Greetings from Bar Harbor!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Mt. Desert Island (or MDI, as the locals say) has ONE chain business - a single lonely Subway. No McDonalds, no Applebees, no chain convenience stores, no Jiffy Lube. Oh, wait, there's a Rite Aid, too. So that's two chain businesses. Everything else is local and one of a kind.

What you eat here is lobster (natch), whoopie pies, and blueberries in many forms. Whoopie pie stout - I am not making that up; we tasted it in York, ME at SoME brewery. Almost every restaurant serves clam or seafood chowder, and even the roadside shacks have damn fine chowdah. Supposedly they are also big on fiddleheads, but we've only seen one sighting so far. I thought cranberries would be a bigger thing but we see a normal amount of cranberry products - blueberries are absolutely overrepresented, which is okay by me because I'm a blueberry person. I also thought we'd see more maple things.

MDI is large, but there is only one real commercial area - Bar Harbor - and it's not very big. You don't come here to go to Ripley's Believe It Or Not or ride go-karts or play mini golf or party like a rock star. You'd only come here if you're into outdoorsy things - hiking or kayaking, like that. The beaches are not amazing, they're rocks instead of sand, and the water is COLD. But it's so pretty here. The air smells good, all wholesome and such. It's a highly rural area where you come to relax instead of rush rush high entertainment.

Acadia is gorgeous. Don't get me wrong, it's no Yellowstone - not even close - but it's very scenic and peaceful (Yellowstone is not particularly peaceful because every square inch of it crawls with tourists every second of the season). Today we went up to Cadillac Mountain and there were people hiking around, but not enormous crazy throngs of them.

Honestly, I don't get hiking. You've seen one forest, you've seen them all. People hike the Appalachian Trail - why? :confused: But I have my perfect hiking shoes that I got in Cody last year, and there's not really a whole lot else to do here, so we'll probably do some woods walking because we have a whole week and a half left before we head to Montreal.

Fun fact: we see the sun before you all do in the morning (in MD). The sun rises here at 5am, almost a full hour before you all see it, yet our sunset is only 15 minutes or so before yours. I like this because it wakes me up early and I love to get a jump on the day.

:getdown: I love getting a jump on the day! :yay: It's why I drag my butt to the gym for the O dark thirty class and when FH and I go to Florida, we (I) like to walk the beach as the sun is coming up or right after it does. I get my couple of hours on the beach in before the crowds do, and I am a happy woman. The beach to his parents' condo is semi-private, so it's not crowded to begin with, but I like my solitude, and it is very serene until about 9-10am.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Honestly, I don't get hiking. You've seen one forest, you've seen them all. People hike the Appalachian Trail - why? :confused: But I have my perfect hiking shoes that I got in Cody last year, and there's not really a whole lot else to do here, so we'll probably do some woods walking because we have a whole week and a half left before we head to Montreal.

I've been doing some short hikes with FH lately along the American Chestnut Land Trust trails. We really liked those. Then we did a trail down to the CB Bay in Calvert Cliffs State Park last Sat and didn't like it at ALL. I am doing them mostly for the fitness aspect. I going to do a day hike with FH, although we haven't picked where that will be, yet. I have NO desire to hike the AT, and the only reason I do these hikes besides going with FH is I do it for the fitness aspect. Because, as you say - if you've seen one forest, you've seen them all. :lmao:

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
DSCN4280.jpg

DSCN4266.jpg

DSCN4273.jpg

DSCN4286.jpg

DSCN4316.jpg

DSCN4327.jpg

:lol: the pics of the islands from the top of the mountain looks just like mine! Wonder how many millions of similar pics like that are out there?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What Monello posted above is a typical lobster pound (which is what they call their seafood restaurants here). A shack with picnic tables for seating (sometimes even indoors) and a huge outdoor kitchen where they prepare the food.

DSCN4272.JPG

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I've been doing some short hikes with FH lately along the American Chestnut Land Trust trails. We really liked those. Then we did a trail down to the CB Bay in Calvert Cliffs State Park last Sat and didn't like it at ALL. I am doing them mostly for the fitness aspect. I going to do a day hike with FH, although we haven't picked where that will be, yet. I have NO desire to hike the AT, and the only reason I do these hikes besides going with FH is I do it for the fitness aspect. Because, as you say - if you've seen one forest, you've seen them all. :lmao:

So far, I have walked 28 days straight. Mostly at Calvert Cliffs State Park and around my neighborhood.The deer flies are horrible at CCSP. I bring a hand towel with me just to swat them away.

Monello

PREMO Member
Saturday we went on a mini pub crawl. Stopped of at 2 watering holes downtown then hit a pizzeria before heading back to the cottage. Downtown Bar Harbor was full of tourists eating, drinking, shopping & taking in the sights. Sunday was back to Acadia and down to Sand Beach. Ocean water temperature was a balmy 55 degrees. Quite a few hearty souls were actually in the water. Most of them young people. Later in the afternoon the fog rolled in, obscuring the view of the outlying islands. Sunday evening late we headed down to Hadley's Beach to view the aurora borealis. The lights never appeared but at least we got out later in the evening.

The 2nd bar we stopped off at Saturday was this little bar that, for it's size, had a very aggressive cocktail menu. While sitting there we watched the skilled mixologist create a cucumber puree for 1 of the drinks. Several times when he was making drinks I watched him add liquid ingredients with an eye dropper. 1 of the garnish for a drink is a piece of whole star anise. I stuck to my go to, a cider. But it was still interesting to watch various drinks being created. On the end of the bar was a large glass jar with a pour spigot on the bottom. Clearly there was some rather large pieces floating in a liquor. When I asked the bartender what was in the jar, someone remarked it looked like body parts. I'm not sure how much the person that answered had to drink up to that point. Turns out it was whole strawberries macerating in a liquor that I have now forgotten

DSCN4341.jpg

DSCN4347.jpg

DSCN4383.jpg

DSCN4388.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN4351.jpg
    DSCN4351.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 213

Monello

PREMO Member
The bar in question.

DSCN4372.jpg

DSCN4367.jpg

DSCN4368.jpg

DSCN4369.jpg

This picture is from my cruise up to New England in 2014. I enjoyed stopping off here to wet my whistle and hoped Vrai would like it also, so that's why we stopped in
DSCF6713.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Okay, I'm over Maine. I need some warmth and sunshine - my seasonal depression is kicking in IN JULY!!! What??? Next stop is Montreal, then a month in Burlington, so I will not be having summer for quite some time. :frown: The good news is that Sept/early Oct is an amazing time to be in SoMD, so I'm looking forward to that. At first it was fun to cuddle in a sweatshirt while you all were complaining about 100* temps, but now I'm ready for some higher numbers. I must admit, the chilly evenings are nice for sleeping and that cool breeze coming in is a snuggle encourager, but I really do need my sun and heat. My tan has almost completely faded. That's how hosed up this is: I had a great tan in the winter and spring, faded out in the summer.

:crazy:

Bitching aside, I really am enjoying it here...but looking forward to moving on on Saturday.