Happening Now Hollywood Accident

3CATSAILOR

In order to be going to an emergency you have to have both on. However, regardless of whether or not there was an emergency, the ambulance has to yield to the police officer who had the right of way, whether or not the emergency equipment was on or not. The driver of the ambulance will more than likely receive a ticket since the accident involved injury.

officeguy

Good to know, my info was from yesterday morning.

I hadn't looked at the pictures till now. Looks like it bent the outer edge of the floor a bit and maybe contacted the rear axle. Hope it is minimal damage, I know an ambulance is an expensive investment.

Is there any place besides baynet and smnewsnet that has pictures of the ambulance ?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Went about thier business I imagine, since it wasnt a high speed chase. Heck, that driver might not even have been aware that the officer had pulled out to come after them if they exhibited the normal level of situational awareness of average drivers.

unless the trooper informed dispatch of the plate she was chasing.

A simple speeding ticket doesn't seem to warrant a high speed pursuit.

In a lot of areas they've told LE to step down from high speed chases and let the radio outrun the driver - call ahead for assistance.

glhs837

Power with Control

In a lot of areas they've told LE to step down from high speed chases and let the radio outrun the driver - call ahead for assistance.

I wasnt implying it was one. My point was that from a dead stop, to catch up to someone who passed you doing 60+, you will need to get up there to close the gap.

officeguy

I don't think this was even a 'chase'. Our troopers have the annoying and unsafe habit of sitting in driveways running their lidar. When they clock someone, they get what is know as 'third eye' and just dart out into traffic, often enough without activating their lights. As they have now lost 10-15 seconds on the speeder, they need to weave around traffic to catch up with him. If they turn on their lights too early, whoever is in front of them hits the brakes thinking that they are being pulled over. I have watched a head-on collision that was the end result of this state trooper idiocy (trooper forced a car out of his lane, that poor sucker rear-ended a car that was stopped in a left turn lane launching it into oncoming traffic).

BernieP

Resident PIA
I don't think this was even a 'chase'. Our troopers have the annoying and unsafe habit of sitting in driveways running their lidar. When they clock someone, they get what is know as 'third eye' and just dart out into traffic, often enough without activating their lights. As they have now lost 10-15 seconds on the speeder, they need to weave around traffic to catch up with him. If they turn on their lights too early, whoever is in front of them hits the brakes thinking that they are being pulled over. I have watched a head-on collision that was the end result of this state trooper idiocy (trooper forced a car out of his lane, that poor sucker rear-ended a car that was stopped in a left turn lane launching it into oncoming traffic).

can't fault a trooper trying to make their quota - err, there is no such thing as a quota, we only say that as a measure of productivity.

OldHillcrestGuy

After finding out more info, the ambulance was not going on a call, but was making a left turn out of Rescue La.. Like someone else mentioned if the trooper had her lights activated her dashcam would have turned on and the accident will be recorded and should clear her of any wrong doing. Someone also mentioned that this was her 2nd accident in just a few months. She was rear-ended while sitting at a stoplight not at all her fault.

officeguy

After finding out more info, the ambulance was not going on a call, but was making a left turn out of Rescue La.. Like someone else mentioned if the trooper had her lights activated her dashcam would have turned on and the accident will be recorded and should clear her of any wrong doing. Someone also mentioned that this was her 2nd accident in just a few months. She was rear-ended while sitting at a stoplight not at all her fault.

Now it makes more sense. I guess the tape will tell the tale (unless it gets 'inadvertently' deleted).

And I don't think the pic with the little dent is where the Caprice hit the bus. That may be some secondary impact.

glhs837

Power with Control
Over a week now, have there been any updates on the incident?

Nope, and I'll bet there wont be. Ambulance will remain at fault, insurance will pick up the tab. Like that time the Sheriffs boys tossed a round through a house in Wildwood practicing sniping, we'll never know.

OldHillcrestGuy

Nope, and I'll bet there wont be. Ambulance will remain at fault, insurance will pick up the tab. Like that time the Sheriffs boys tossed a round through a house in Wildwood practicing sniping, we'll never know.

Don't know what more there is to say. Ambulance driver was at fault and I believe ticketed and the insurance will coming will pick up the tab Bad news for the insurance company, cause they will have to pickup the claim for both the ambo and the cruiser (which looked to be totaled) and the medical expense's for the trooper. Ambo could be totaled too, if where it was hit on the back wheels bent the frame or twisted the box. (box being the whole back section, patient treatment area).

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Don't know what more there is to say. Ambulance driver was at fault and I believe ticketed and the insurance will coming will pick up the tab Bad news for the insurance company, cause they will have to pickup the claim for both the ambo and the cruiser (which looked to be totaled) and the medical expense's for the trooper. Ambo could be totaled too, if where it was hit on the back wheels bent the frame or twisted the box. (box being the whole back section, patient treatment area).

Doesn't really matter. Most jurisdictions are self insured anyways. Adding to the secretive, hush hush, well never tell, aspect to it.

OldHillcrestGuy

I doubt the rescue squad is self insured. The state is.

The rescue squad along with every Volunteer Fire and EMS Dept. are self insured in the Tri County area. Once it is finally determined who was actually at fault, (which I now understand is being disputed) should it be the rescue squad their insurance will cover their damaged ambo and MSP or the State of Maryland will file a claim against their insurance company to recover their losses.

The rescue squad along with every Volunteer Fire and EMS Dept. are self insured in the Tri County area. Once it is finally determined who was actually at fault, (which I now understand is being disputed) should it be the rescue squad their insurance will cover their damaged ambo and MSP or the State of Maryland will file a claim against their insurance company to recover their losses.

St. Mary's County the Volunteer Squads are not self insured, the have insurance through an insurance company just like everyone else. Can't speak for Charles or Calvert, but each company in St. Mary's buys it's own insurance and is not self insured.

glhs837

Power with Control

Whaaa? The cops already said who is at fault, according to people here, that's the end of it. :) Anyway, wonder if we'll ever hear any more about this.