Glass cook top

devenny99

Has any one had a glass cook top crack on them and what did you do about it? I've had my stove for 9 years so there's probably nothing I can do about it now but would like to hear anyone's experience with this problem. Can you buy just the cook top or do you have to buy a whole new stove?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Don't have one, but I've heard they can crack. I understand it's several hundred dollars to replace the top, depending on the stove. You can check the manufacturers website to see how much the part costs. Then you have to decide if you are handy enough to do it yourself or if you need to pay someone. May or may not be worth it for a 9 year old stove. :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ick on a stick.

I have one of those terrible cooktops and I hate it with a pure and burning hatred.

You can indeed buy just the cooktop, but why bother when, for a few extra $$$ more, you can get a normal cooktop like reasonable people have? And a few extra $$ more than that, you can have gas cooking like God intended?

Wish my cooktop would break. :ohwell:

B

Beth_kennedy

Ick on a stick.

I have one of those terrible cooktops and I hate it with a pure and burning hatred.

You can indeed buy just the cooktop, but why bother when, for a few extra $$$ more, you can get a normal cooktop like reasonable people have? And a few extra $$ more than that, you can have gas cooking like God intended?

Wish my cooktop would break. :ohwell:

Agreed! I had one and hated it...HATED it....

We now have a gas stove and it is the best...would never go back

wineo

loving life
Has any one had a glass cook top crack on them and what did you do about it? I've had my stove for 9 years so there's probably nothing I can do about it now but would like to hear anyone's experience with this problem. Can you buy just the cook top or do you have to buy a whole new stove?

I have a really nice white electric self cleaning oven/stove for 100.00:whistle:. Only 4 years old, need to get it out of my family's garage:nomoney:. Replaced all the burners last year.

tyky

eieio
I just got a cook top stove put in my new house, which isn't quite finished being built yet so I haven't used it and I have never used one so what is so bad about it? I liked the way they looked and I am tired of my electric one that is un-level and everything slides to the center

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
so what is so bad about it?

My biggest complaint is that I can't use my cast iron skillet on it because it scratches. After that, they are reasonably comparable to traditional electric burners, but I still prefer gas.

That's on my list of things to spend $$$ on: gas stove and a proper hood vent.

My biggest complaint is that I can't use my cast iron skillet on it because it scratches. After that, they are reasonably comparable to traditional electric burners, but I still prefer gas.

I ripped my electric cooktop out about 2 years ago. Couldn't stand it anymore. Found a nice gas cooktop, but it's glass as well for real easy cleaning. The burners are cut thru the glass. I wanted to put in a new countertop. Well, of course, I realized that I needed new cabinets first, and don't want to run the new gas line in before that, and I haven't gotten a round tuit, so I have a brand new gas cooktop in the old electric cooktop hole, not hooked up, no new cabinets or countertop, and since I needed to cook, I have my Coleman camp stop on a board on top of the gas cooktop. I feel like a real redneck.....

B

Beth_kennedy

I just got a cook top stove put in my new house, which isn't quite finished being built yet so I haven't used it and I have never used one so what is so bad about it? I liked the way they looked and I am tired of my electric one that is un-level and everything slides to the center

After a while no matter how much you scrub the outline is burned in and cracks...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I ripped my electric cooktop out about 2 years ago. Couldn't stand it anymore. Found a nice gas cooktop, but it's glass as well for real easy cleaning. The burners are cut thru the glass. I wanted to put in a new countertop. Well, of course, I realized that I needed new cabinets first, and don't want to run the new gas line in before that, and I haven't gotten a round tuit, so I have a brand new gas cooktop in the old electric cooktop hole, not hooked up, no new cabinets or countertop, and since I needed to cook, I have my Coleman camp stop on a board on top of the gas cooktop. I feel like a real redneck.....

:lol:

I have a whole list of projects to spend time and money on. :jameo:

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv

Vrai, if you clean spill overs the way the manufacturer says (razor blade then with glass cookstove cleaner) it shouldn't be scratching. I'm willing to guess it needs the coating (or several coats) of the glasstop cleaner.

I love my glass cooktop. It's 6 years old and the glass still shines like the day I bought it. And I use my cast iron skillets almost daily on it.

:killingme:killingme Your too too much silly man.

Abby_

A friend of mine's husband dropped a large pan on their glass cooktop and it cracked. They got an estimate for more than it would cost to just replace the stove. New cooktop installed was $900+ and new stove was $700+, so the decision was easy.

B

Beth_kennedy

Vrai, if you clean spill overs the way the manufacturer says (razor blade then with glass cookstove cleaner) it shouldn't be scratching. I'm willing to guess it needs the coating (or several coats) of the glasstop cleaner.

I love my glass cooktop. It's 6 years old and the glass still shines like the day I bought it. And I use my cast iron skillets almost daily on it.

:killingme:killingme Your too too much silly man.

Been there done that, and still after time it just did not do any good and FADED spots drove me crazy, despite the fact that I never used water on the stove top.

Last edited by a moderator:

princess73

just one of those days...
I love my glasstop stove. My mom's cracked and she had the glass replaced. But with a stove that old you may be better off replacing the stove.