Got this off the Baynet

foodcritic

Is it just me or do you think the school system sounds like they are whinning? We all have to curb our spending and sacrifice in our own budgets why shouldn't they. They were probably over spending for many years. Opinions.

Balancing a Budget on a Wing and a Prayer
ST. MARY'S COUNTY - 2/2/2009

Printer friendly

By Pete Hurrey
On Thursday, Jan. 29, St. Mary’s County Public Schools superintendent, Michael J. Martirano stood before the School Board, explaining the complicated school budget for 2009 to an attentive audience. Dr. Martirano and his staff looked haggard and extremely tired. It had been a long couple of weeks.

Consider the fact that the State of Maryland slashed funding across the board for every school district in the state. Consider the fact that St. Mary’s County Board of County Commissioners had also indicated that funding for the beleaguered school system would not be as promised. Consider that fact that SMCPS is mid way through constructing the first new school in many years – Evergreen Elementary School, the first-of-its kind “green” school. Consider the fact that there are still over 17,000 students that need to be educated, transported and fed.

Even with all the considerations, even after all the budget cuts and funding shortfalls, Martirano and his staff managed, somehow, to present a balanced budget to the school board; balanced, even though there was $1.8 million less with which to work.

“In my 15 years in education, I have never had to create a budget with less funding than the year before,” said an exhausted Martirano to the board.

The herculean effort took its toll on SMCPS staffers who had to examine every facet, every detail and every minute line item in the $178.8 million budget, cutting here and there where they could, slashing where they had to, rearranging items when there was the opportunity to do so. Herculean because the budget situation changed when the state announced its funding shortfall and then again when the commissioners had to withhold promised funding; herculean because everything had to be done in short order to keep SMCPS in the business of educating the children.

Martirano indicated his staff did what they had to in order to make balance the budget, but did so while maintaining the level of education. “We are in the business of educating children,” said Martirano.

To be certain, the situation is not settled by any means. SMCPS was able adjust the budget this year and is looking toward 2010 and beyond with a wary eye toward the economy and what the ramifications of a continued downward trend will mean to education.

“We are still hopeful that the County Commissioners will be able to provide the funding so we can open Evergreen Elementary School and the budget reflects that,” said Martirano.

The superintendent told the board that this was a fluid situation and the budget is presented with no absolute certainty that it will not have to be changed once again. If that should become the case, Martirano and staff will spend more endless, sleepless nights and days trying their best to maintain the level of education for St. Mary’s Children.

L

luckystar

I don't know about overspending because I don't know exactly how much money is going to what. I know when I graduated in 04 though, GMHS was terrible. We were always short on supplies and the books had missing pages and writing all over them. We were required to buy our own $100 calculators because they didn't have enough to give out to all the students. We had to pay freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior dues, and weren't allowed to buy overpriced tickets to school events if they weren't paid. They were more expensive each year. We had to carry all of our books in our backpacks because the school was so overcrowded we didn't have time to get to our lockers between class to pick up and drop off things. My back is still screwed up from that. It was a mess to say the least. I'm glad it's over.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I don't know about overspending because I don't know exactly how much money is going to what. I know when I graduated in 04 though, GMHS was terrible. We were always short on supplies and the books had missing pages and writing all over them. We were required to buy our own $100 calculators because they didn't have enough to give out to all the students. We had to pay freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior dues, and weren't allowed to buy overpriced tickets to school events if they weren't paid. They were more expensive each year. We had to carry all of our books in our backpacks because the school was so overcrowded we didn't have time to get to our lockers between class to pick up and drop off things. My back is still screwed up from that. It was a mess to say the least. I'm glad it's over.
Just wondering, what was the dues for and how much was it each year?

B

Beaver-Cleaver

People in the education field are frustrated because education is the first thing the counties and states cut the budgets for. They don't cut budgets for their entitlements and social programs. They don't cut funding to the MVA/DMV. But, every year, the first thing to get cut is the education budget.

But they require so much. The schools have to have a minimum this and that. There can only be 20 kids in a classroom - but we can't hire more teachers so we can deal with the overflow.

We can only have 1,000 kids in each school but we can't build new ones.

We have to have a certain student to teacher ratio but we can't hire new teachers.

We have to have a building service manager that can make repairs, as needed, to the buildings but we can't hire one after someone else leaves.

It's not whining. OWE'Malley and the county gooberments have put the school systems in a very tight spot. They have to, by law, meet local, state and federal regulations but it's ####ing impossible with the budget we've been granted.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

I wish they'd quit using the double wides as classrooms. I HATE those damn things and kids shouldn't be subjected to those.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

Why? It's just another classroom.

It's the symbolic nature of them more than anything. Makes the schools look like ghetto trash. Of course it's not the school systems fault since they aren't allowed to build new schools to deal with the excess overflow of new students.

It's the symbolic nature of them more than anything. Makes the schools look like ghetto trash. Of course it's not the school systems fault since they aren't allowed to build new schools to deal with the excess overflow of new students.

So on one hand, you complain that there is no funding. Then you have a perfectly good solution for overflow which every school in the country has used, and you decry it because it portrays a "bad image".

And BTW, just how many kids do you have in this school system, anyway?

B

Beaver-Cleaver

We have to have two student computers in each elementary school classroom but we can't buy the #### we need to fix them if they break.

We can only have 25 students in each class but we don't have enough teachers to cover that without putting 30+ kids in classrooms.

:drama:

Mominsmc, you can call it whining but you don't know the regulations and the budget that exists so you don't know what you're talking about.

VERY stressful times inside the school systems.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

We aren't able to support what we have now because of budget cuts and there's MORE budget cuts coming.... :cds::cds:

B

Beaver-Cleaver

So on one hand, you complain that there is no funding. Then you have a perfectly good solution for overflow which every school in the country has used, and you decry it because it portrays a "bad image".

And BTW, just how many kids do you have in this school system, anyway?

:nono:

The old cruddy trailers are not a perfectly good solution. The new ones aren't bad but the old ones that have heating/AC problems are.

How would you like it if we told your 6 year-old kid to "suck it up and deal with it" when its too cold in his classroom because we don't have the money to fix something?

How would you like it if we told you your kid who just came into our school that he has to get problems 1-53 on page 735 of that Algebra book done for homework but don't have another book to get him because our budget for supplies was cut?

These problems are very real my friends and if they make any more major cuts it's going to get worse. Not that OweMalley or the County Commissioners care.

Pete

Repete

And thus we have the reason the school systems suck up vast quantities of cash. It is dry and warm, get to learnin.

L

luckystar

The old cruddy trailers are not a perfectly good solution. The new ones aren't bad but the old ones that have heating/AC problems are.

How would you like it if we told your 6 year-old kid to "suck it up and deal with it" when its too cold in his classroom because we don't have the money to fix something?

How would you like it if we told you your kid who just came into our school that he has to get problems 1-53 on page 735 of that Algebra book done for homework but don't have another book to get him because our budget for supplies was cut?

These problems are very real my friends and if they make any more major cuts it's going to get worse. Not that OweMalley or the County Commissioners care.

I've definitely had to skip homework before because the page wasn't there.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Class dues pay for prom, and not being able to participate due to non payment was in place over 20 years ago so that's not new.

RoadKill

Hmmm... I see a big fancy building...

in Leonardtown for administrators. I see administrators that make more money than almighty God. And yet, I meet teachers that are frustrated in their work, can't get the materials that they need for their classrooms, etc. And now, students post above about horrendous conditions! Perhaps expenditures are not appropriately prioritized? Perhaps the school district cannot fund every social experiment that special interest groups want? Good luck and God bless.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I wish they'd quit using the double wides as classrooms. I HATE those damn things and kids shouldn't be subjected to those.
You must have been taking lessons from a certain former St. Mary's political candidate. I'll bet you are still not skilled enough to take your cause to the steps of the courthouse, or in this case the school board. :lol:

Cowgirl

Everyone has budget issues. It's not just the school systems. I'm pretty sure you're not the only one who has to deal with budget issues. :rolleyes:

And Luckystar, we ALWAYS had to provide our own calculators. Always. I'm not sure why schools would provide them.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

Everyone has budget issues. It's not just the school systems. I'm pretty sure you're not the only one who has to deal with budget issues. :rolleyes:

And Luckystar, we ALWAYS had to provide our own calculators. Always. I'm not sure why schools would provide them.

Education is always the first thing to get cut.

Maryland doesn't cut these stupid ass social programs they have for illegal immigrants.

Charles County had to build a big damn ballpark.

It's not like they haven't had the money. They just don't want to invest it in education (unless they're investing in Baltimore).

B

Beaver-Cleaver

Ehrlich's the only Governor that's done anything for education.