Grain-Free pet foods - latest trend or legit?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

Oh my goodness - just too precious. I want to smush them both. :huggy:

As for homemade food - for a special treat it's awesome, for actually meeting dietary guidelines, there's a bunch of work involved. There are lots of internet resources available on that topic, so please do your research/homework. I usually batch cook - I prep a ton of tiny dog meals at once and then freeze them in individual containers, pull them out as needed and nuke them until warm. It comes in handy when somebody's been sick or whatever. However, since I discovered the amount of work involved in meeting their dietary guidelines, I just dry feed mostly, and supplement with carrots, and broccoli and the like as "treats".

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Thank ya'll. I love my pups, but they sure are wearing me out! I couldn't get over how much energy thy had tonight.

I will probably just stick to some chicken & brown rice treat food here and there. I have a hard enough time making sure I eat the right stuff ... dog nutrition isn't anything I want to try to be an expert in.

acommondisaster

I went grain free when I rescued the Chihuahuas that we have now. Both had stains under their eyes when I got them, they went away completely once I started them on a GF diet. Their coats are very shiny, too. I feed them Merrick.

crabcake

Nugs has been on the Blue GF for over a week now, and she still has dandruff on her back. She is an otherwise healthy gal with a wonderful coat, but I worry that as the air here dries out more, she will get more itchy skin (she scratches herself a little bit, but is treated for fleas so I assume it's dry skin). How long does it typically take to see results/benefits from the GF diet? She has half the bag left, so I may try another GF product as she finishes this one to mix together for the transition.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Nugs has been on the Blue GF for over a week now, and she still has dandruff on her back. She is an otherwise healthy gal with a wonderful coat, but I worry that as the air here dries out more, she will get more itchy skin (she scratches herself a little bit, but is treated for fleas so I assume it's dry skin). How long does it typically take to see results/benefits from the GF diet? She has half the bag left, so I may try another GF product as she finishes this one to mix together for the transition.

crabcake, my shiba used to have pretty itchy skin, which also gave her some decent dandruff. After initially putting her on the GF diet, the vet also suggested giving her Benadryl in her meals (she's fed 2x a day) or with a treat when it looks like she really needs it. When I first started her on it, it took a couple months to really see an improvement, to be honest. But mostly bc she has such thick fluffy fur (think german shepherd meets a chow chow). I'd give it some time, if nugs seems extra itchy some simple OTC Benadryl, 25mg (Maggie's 25 lbs so she got max 2 a day). Remember to not bathe her a lot, and there are some nice spray oils for coats available at the pet store too. I keep a couple "organic" ones (no chemicals) on hand, plus it makes her smell nice when I'm avoiding over-bathing her.

Now Maggie's been on GF for 2.5 years and I no longer have to give her Benadryl, her coat looks great, and less of it ends up on my bed and couch :biggrin:

Roman

crabcake, it will take a little longer than a couple of weeks for you to see the difference with the dandruff. You might want to give both of the pups some salmon oil, or regular fish oil for the time being. I wish I could remember how long it took for Meatball to be free of dandruff, but I don't think it was too long. Cute pups by the way.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
crabcake, it will take a little longer than a couple of weeks for you to see the difference with the dandruff. You might want to give both of the pups some salmon oil, or regular fish oil for the time being. I wish I could remember how long it took for Meatball to be free of dandruff, but I don't think it was too long. Cute pups by the way.

Ohh I forgot I used to put that stuff in her food also! Her fur was a little rough looking when I first got her :ohwell: A little salmon oil does wonders :yay: I used to get mine in the pump bottles from FF's store.

crabcake

Thanks much about the reminders for fish oil! I forgot about that as well so I will pick some up tomorrow. :yay:

ETA: I have only bathed each once, but they could stand to get another bath because they have been rolling around and whatnot outside, so they are a smidge stinkayyyy! :faint:

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
We always fed our rescue animals (dogs and cats) grocery store food. They lived for many years; dying at 14 and 15, but we always wondered if the food helped cause their deaths from what we have read. We actually paid for a labradoodle this time and only fed her high end dog food from petco at first. She kept having bowel problems. So we switched back to grocery store food (IAMS) about a month ago and give her half dog food half people food such as sweet potato, carrot, yogurt, chicken, rice and apple. She is good to go now, so to speak. I think the high end dog food is just another ploy for people to spend too much money. However, one does have to be mindful of the list of foods that pets can't eat. JMO. Daisy Doodle is 7 months old today and doing great. She is a true joy in our lives.

Edit: Can't sleep so thought I would post a recent pic of Daisy. Every time she goes outside she brings in a stick for mama. We won't have to collect kindling this year. :lol:

Attachments

• kindling.png
    kindling.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 143
  • cute.png
    cute.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Roman

We always fed our rescue animals (dogs and cats) grocery store food. They lived for many years; dying at 14 and 15, but we always wondered if the food helped cause their deaths from what we have read. We actually paid for a labradoodle this time and only fed her high end dog food from petco at first. She kept having bowel problems. So we switched back to grocery store food (IAMS) about a month ago and give her half dog food half people food such as sweet potato, carrot, yogurt, chicken, rice and apple. She is good to go now, so to speak. I think the high end dog food is just another ploy for people to spend too much money. However, one does have to be mindful of the list of foods that pets can't eat. JMO. Daisy Doodle is 7 months old today and doing great. She is a true joy in our lives.

Edit: Can't sleep so thought I would post a recent pic of Daisy. Every time she goes outside she brings in a stick for mama. We won't have to collect kindling this year. :lol:
What a sweet looking puppy. She is earning her keep by providing you with kindling! As far as the dog food is concerned, I think Grain-Free verses the regular stuff is up to you. I think I mentioned that we had a mutt that lived 20+ years, and she ate Old Roy. We gave her table scraps too. If Daisy likes the Iams, that's good enough.

littlelady

God bless the USA
What a sweet looking puppy. She is earning her keep by providing you with kindling! As far as the dog food is concerned, I think Grain-Free verses the regular stuff is up to you. I think I mentioned that we had a mutt that lived 20+ years, and she ate Old Roy. We gave her table scraps too. If Daisy likes the Iams, that's good enough.

That is awesome you had a dog that lived that long. One of mine made it to 17. I did have a cat live to be 21. I have always taken a lot of stock in what you say on this forum; on many subjects. Thanks!

What a cutie, littlelady!

Your pups are cuties, too! :smile: Thanks for this thread. Very informative.

dachsom

One of my dachshunds just turned 18 and has Cushing s disease. The standard treatment for the disease is too expensive for us so we went looking for an alternative. We eliminated all grains from her diet, starting with her food. Within 3 months, she was symptom free including not losing anymore hair. She is more active too. We put our other Doxie and the English Springer Spaniel on the grain free soon after and they both seem to be doing a lot better energy wise. It has been over a year now since any of the dogs have had any stomach troubles.

crabcake

One of my dachshunds just turned 18 and has Cushing s disease. The standard treatment for the disease is too expensive for us so we went looking for an alternative. We eliminated all grains from her diet, starting with her food. Within 3 months, she was symptom free including not losing anymore hair. She is more active too. We put our other Doxie and the English Springer Spaniel on the grain free soon after and they both seem to be doing a lot better energy wise. It has been over a year now since any of the dogs have had any stomach troubles.

Cushings is a b!tch! My beagle had it also, along with dementia, and you can't treat both (RX-wise) at the same time. Glad that your pup is doing better!

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I get the Costco brand of Taste of the Wild that is grain free. All Tug's itches went away and same with stomach issues. But the scratching is a huge difference.

acommondisaster

Our vet suggested taking a cod liver oil capsule and cutting it in half and squeezing about half a capsule on our rat terrier's food for itchy skin. Seemed to help; she was prone to skin allergies during certain times of the year.