Growler Fill Question

glhs837

Power with Control
Maybe we need a growler with the logos of all state and regional brewery names as well as all the applicable warning labels from the area. I'm sure that would be rejected by every brewery, but it would be funny to see. Kind of a waste to have to purchase a growler or two for each brewery that you might visit in the area.

Another growler annoyance is that many places price a growler fill to not be terribly competitive with bottle/can prices. Some places, like Calvert, IIRC, has typical craft beers at $14/fill. That is like a six-pack of 12 oz cans/bottles for $15.75. I know you feel cool and all getting a growler, and some products are brewhouse-only (not packaged for stores), but it is a pricey proposition.

Yeah, I don't see the point in filling a growler with stuff you can get in bottles already. One reason the filling fiasco doesn't really impact me, I usually only fill mine at places where beer is brewed. Going to drop a few of my collection off at the daughters new place in Richmond so I always have one there to bring stuff home in. The place way up in Calvert (is it the Calvert Brewing Co?, the one in the industrial park) told me they will fill any growler that has the SG and cleaning stuff on it, have not tested that yet though.

John Z

if you will
Yeah, I don't see the point in filling a growler with stuff you can get in bottles already. One reason the filling fiasco doesn't really impact me, I usually only fill mine at places where beer is brewed. Going to drop a few of my collection off at the daughters new place in Richmond so I always have one there to bring stuff home in. The place way up in Calvert (is it the Calvert Brewing Co?, the one in the industrial park) told me they will fill any growler that has the SG and cleaning stuff on it, have not tested that yet though.

The place in northern Calvert (that I haven't visited yet) is Scorpion. I definitely enjoy getting the limited release offerings and checking out (and checking in, via the untapped app) new local offerings. And I have filled my Mully's growlers a few times, but I rarely find myself able to justify brewery visits.

Another thing these places are starting to all do is develop VIP clubs/mug clubs to encourage you to hand out there and get a personalized drinking device, discounted beer at the bar and in growlers, and maybe even a shirt. Would be cool if I lived across the street from a local brewery, but that would just be hazardous. Perilous, even.

glhs837

Power with Control
The place in northern Calvert (that I haven't visited yet) is Scorpion. I definitely enjoy getting the limited release offerings and checking out (and checking in, via the untapped app) new local offerings. And I have filled my Mully's growlers a few times, but I rarely find myself able to justify brewery visits.

Another thing these places are starting to all do is develop VIP clubs/mug clubs to encourage you to hand out there and get a personalized drinking device, discounted beer at the bar and in growlers, and maybe even a shirt. Would be cool if I lived across the street from a local brewery, but that would just be hazardous. Perilous, even.

Agreed. Legends, about a 4 minute walk from the daughters place, has a mug club. and a great view of the river and downtown across said river. But I'm sure it would not be worth it to get into it.

John Z

if you will
Agreed. Legends, about a 4 minute walk from the daughters place, has a mug club. and a great view of the river and downtown across said river. But I'm sure it would not be worth it to get into it.

Yeah, I went there once about 10 years ago or so. Very cool view. Back then, downtown had Richbrau, and I had lunch/beer there once. That was about it for breweries. I'm sure there are a dozen in Richmond now. Not a bad time to be a beer lover.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I have a growler from ABC and none of the breweries will fill it, I've been told they only fill their own.
I have not tried the ABC growler, which I think is generic, at say Twist.
I've also been told that Mully's isn't worth the effort, but that someone's personal opinoin of the beer.
IMHO, growler isn't worth it to me because I need to drink the beer quickly (less than 2 days) and frankly during the week that isn't happening.
It's not an effective form of weight loss either.

lovinmaryland

I have a growler from ABC and none of the breweries will fill it, I've been told they only fill their own.
I have not tried the ABC growler, which I think is generic, at say Twist.
I've also been told that Mully's isn't worth the effort, but that someone's personal opinoin of the beer.
IMHO, growler isn't worth it to me because I need to drink the beer quickly (less than 2 days) and frankly during the week that isn't happening.
It's not an effective form of weight loss either.

Yes they don't keep very long unfortunately. They are nice when your visiting a new brewery out of town and want to take some back to enjoy at home or the hotel. A lot of times they do small batch flavors that they won't bottle or can.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yes they don't keep very long unfortunately. They are nice when your visiting a new brewery out of town and want to take some back to enjoy at home or the hotel. A lot of times they do small batch flavors that they won't bottle or can.

Oh yeah, that's why I have two Sam Addams growlers :) We were up for a week and they sell small batch stuff that never gets bottled out of the tasting room in back :) And this is why I'm trying to avoid buying more growlers.

softtouch

Maybe it is time to eliminate all the rules and start over.

Attachments

• bucket-boy.jpg
    bucket-boy.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 77