Greetings from Panama City Beach!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I want to know what bank vrai and Monello robbed to be able to take their great adventure. :lol: I want to be a free spirit, too. :smile:

We get asked that a LOT.

Monello is retired military and owns property that provides him with additional income. I'm still working, just from the road now. Even if your job doesn't give you the option of telecommuting, there are unlimited ways you can earn money on the road. Work camping and temping is more popular than I realized when we started this journey.

The RV is our home - we don't have another home we're paying for. No mortgage, no rent, no utilities. That makes a HUGE difference in what we're able to afford. The cost of a monthly stay in a good RV park goes from $500 - $1500, utilities all included, many times including cable TV and almost always including wifi access.

Neither of us has an emotional attachment to a home or location or being near family, and we don't care about our previous nice things. We were both meant for this lifestyle, and it's certainly not for everyone. At first I missed my kitchen and having my own bathroom, but the joy of travel and experiencing new adventures way compensates for that and now I don't miss "home" at all.

The short answer is that you CAN take off and be a free spirit - anyone can. It's what you're willing to give up to get it that prevents most people from hitting the road.

Fear was the biggest hurdle for me - you can ask my friends, I was a freaking basket case worrying about the unknown. But one I wrapped my mind around the "what-ifs", they didn't seem like such a big deal and it was nothing that couldn't be planned for or overcome. And so far we haven't run into anything that was a big issue. Very occasionally I would get bent out of shape at the lack of space, but now I'm used to it.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Thanks, vrai, for the detailed and interesting explanation of y'all's new life style, and the adjustments made. Y'all are definitely having a blast! I have always said to you that you should be a writer. You could definitely make a living at it! :smile:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I really like that song.

Sounds like the Original Kingston Trio Version
[parents had the Album, it was a house fav. growing up]

No mortgage, no rent, no utilities.

this saves you loads to do everything else ....

No Mortgage 1000 - 3000 [or more]
No Utilities - could be another 500 - 1500 depending on what you have Gas, Electric, Cable, Phone, Internet ....

TAXES ... no property tax sure you buying Gas and paying Sales tax ... but
Sure the RV requires Maintenance ... but so does a house

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Dowhat -

Plan a mini vacay to someplace Vrai & Monello will be and go visit them on the road to see a bit about how they live! Rent an RV and do it for a week. Or a long weekend, if they're someplace closer.

Twice I've gotten to plan a vacay around someplace they were going to be - and went to visit them! :yahoo: Last fall in Cody, WY - where Foxhound and I went together. It was a blast. Then in February when they were in Sarasota, FL. Foxhound couldn't take leave when I did, so I flew down to Tampa by myself. I have 3 nieces in FL, and 1 grand nephew that I wanted to see. I was able to a few plan days around seeing each one of them and see Vrai & Monello a few days, as well. We even met up with Sharon & 2A 2 different times.

Plan it!!:cartwheel

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't ever want to leave here. We have a terrific itinerary planned for spring through fall, but I don't care. I want to stay in Panama City Beach. :tantrum:

Today we played 18 at Hombre Golf Club, then went to Sharky's for dinner and happy hour. It's right on the beach, my grilled grouper was delicious, and my frozen margarita was top notch.

https://sharkysbeach.com/panama-city-beach-webcam-at-sharkys-beachfront-restaurant/

If you look to the right, you'll see the bar and perhaps people sitting at it (depending on what time you watch). That was us this afternoon.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The other day we went down 30A, which is a stretch of road that goes through all these cute beach towns. It has its own website. Parts of it are secluded, not much going on, then other towns are super touristy, but in a good way. Along this stretch you can either tent camp and commune with nature, or you can get your taffy and food truck on with the spring breakers, or you can be super wealthy and live in a mansion behind a gate.

DSCN2704.JPG

DSCN2693.JPG

Today we went into Destin and my original mission went kaput, so Monello took us wandering and we found Harborwalk, which is a commercial area on the water. Tons of neat shops and food/drink, then you take a couple of steps down and that's where the boats are docked.

DSCN2733.JPG

It's gorgeous here.

DSCN2674.JPG