Google Wallet, first transaction, liking it

glhs837

Power with Control
I suppose you are not understanding what I am saying. To register a new phone the only thing I had to do was enter my google account info into it, if I had previously registered for google wallet I suppose I would be able to use it immediately after that? I am not talking geting info from a retailer I am talking individual targeting. Most people use the same user names/passwords for many things since there are so many passwords etc to remember these days.

Right, but you can't have two phones with the same Google account, I don't think. And the initial setup of Goggle Wallet requires a PIN. So, were I to get your Google account login name and password, and also got your PIN, well, you are most likely to blame for not keeping your stuff tight.

I suppose you are not understanding what I am saying. To register a new phone the only thing I had to do was enter my google account info into it, if I had previously registered for google wallet I suppose I would be able to use it immediately after that? I am not talking geting info from a retailer I am talking individual targeting. Most people use the same user names/passwords for many things since there are so many passwords etc to remember these days.

Sorry, I was responding to address the concern you referred to relating to people being able to get into your Apple or Google account. However, in responding I went into other stuff that you hadn't asked about.

Anyway, I'm not as confident in my awareness of the details of how Google Wallet works, in part because I'm not as rigorous in keeping up with all things Google, and in particular with changes in how Google Wallet works. So I can't say with confidence whether what you're suggesting here should be a concern when it comes to Google Wallet. I would think you could, at least, set up your Google account for multi-step verification such that someone couldn't use a new device to log into your account and thus be able to use your Google Wallet account. It would surprise me if that wasn't the case.

When it comes to Apple Pay, however, I can speak with a fair bit of confidence. First, you can set up your Apple account as I just suggested such that no one can log into it from a new device without, for instance, getting permission from you from an existing device. Beyond that, when it comes to Apple Pay, it wouldn't matter if they could set up a new device to use your Apple account. The account itself does not have the credit card information. You have to add particular cards to each device you use Apple Pay from in order for those cards to work from those devices. (There's an exception to this when it comes to having a credit card linked to your iTunes account, but I don't use a credit card for my iTunes account - and, anyway, you'd still be protected by the multi-step verification requirement). And when you try to add a credit card to a device, the issuing banks have their own procedures for verifying that it is actually you adding that card to a device. That aspect of the situation is on them (the issuing banks), but, at any rate, the card information is never in your account such that getting access to your account could give someone access to it or to use it through Apple Pay. If someone logs into your account from a different phone, Apple Pay doesn't work until they activate a given credit card through that different phone - so they'd need to otherwise have your credit card info.

Now, to be clear, if someone does otherwise get your credit card info, and they can do a little social engineering or whatever is needed to verify to the issuing bank that they are you, then they can add your credit card to their Apple Pay. But that's not a problem created by you using Apple Pay, it exists regardless. And it isn't a newly created problem, it's always been the case that if someone had your credit card info they could possibly use it to make purchases. If someone steals your credit card, e.g., that's a problem. If they get your account info, that's a problem. Apple Pay and Google Wallet don't fix all of the existing problems, but they do fix - or at least help with - some of them. This particular problem is one more reason to use something like Apple Pay because doing so creates fewer opportunities for someone to steal your credit card information. And, like I said before, once I have a credit card attached to Apple Pay on a particular device, I immediately get an alert whenever that credit card is used for something - so I'd know, in real time, that someone had somehow gotten my info and was using it.

I hope all that makes sense, sometimes I confuse even myself. :smile:

Last edited: