Greetings from Mobile, AL!

littlelady

God bless the USA
Oh my gosh, SO cute!

We went to Mardi Gras Park in downtown Mobile for their Go Mobile festival. The fest itself wasn't all that - except for the fancy popsicles that I've become addicted to - and it was hotter than blazing hell today. I have never sweated so much for such as prolonged a period.

But we walked down Dauphin St., which is their "come drink and eat" street. Found Alchemy bar, which couldn't be any cuter. And now dinner is ready so I'll come back to this....

Glad y’all like Mobile! I have thought about my years there, since you started this thread. It has been 30+ years. Enjoy!

Story...I worked for Scott Paper Co. in admin. The mill went on strike and all admin had to work the mill. I learned how to drive a forklift, and loaded trucks, and worked 10 nights on, 10 nighfs off. :jet: Thus, my reference to sleeping in our old house with nothing but ceiling fans; during the day, no less. A true life experience that I would do all over again.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Today was 1 of those days that makes this lifestyle well worth the effort. I have to say that I set the bar pretty low for Mobile and pretty much all of Alabama. I spent some time at Ft. Rucker while my son was there for training and really didn't get to see much. Our road trip to Dauphin Island was a good Alabama introduction. So today we went us to the big city. We got on our Sunday best and jumped in the buggy and headed over for a spell.

First off Mobile is a very clean large city. No trash or graphiti visible. You hear that Baltimore & Philly?!? There was a guy with a sort of official looking shirt that told us we didn't have to feed the parking meter since it was the weekend. I guess he took pity on us as we stared at the contraption to see if it was hungry. Then 2 blocks away we see another gentleman with a similar shirt and he is spraying the weeds in the cracks in the sidewalk. He asked if we were visiting. I remarked how clean the city is. He said he's part of a crew that does city clean up 7 days a week. And it shows.

Their tourism fair wasn't all that. They had live music and several booths. There were a few food trucks. We got a map that showed the various local museums. We are more history people than artsy people so we just went on walkabout.

The architecture style reminds me of New Orleans. Those 2nd story balconies with the wrought iron decorations. If you've been to the crescent city, you will be familiar with what I'm trying to describe. The city does a good job of blending the old with the new. Downtown Mobile is laid out grid style. Dauphin Street has a lot of restaurants and bars housed in well kept older homes. You don't find many chain businesses outside of Jimmy Johns. There are 2 buildings that appear to have been movie theaters.

The area is vibrant with people walking about. It's not Inner Harbor busy, more like Annapolis busy. The first place we stopped for a drink had a good crowd. The reason we needed to stop because it was hotter than hades. Everyone walking had some form of visible sweat. The Lo Da bier garten was just what we needed. 102 beer & ciders on tap. Good luck picking 1. We thought about the name and tried to conjure up all sorts of reasons for the name. Perhaps it's German for something. The name is a contraction of Lower and Dauphin, since it's location is Dauphin Street. The 2nd thing we wondered was how a bartender can remember the location of each beer. There is no system in place, they just learn as they go. Only about 20 of the brews rotate. The others are permanent fixtures.

I had a Ciderboy's Pineapple Hula cider. It was quite refreshing for a hot day. We didn't even look at the menu but I guess they may have offered some German dishes. After watching the Nationals lose on a walk off home run we left.

Just across the street is an older brick building. A few of the Lo Da employees were coming out of there. Vrai was taking pictures and I popped my head inside. This was the coolest looking bar, called Alchemy. Brick interior with dark wood. It needed a jazz trio in the corner. It was almost empty with just a few bar stools occupied. Compared to the crowd at the bar across the street I was surprised at the contrast.

DSCN5724.jpg

DSCN5727.jpg

We talked to the bartender but he was very knowledgeable and could have been an owner. He told us about the downtown Mobile area with a focus on the bars and nightlife. 1 of his stories was of how he originally planned to visit Germany for a week but ended up getting a job and hung around working for 9 months until he felt Mobile pull him back in. I like the stories people tell of how they ended up in a certain place. The Keys and Panama City Beach have a lot of those people who wanted to get out of their sleepy towns and go somewhere exciting. Mr Alchemy barkeep thought the grass might be greener somewhere else but ended up back home. I'm happy to report he isn't sorry about his choice.

DSCN5733.jpg
DSCN5730.jpg

DSCN5732.jpg

After this stop we headed out intending to walk 5 or so blocks to the location of another bar. Not to drink but to stop by to pay homage to the reason we are even in Mobile. On one of our trips back to Panama City Beach from Texas we were in search for a bicycle carrier part. The GPS told us there was a bike shop in Mobile, not too far off the interstate. Well the Oh Bike Shop is actually a bar. Even though we didn't find the part we were looking for, we did put Mobile on our short list for places to come back and explore more thouroughly.

So here we are exploring. And trying to keep our cool in the sweltering south.

Attachments

• DSCN5729.jpg
    DSCN5729.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 318

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
"Tequila Strength Training" :killingme

I'm loving the grown up view of Mobile! :yahoo:

I only remember the visits there as a child, and then 1 time when I was about 17-ish to an aunt or uncle of my mom's and they lived in the country outside of Mobile. There was a huge family reunion and we had a fish fry. I had fried mullet and hushpuppies for the first time. My grandfather also roasted a ham and made genuine red eye gravy, and he baked beans (made 100% from scratch) over the firepit :yay:

We lived with my mom's parents for 3 months when my dad went to school in MS(I think?) for 3 months before we left for Naples, Italy. I remember there was a bread factory someplace downtown, and whenever we crossed over a bridge - there was the heavenly smell of bread baking! Not sure if it was Sunbeam or Wonderbread - but it was the best smell ever! :yum: Since we lived there for 3 months, I went to 2nd grade from Nov. '66 - Feb.'67. What I remember: we had very strict teachers, we had a cigarbox for our desk things, we said The Lord's Prayer in the morning before or after The Pledge of Allegiance (and it wasn't Catholic school). Other than those few things, I don't recall much - I went to 3 schools for 2nd grade, because of the move overseas. Military Brat life!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Old friend of mine lives in Saraland...been in the Mobile area all his life and seems to know everyone. Rides a white horse in some part the Mardi Gras parade, wearing a crazy uniform/costume that means something I've forgotten. He and extended family are also part of the "trailer park" party groups that set up around town, particularly in the huge never-used parking areas that the city built for a cruise line port that never panned out. He, like most from there, is quick to point out that Mobile had Mardi Gras first and does it best. ;-)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sweltering is the best word to describe the weather here. Last night it thunder stormed with a force that rivaled south Florida, and cooled things off a little bit. This morning at 7am it was merely hot. I know I appear to be complaining about this but I really don't mind; it's just worth remarking on because it's extreme to me.

Anyway, downtown Mobile is like a smaller Bourbon St. A lot of the same architecture and general historic feel. Mobile Bay is enormous and beautiful, even with the oil rigs in view. I love driving over bridges, especially if they cross large bodies of water, and this view was spectacular. I'm finding the people to be quite friendly; not in a fake "I want your money so I have to speak to you" way, but genuinely pleasant and hospitable. They love their city and are happy to suggest where you should go and what you should do.

This was a nice little find. :yay:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
[video=youtube;cf3eECaMkZc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf3eECaMkZc[/video]

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So two things:

Alabama BBQ is very saucy, so whatever place has the best I'm still not going to like it. But that's okay - can't win 'em all and we'll be in TX soon. But at Dick Russell's BBQ our waitress told us about Sessions Farms (almost certainly related to Jeff) about 5 miles from us that has THE BEST watermelon. Monello is cutting it up right now.

Tomorrow we're heading to Fairhope, which is a cute walky/shoppy/drinky town across the Bay. Will report on my findings.

black dog

Free America
Have you two ever read the magazine Garden & Gun? It not only has a few good recipes in it it for meat and fish. But it also usually has a few shorts about local good restaurants and their chefs all over that South. It has directed me to many a great meal in towns where I have no idea where to eat..

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Have you two ever read the magazine Garden & Gun? It not only has a few good recipes in it it for meat and fish. But it also usually has a few shorts about local good restaurants and their chefs all over that South. It has directed me to many a great meal in towns where I have no idea where to eat..

I've never heard of that magazine. We find that servers & bartenders are great sources of local info. Plus the internet has more than enough pages of where to go and what to do.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Fairhope, AL - really cute downtown, lots of shops and eateries. We went to the pier and had mini lunch at Shux - split a cup of tasty gumbo, a cup of mediocre clam chowder, and an order of outstanding crawfish balls. The balls were cheesy with chunks of crawdad, breaded and deep fried, served with marinara. YUM!

Then we went to Bluegill, which is my new favorite place in Alabama. It's a roadhouse/fish camp on the bayou with tons of personality. We had second lunch of flaming oysters (oysters flame grilled with cheese and butter, the way they do at Acme Oyster House in New Orleans) and fresh made pork rinds. I would call Bluegill a "most go" if you're in the Mobile area. It's exactly the type of restaurant we're always looking for wherever we go.

Today is our last day and while we're looking forward to Baton Rouge I'm going to miss Mobile and this campground. It's not gorgeous like Emerald Coast but it's small town bayou charming and the people are really nice.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Fairhope, AL - really cute downtown, lots of shops and eateries. We went to the pier and had mini lunch at Shux - split a cup of tasty gumbo, a cup of mediocre clam chowder, and an order of outstanding crawfish balls. The balls were cheesy with chunks of crawdad, breaded and deep fried, served with marinara. YUM!

Then we went to Bluegill, which is my new favorite place in Alabama. It's a roadhouse/fish camp on the bayou with tons of personality. We had second lunch of flaming oysters (oysters flame grilled with cheese and butter, the way they do at Acme Oyster House in New Orleans) and fresh made pork rinds. I would call Bluegill a "most go" if you're in the Mobile area. It's exactly the type of restaurant we're always looking for wherever we go.

Today is our last day and while we're looking forward to Baton Rouge I'm going to miss Mobile and this campground. It's not gorgeous like Emerald Coast but it's small town bayou charming and the people are really nice.
I
Foxhound really loved those grilled oysters he had when we were in New Orleans. We went with my aunt & uncle and we think it was Acme Oyster House. Will have to check out pix of the place.