Goodbye, Computer

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Dropped my laptop, really messed with the poor thing's brains. It is 15 yrs old, so made the decision to just replace it.

I've gotten everything I want off of it. Now what? How do I wipe it so it can't be recovered before I take it to the transfer station and deposit it in the electronics box?

And I'm not super savy with this stuff, so make it simple. Is a sledge hammer my best bet?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Dropped my laptop, really messed with the poor thing's brains. It is 15 yrs old, so made the decision to just replace it.

I've gotten everything I want off of it. Now what? How do I wipe it so it can't be recovered before I take it to the transfer station and deposit it in the electronics box?

And I'm not super savy with this stuff, so make it simple. Is a sledge hammer my best bet?
If it were mine, I'd take out the hard drive, close it all back up, and run a drill bit through the Hard Drive about a dozen times for good measure.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
That's what I do, take them out, make it an external HD, get all the files you want off of it, format it and use it as a backup drive.
Not this model, but I use a HD Dock for that.

Grumpy

Hook it up with a USB cord?
IMG_1333.jpg

PeoplesElbow

I run a security program that will over write the drive with 1's and 0's a minimum of 3x, then smash it with a sledgehammer. That is if its a magnetic drive. Solid state drives get a torch taken to them.

Tried to run one through a degausser but it just stopped under the magnetic field and shook while the belt continued moving.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I run a security program that will over write the drive with 1's and 0's a minimum of 3x, then smash it with a sledgehammer.

Used to have a program like that in the 90s.

It had a setting for what it called "Government Wipe."

Did the 0/1 bit flip three cycles and then wrote every sector with a random character.