Greetings from Eufaula, AL!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have a negative impression of Alabama, and Alabamans. Alabamites? Whatever...

Fun fact: what you call someone from somewhere is called a "demonym". Marylander, Nebraskan, Floridian, etc.

Eufaula is a small town, we're just spending the night on the way to Helen, GA. One of the guests at our resort is from Eufaula and she said there was a cute historic downtown with a super cool pecan and coffee shop - she was right about that. But the people here seem half retarded, which is par for the course of other towns I've visited in the state. If someone told me AL was the meth capital of the US, I'd believe it.

Anyway, our hotel is across the street from a lake that is dammed from the Chattahoochee, so that's pretty cool. And after an alarming introduction, we had pretty good BBQ at this shack outside of town.

There are a ton of historic homes, some have been refurbished and look amazing, then right next door will be a former glory that's fallen to ruin. Then the next street over is shitshacks where the rednecks live.

I want to like Alabama but it has to help me out a little.

TPD

the poor dad
My only interaction with Alabama was Gulf Shores about 5 years ago. We enjoyed our time there and didn’t see any “half retards”. I need to visit more of Alabama.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My only interaction with Alabama was Gulf Shores about 5 years ago. We enjoyed our time there and didn’t see any “half retards”. I need to visit more of Alabama.

Gulf Shores, they were probably all tourists from somewhere else. :lol:

And Mobile was nice, I don't recall them being too retarded there. Not any more than anywhere else, at least.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Gulf Shores, they were probably all tourists from somewhere else. :lol:

And Mobile was nice, I don't recall them being too retarded there. Not any more than anywhere else, at least.
My mom's relatives are from Mobile. 😬
:killingme

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I will say this for Eufaula, they haven't given up. They're trying to have nice things, and I appreciate towns that hang in there. Some just throw up their hands and let it all go to chit - talking to you, Port Lavaca TX. And you, Paterson NJ.

I think the best small town I've been to, where they really have pride and nobody's ever heard of it but it should be a destination, is Bastrop TX. Mount Dora FL is another good one, and so is Bisbee AZ. I love the hidden gems.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Mobile is nice. My mom lived there for years. She also has a place in Gulf Shores.
I haven't been there in at least 35 years. I spent more time there when I was a child before we moved to Italy. Mom had a big family, and some of her brothers stayed in Mobile, but most of the relatives were on her mother's side, and a great many of them originally came from Pensacola, FL.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I haven't been there in at least 35 years. I spent more time there when I was a child before we moved to Italy. Mom had a big family, and some of her brothers stayed in Mobile, but most of the relatives were on her mother's side, and a great many of them originally came from Pensacola, FL.
She moved up here 18 years ago, so its been a while since I was last there.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Well if I remember right, Forrest Gump was from Alabama and seemed to be smarter and far more civilized than most of his neighbors.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My family property is all the way up toward northwest corner of AL...a tiny place called Isbell, about 20 miles south of Russellville. The only way you know you are there is a road called "Isbell Loop" and the Isbell United Methodist Church.

Bobwhite

I will say this for Eufaula, they haven't given up. They're trying to have nice things, and I appreciate towns that hang in there. Some just throw up their hands and let it all go to chit - talking to you, Port Lavaca TX. And you, Paterson NJ.

I think the best small town I've been to, where they really have pride and nobody's ever heard of it but it should be a destination, is Bastrop TX. Mount Dora FL is another good one, and so is Bisbee AZ. I love the hidden gems.
I lived in the Orlando area for twenty-five years and I spent as much time as possible in Mt. Dora. Love, love, love it.

Clem72

Bizbee is whackadoodle. I was once having dinner and a drink in an old west styled bar there and after a half hour or so I noticed my friend and I were the only two men in the place and it was suddenly packed. Then a giant fat lady came in and started singing bawdy songs and playing the piano with her boobs. Turns out it was a some kind of western lesbian discotheque.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Bizbee is whackadoodle. I was once having dinner and a drink in an old west styled bar there and after a half hour or so I noticed my friend and I were the only two men in the place and it was suddenly packed. Then a giant fat lady came in and started singing bawdy songs and playing the piano with her boobs. Turns out it was a some kind of western lesbian discotheque.
1660048160511.png

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

A western lesbian disco? Sorry I missed that.

We had lunch at a restaurant that used to be the stock exchange (called, coincidentally, The Stock Exchange). It was pretty cool.