Groundcover

RoseRed said:
:yeahthat:

You don't want to plant ivy, unless you don't mind it getting out of control and overgrowing EVERYTHING! Vinca also is an evergreen plant, has purty purple flowers in the spring/summer, spreads quickly, but is easily controlled by pruning a la lawnmower when it grows beyond your desired boundary.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
huntr1 said:
:yeahthat:

You don't want to plant ivy, unless you don't mind it getting out of control and overgrowing EVERYTHING! Vinca also is an evergreen plant, has purty purple flowers in the spring/summer, spreads quickly, but is easily controlled by pruning a la lawnmower when it grows beyond your desired boundary.

the ivy can be "trimmed" al a mower when it grows beyond the boundary (the way my mounds are, anyway, as there is no border around them). I think a flowering groundcover might be a bit much for the mounds because of their size. :ohwell:

Pete

Repete
crabcake said:
Can anyone recommend a good hearty growncover that does well in full sun, grows fast, and needs minimal care (besides astroturf)? I need something for the mounds in the front yard and they are both in full sun all day. And I ain't fooling around with mulch any more!

I'm thinking some kind of leafy ivy ... like english ivy ... but it's gotta do well in full sun.
Kudso :yay: works excellent

crabcake

Pete said:
Hey you wanted fast growing good cover. Did you look at the pics?

Yea, and I read where it said to close your bedroom windows to keep it from strangling you in the middle of the night. :mad: Meamie! :bawl:

Pete

Repete
crabcake said:
Yea, and I read where it said to close your bedroom windows to keep it from strangling you in the middle of the night. :mad: Meamie! :bawl:
Old wives tale, it would take several days to actually strangle someone. :rolleyes: That stuff was all over where I grew up. It would grow right up a power pole and down the line. I have seen entire houses covered up. :lmao:

crabcake

Pete said:
That stuff was all over where I grew up. It would grow right up a power pole and down the line. I have seen entire houses covered up. :lmao:

:yay: noted for the pesky neighbors down the street. :lol:

I think I'm sold on the Baltic English Ivy. I see it here every day at work and I just love the way it looks and grows. Thanks for the input everyone. :smile:

Pete

Repete
crabcake said:
:yay: noted for the pesky neighbors down the street. :lol:

I think I'm sold on the Baltic English Ivy. I see it here every day at work and I just love the way it looks and grows. Thanks for the input everyone. :smile:
I have that stuff next to my driveway, it grows really well.

crabcake

Pete said:
I would not know how to get it to give away. It is a vine and it is all over the place.

I's just kiddin' ya ... I'm gonna order the ivy from the place I posted last night ... it's only $50-some for 100 plants, which I think will work on the two mounds ... probably 40 on one, 50 on the other, and the extra 10 for the one mound out by the road (forgot about that one).

I also wouldn't mind getting some extra and training it to grow up the fence around the back yard. :yay: That way the damn dogs won't be barking at every bird that sits just outside it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
the ivy can be "trimmed" al a mower when it grows beyond the boundary (the way my mounds are, anyway, as there is no border around them). I think a flowering groundcover might be a bit much for the mounds because of their size. :ohwell:
The flowers are contained within the leaves of the plant - it doesn't shoot up a stalk. I have to agree with not using ivy to "fill in" an area. It's very invasive and unless you're diligent, can take over quickly.

Vinca is very well-behaved, stays green all winter, flowers continuously during the summer, and can be trimmed with the mower if needed. :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Vince said:
Psst, Rose, I spell my name with an "E" at the end, not an "A".
:confused: You want to be buried in CC's yard? Sounds like a warped version of Motel Hell. :lol:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
RoseRed said:
:confused: You want to be buried in CC's yard? Sounds like a warped version of Motel Hell. :lol:
Hmmm, seems to me I did hear something about another forumite with bodies buried in his/her backyard? :lol:

(I'm being deliberately vague, as not to give anything away; this is the internet, and people will believe anything you say!)