I feel kind of bad leaving the boys out so I guess I am wondering if I should go with this or have it at one of the fun center places where I can invite everyone?

I would send cup cakes to her class for all the children and then only invite a few girls for the tea party thing....it sounds so cute....that way the boys can be a part of it in the class room....they will not want to go to a tea party anyway so they will not feel left out....

caramelalb

I would do the fun center. Have your daughter dress up. Do you really want to "entertain" that many kids in your home? What kind of entertainment would you have?

By boys I assume you mean siblings. Otherwise, too bad, so sad. If indeed siblings, all they care about is that they get cake and ice cream, so warn them to stay away from the pink horde and bring them in for C & I.C. and they'll be happy. That's what we did for #1 daughter's birthday party this year. I even borrowed a pair of tails and played waiter for her tea party. Girls had fun. That was all that mattered. I say go for it.

BTW, dark chocolate ice cream does not smell good when puked up onto a Cinderella party dress.

caramelalb

Most parties which include "schoolfriends" at that age include the whole class according to my sister who teaches PreK. How would she feel if the boys had a party and invited just the ones who invited them to parties had one and left your daughter out. Do the fun center for all then if you want the princess party let her have the girls over. Enteratining 4 year old can be a really big task and they get bored very easily. And V's right. Puke doesn't go well on a princess dress.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
By boys I assume you mean siblings. Otherwise, too bad, so sad. If indeed siblings, all they care about is that they get cake and ice cream, so warn them to stay away from the pink horde and bring them in for C & I.C. and they'll be happy. That's what we did for #1 daughter's birthday party this year. I even borrowed a pair of tails and played waiter for her tea party. Girls had fun. That was all that mattered. I say go for it.

BTW, dark chocolate ice cream does not smell good when puked up onto a Cinderella party dress.
Read closer...not siblings, she's debating if she can just invite a few friends from her class or if she is obliged to invite the entire class.

...all girl party or not, you are entitled to discretely invite or exclude anyone you want....most people can't afford or tolerate 20-30 kids at a party and those who for whatever reason feel they should invite the whole class or none at all are secretly hoping that most of them don't show up....seems hypocritical to me to invite people that you (and probably your child) don't really want there anyway.

OH, and it was a Sleeping Beauty dress....pink and chocolate....I almost :barf: too.

W

WildCherry

We did a "Princess Party" for my daughter one year and my neice came over and made them up pretty and they had tiera's on and we did professional type photographs of them with a back drop and boa's and everything. My oldest cat even got in on the action! :lmao:

cgwife

I did a "princess tea party" for my daughter's 5th birthday. Boys came as well and when we did the tea party, they had mugs and made Rootbeer Floats! It was a big hit! They all LOVED it! Good luck!

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Personally I think you (or your child) should be able to invite whomever they (or you) want. I never make my kids invite someone (related or not) just because.